Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Encore Owner's Thread
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Encore...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012, 9:52am
Subject: Baratza Encore Owner's Thread

Hey, sorry to make a new thread but i figure this might be helpful for current and prospective Encore owners.

I just got my Encore and have what i think might be a grind consistency issue.

So the first one i ordered(from amazon) had what i thought was extremely inconsistent grinds at the settings i tested.  i tested from around a 10 to a 20 and they all had chunks and varying size grinds with smaller chunks at the finer settings.  

I contacted Baratza and they sent me a new grinder.

I just got the replacement grinder yesterday and tested it again and am again having similar grind consistency issues.  

here are some pictures i took:
setting 20  docs.google.com/open?id=0B8gUAtY7bvxmMDZyNElETHNXRVk
setting 17  docs.google.com/open?id=0B8gUAtY7bvxmLUp0MVhWZENDcXc
setting 15  docs.google.com/open?id=0B8gUAtY7bvxmYnprYzJFZy0xc28
setting 11  docs.google.com/open?id=0B8gUAtY7bvxmTEhybmR1SU9nRDQ

i was told that i should just use a finer grind setting.  

I just tried out a 9 setting for my aeropress and the grind seemed to be too coarse as the plunger went down a bit too easy.    I'll give the 7 setting a try later.
On my older virtuoso, i would usually use somewhere around 16-20 for my aeropress.  

Is this pretty typical for the Encore?  

I havent tried it yet for espresso but if i'm already this low on the settings and it's still too coarse for my aeropress, i cant imagine this would be very good for espresso.

*looks like the links wont process correctly.  just copy and paste the link
 View Profile Link to this post
frank828

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012, 10:21am
Subject: Re: Baratza Encore Owner's Thread

i also wanted to make sure to mention that baratza support is being helpful as ever.

i feel a bit bad that i started this thread while i am currently in communication with Baratza support.  I dont mean to make Baratza look bad, i just really wanted to get some feedback from other Encore owners.

Mods, i completely understand if you want to delete this thread.  i kinda regret i started it now because Baratza has always been good to me.
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012, 3:29pm

Honestly, they dont look overly inconsistent. They just look very coarse. I wonder what the calibration is on your grinder. Might it just be perceived inconsistency through coarseness? Just my guess based on the size of the grind in the image.
frank828

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012, 3:39pm

yeah i think that this is probably a calibration issue.  i was able to get an acceptable grind for my aeropress...using a 6-7 setting.  

baratza is sending me replacement that they will test before sending out.  hopefully the third is the charm.
Sam21

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012, 3:48pm

frank828 Said:

yeah i think that this is probably a calibration issue.  i was able to get an acceptable grind for my aeropress...using a 6-7 setting.  

baratza is sending me replacement that they will test before sending out.  hopefully the third is the charm.

Posted June 28, 2012 link

I just looked at #20 on my computer (was on my phone before) and that is a ridiculous coarse grind. I would be willing to bet that your calibration screw is in the far end of the coarse window. Before sending it back you should open it up and take a look! They had similar calibration inconsistency with their Preciso on release, or at least I think they did. Either way, even 15 looks like a press grind. It's actually quite a nice press grind consistency-wise! I'd be really interested to hear where that calibration screw is!

Seeing as this was the case with Encore #1 and #2, I bet they are just calibrated very coarsely, which is something you are able to adjust (although it should be calibrated from the factory).
Sebastien

Espresso: La Marzocco GS3
Grinder: Mini Mazzer
Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 2:09pm

Hi,
I just received my Baratza Encore. And like you, I found the setting very coarse. I have a question : in wich setting the burrs touch ? Without beans, I heard the metallic sound in setting 8-9.
Seb
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frank828

Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 2:19pm

it says in the manual to not run the grinder empty or you may risk damaging the burrs.  

that said, i did notice the sound change a bit when adjusting around 10 or lower.  of course i only let it run for a moment without beans at those settings just to test.

i ended up getting a replacement encore from baratza that they tested and i think properly calibrated before sending to me(i see screwdriver marks on the side by the base where they must have taken the grinder apart).  my grinds on setting 16 on the replacement look and feel(on aeropress) like what i was getting around an 8 setting before.

i have a feeling that a batch or two of these may have left the factory improperly calibrated.

you should definitely contact baratza tech support for help.
Sam21

Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 2:25pm

frank828 Said:

it says in the manual to not run the grinder empty or you may risk damaging the burrs.  

that said, i did notice the sound change a bit when adjusting around 10 or lower.  of course i only let it run for a moment without beans at those settings just to test.

i ended up getting a replacement encore from baratza that they tested and i think properly calibrated before sending to me(i see screwdriver marks on the side by the base where they must have taken the grinder apart).  my grinds on setting 16 on the replacement look and feel(on aeropress) like what i was getting around an 8 setting before.

i have a feeling that a batch or two of these may have left the factory improperly calibrated.

you should definitely contact baratza tech support for help.

Posted July 5, 2012 link

Happy to hear your grinder is now calibrated!

Sebastian, go to Baratza's website and look under troubleshooting. They have instructions with step by step pictures on how to calibrate the grinder.

It does sound as if some of the first Encores are calibrated very coarse. Either way, easy to adjust.

Happy grinding!
frank828

Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 2:31pm

Sam21 Said:

I just looked at #20 on my computer (was on my phone before) and that is a ridiculous coarse grind. I would be willing to bet that your calibration screw is in the far end of the coarse window. Before sending it back you should open it up and take a look! They had similar calibration inconsistency with their Preciso on release, or at least I think they did. Either way, even 15 looks like a press grind. It's actually quite a nice press grind consistency-wise! I'd be really interested to hear where that calibration screw is!

Seeing as this was the case with Encore #1 and #2, I bet they are just calibrated very coarsely, which is something you are able to adjust (although it should be calibrated from the factory).

Posted June 28, 2012 link

sorry sam, i never got a chance to open up the other grinders and i didnt wanna have any issues with baratza that i opened up the grinders.  i'd probably bet that the grinder was improperly set at the factory, though.
Sebastien

Espresso: La Marzocco GS3
Grinder: Mini Mazzer
Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 2:32pm

Thanks for your answers. I will go to the website Baratza ;-)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Encore...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.294408082962)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+