Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
How do I use my Vernier Scale???
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > How do I use my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
SereneShelton

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2012, 10:53am
Subject: How do I use my Vernier Scale???

Hey! I've been making coffee now for over a year, but am just recently really getting into the works of espresso. I still feel like a newb sometimes, and this is one of those areas.

I have a Nuova Simonelli  MDX-A Grinder. It uses a "Vernier Scale" for the grind. I have no idea how to use it properly. I just mess with the dial and pull some shots until it's right. I have tried looking up how one works and it all just goes over my head. I don't understand how the stationary numbers on the grinder correspond with the numbers on the nob.

I've been looking through Coffeegeek and can't find anything about it at all. I didn't even know that my scale on my grinder was a vernier scale until I saw my Grinder mentioned here.

I would really love some help! Thanx!

Serene
 View Profile Link to this post
Bostonbuzz

Grinder: Pharos
Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 6:42pm
Subject: Re: How do I use my Vernier Scale???

Check these 2 websites out.  Pretty much, you read it from the start of the smaller scale to get the big number (1, 2, etc.) and then count the shorter line of  notches until one of them lines up with the other scale.  If you have 9 shorter notches, then each click is (.1, .2, etc.)  If you have 4, then they are (.2, .4, .6, .8.).

I'm just guessing this is the scheme of your grinder.  But the principle is the same.  I had not idea any commercial grinder came with a vernier.  Take a photo for us please!!!  I'm excited to get the hg-one to put a vernier on it.  

http://www.saburchill.com/physics/chapters/0095.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernier_scale
SereneShelton

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012, 5:40pm

Thank-You that helps. I feel like it should be easier then I think it is. I feel like I'm making it way harder. But I'll keep practicing and researching.

It's a step-less grinder, there is no clicking when your tuning -up the grind measurements. It'a a micro? adjustment, I think that's what it's called.  It's really nice and I can get a really good grind out of it. I 'm the new head barista at the place I work; it's a coffee bar inside of another business. So, we're pretty small scale there are only 3 baristas including myself.

I'll be sure to try to get a picture for you. However, there not uncommon. Nuova Simonelli still makes them.

Thanks for your help!
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012, 11:43am

My MDM has the following knob.  I think it's very similar to the MDX adjustment.

russel: Screen shot 2012-07-11 at 11.40.32 AM.png
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > How do I use my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.19703578949)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+