Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 199 last page next page
Author Messages
houdina

Espresso: LM SMAL, GS3
Grinder: Versalab M3
Posted Fri Feb 27, 2009, 9:48am
Subject: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

The UPS truck pulled up and dropped off my new Vario grinder. Chris Coffee sent it in a large box filled with peanuts, but the Baratza packing look up being shipped on it own. Took just a few minutes to be up and grinding. It has no problem chocking my GS3, I had to back it off three coarse setting to get it in range. When I was grinding too fine there was some static popping particals out to the pf, but at the correct setting there was no problem. Compared to my Mahlkönig K30 Vario it was much slower but with less clumping(the downside of the Mahlkönig). I think the resulting espresso is better as well but I will take more time to decide. One thing the Baratza is easier to dose well with(less clumping)
Here is a photo of the two side by side, I think the wife will be much happier with this one.click here
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri Feb 27, 2009, 2:46pm
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

I changed the subject title (hope you don't mind) so that all the new Vario posts by people receiving their grinders over the next few days and weeks can post to a unified thread, instead of having a handful of them.

I'd invite others who are getting a Vario to post their thoughts here once you have time to unpack it :)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sat Feb 28, 2009, 1:56am

Mark, I dont own one, So I apoligize If I shouldnt post this. :)

But,, GREAT!!!  I was skeptical this grinder, and Im glad its more then capable, because I really wanted one!!

That is GOOD NEWS!-Ron Burgandy

Kudos,
Jeff

P.S.- hows the GS/3 workin out?  Upgradeitis cured for a month or so? ::wink::

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
tribe3
tribe3
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Faema Enova S1
Grinder: MahlkÖnig K30 - Rocky DL
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 28, 2009, 2:40am

houdina Said:

The UPS truck pulled up and dropped off my new Vario grinder. Chris Coffee sent it in a large box filled with peanuts, but the Baratza packing look up being shipped on it own. Took just a few minutes to be up and grinding. It has no problem chocking my GS3, I had to back it off three coarse setting to get it in range. When I was grinding too fine there was some static popping particals out to the pf, but at the correct setting there was no problem. Compared to my Mahlkönig K30 Vario it was much slower but with less clumping(the downside of the Mahlkönig). I think the resulting espresso is better as well but I will take more time to decide. One thing the Baratza is easier to dose well with(less clumping)
Here is a photo of the two side by side, I think the wife will be much happier with this one.click here

Posted February 27, 2009 link

Hi, You use your K30 at a setting of 5?  Other than slower is the Baratza much noisier? Thanks
shadowfax
shadowfax

Espresso: La Marzocco Shot Brewer
Grinder: Compak K10
Posted Sat Feb 28, 2009, 7:35am

houdina,

I am intrigued by your findings on the GS3 between the two grinders. What coffee are you using for comparing the two, and how would you say the Vario shots are superior to the K30 shots? Do they have more body? More clarity? Are they smoother?

If you could comment on your brewing parameters for the grinders (dose and final volume), I would really appreciate that as well.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
houdina

Posted Sat Feb 28, 2009, 7:38am

tribe3 Said:

Hi, You use your K30 at a setting of 5?  Other than slower is the Baratza much noisier? Thanks

Posted February 28, 2009 link

You can center adjustment lever on the K30, so I keep it toward the middle. I would say the Baratza is even quieter than the K30 and they both make less noise than any other grinder I have heard.

Jmanespresso Said:

P.S.- hows the GS/3 workin out?  Upgradeitis cured for a month or so? ::wink::

My GS3 is serial #3, I had it for a year and a half now and my only real itch is for the paddle group.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sat Feb 28, 2009, 9:46am

Well thats good to know the the Gs/3 can cure some upgradeitis for a while.  Its a machine I aspire to be, as Im sure many do as well.  But in all seriousness, its a beautfiful machine, really great.  Enjoy it as much as you can!

Ya know, that really is good news about the Vario, all jokes aside.  I like the way you adjust the grinds.  It seems to me that it gives you the flexibility of a stepless, but its stepped in a way.  Really a nice design, and for the lower price of the K30, seems well worth it.  The programability is nice as well, espescially in a grinder in this price range.

Im personally a Handgrinder guy, but was looking for a electric grinder for the future, as I usually have (at the VERY least) two espresso blends that im pullin with, one for milk and one for straight, and I wanted to have a seperate grinder for each, as they are usually pretty different blends.  But, since I dont NEED a new grinder, Im not going to spend a whole lot, so I was lookin to the Lelit or the Ascaso I2D, but the Vario seems like it would be superior to both, and not too much more money.  I also am currently expanding my collection of hand grinders, and will be doing my first restoration once my ebay purchase arives, so I was looking for a grinder for cheaper then the top dogs, that would still grind like a champ.  The vario is easily becoming number 1 in that respect, for me anyway.

Thanks for letting us know how its working.  Definatly keep us posted as you use it more and more and understand its personality better.  Also, enjoy your espresso, Im sure with your setup even before the Vario, its pretty hard to get bad espresso!

Kudos
Jeff

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
houdina

Posted Sat Feb 28, 2009, 10:09am

shadowfax Said:

houdina,

I am intrigued by your findings on the GS3 between the two grinders. What coffee are you using for comparing the two, and how would you say the Vario shots are superior to the K30 shots? Do they have more body? More clarity? Are they smoother?

If you could comment on your brewing parameters for the grinders (dose and final volume), I would really appreciate that as well.

I am using Hairbender right now. As far as comparing the two I have to say I am much more of a machine geek than a coffee geek. I know when I've made a good shot but as far as the nuances, I'm not the one to ask.
networkcrasher
networkcrasher

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: Nino, M3, SJ, Rocky
Vac Pot: GCBC Yama
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Hot Top, Behmor, SC/TO
Posted Sat Feb 28, 2009, 2:45pm

tribe3 Said:

Hi, You use your K30 at a setting of 5?

I don't know if you've taken the lid off of your K30 yet, but it's actually pretty easy to recalibrate the numbers to make them whatever you want.  The lid engages a cog that adjusts the burr up and down, so when you put the lid on, if the cog is moved one direction or the other, it will cause a different number to be read out front when returning to the same grind setting.

There's some red paint inside from the factory that marks the place the cog should be at prior to putting the lid back on.  When I changed burrs, the red mark didn't seem to apply anymore, causing me to shift the cog about 20* clockwise before putting the lid on.

-Mark
tribe3
tribe3

Espresso: Faema Enova S1
Grinder: MahlkÖnig K30 - Rocky DL
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 28, 2009, 2:51pm

networkcrasher Said:

I don't know if you've taken the lid off of your K30 yet, but it's actually pretty easy to recalibrate the numbers to make them whatever you want.  The lid engages a cog that adjusts the burr up and down, so when you put the lid on, if the cog is moved one direction or the other, it will cause a different number to be read out front when returning to the same grind setting.

There's some red paint inside from the factory that marks the place the cog should be at prior to putting the lid back on.  When I changed burrs, the red mark didn't seem to apply anymore, causing me to shift the cog about 20* clockwise before putting the lid on.

-Mark

Good to know. I'll open it up when the new lid (Vario) gets here. You changed burrs already??
showing page 1 of 199 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.34809589386)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+