Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Suggestions Please
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Suggestions...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
saysomething

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 5:15am
Subject: Suggestions Please

I am looking to purchase a grinder in the near future.  I am using a non-pressurised portafilter on a pos Breville; suprisingly, the shots that are being pulled are adequate.  Currently I have an Infinity that is doing double-duty - press and espresso, and I'm getting tired of the regular emptying, cleaning, brushing.  The new grinder will be for strictly espresso, and the Infinity strictly for coarse grinds.

The upper end of my budget is $250.  

Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
randytsuch

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office with...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Customized Alpenrost,...
Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 7:12am
Subject: Re: Suggestions Please

Hi
Is size an issue?
You should be able to get a used commercial grinder in your budget.  But, you need to remember to allocate around $50 to replace the burrs if you go this route.  This is also some risk this way.

Baratza makes nice home grinders, but the Preciso is the lowest end espresso capable grinder they have, and it's out of your budget.

Lelit (and some others who I don't remember their names) make some grinders in your range.  I would go with the pl53 because its stepless, but its is pushing your budget.

Good luck with your search

Randy
saysomething

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 10:50am

Thanks, Randy.

randytsuch Said:

Hi
Is size an issue?

Posted July 12, 2012 link

At the moment, yes, due to overhanging cupboards above all my counter space.  I'm considering some type of dedicated work space but not sure how to accomplish this.

randytsuch Said:

You should be able to get a used commercial grinder in your budget.  But, you need to remember to allocate around $50 to replace the burrs if you go this route.  This is also some risk this way.

Any suggestions on where to locate one?

randytsuch Said:

Baratza makes nice home grinders, but the Preciso is the lowest end espresso capable grinder they have, and it's out of your budget.

Lelit (and some others who I don't remember their names) make some grinders in your range.  I would go with the pl53 because its stepless, but its is pushing your budget.

Sounds like I may have to increase my budget.
naimnut

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus II
Drip: Braun Aeromaster
Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 1:09pm

I suggest you seek out a Cunill El Tranquilo Cafe. They can be had new for around $270, so finding one used within your budget should be possible. It will be more compact than a used commercial grinder and, perhaps, fit better esthetically in a home environment.

But, as another poster said, you should be able to pick up an excellent used commercial grinder within your budget.
randytsuch

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office with...
Roaster: Customized Alpenrost,...
Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 3:19pm

Either craigslist or ebay for used, the normal places.

Mazzer super jolly used to be the standard recommendation.  It is rather large and heavy, but will also last forever.  It would be hard to find in your budget though.

There are many other good used grinders out there, but you would have to worry about height.  Mazzer sells a short hopper, which should get it to fit under cabinets, and I have seen people do "creative" approaches to get commecial grinders to fit under cabinets.  They usually involve replacing the hopper with something, since the hoppers are usually what makes them too tall.

I had forgotten about the cunil, but that was supposed to be a good grinder for the price.

Randy
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Suggestions...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.224224090576)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+