Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Grindz frequency on Vario
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grindz frequency...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 3:00pm
Subject: Grindz frequency on Vario

With a Vario, which has a reputation for minimal grounds retention, and having flat burrs, is it as important to do this as it is with conical burr grinders? I just finished using a pretty oily french roast and I was thinking of running it before going back to full city or medium roasts. I know it won't hurt, but it was something I could post about :)
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 10:58pm
Subject: Re: Grindz frequency on Vario

Using Grindz is supposed to remove coffee oils sticking to the burrs, that will get rancid over the time, not eliminating grounds retention. So there's not much difference between a flat and a conical burr grinder.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
RodUK

Espresso: Isomac Tea II ... Espro...
Grinder: Vario-W ... Espro Tamper
Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012, 4:22am

Gig103 Said:

With a Vario, which has a reputation for minimal grounds retention, and having flat burrs, is it as important to do this as it is with conical burr grinders? I just finished using a pretty oily french roast and I was thinking of running it before going back to full city or medium roasts. I know it won't hurt, but it was something I could post about :)

Posted June 26, 2012 link

I have a Vario-W and after using up my free sample of Grindz, I followed the advice I saw here on CoffeeGeek to use rice (basmati rice to be specific as it's what we have in the house) and save a lot of money. The result is lovely clean burrs, even with the oily beans I'm currently using. There is an addedd benefit to using rice because it is intended for human consumption so missing a few tiny particles when brushing out the residue won't hurt us and I don't waste beans by grind flushing with the beans! I do this every time I open a new 1kg bag of beans which is about every 4 weeks. On a similar vein I saw a recommendation to use bicarbonate of soda for the monthly backflush of the espresso machine, but I have to use up a container of Cafiza first!

BW
Rod
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012, 1:06pm

NobbyR Said:

Using Grindz is supposed to remove coffee oils sticking to the burrs, that will get rancid over the time, not eliminating grounds retention. So there's not much difference between a flat and a conical burr grinder.

Posted June 26, 2012 link

My connection between grounds retention and the oils is build-up, and if the oils prevent the grounds from exiting. But now that you point it out, it makes sense.

RodUK Said:

I have a Vario-W and after using up my free sample of Grindz, I followed the advice I saw here on CoffeeGeek to use rice (basmati rice to be specific as it's what we have in the house) and save a lot of money. The result is lovely clean burrs, even with the oily beans I'm currently using.

Posted June 27, 2012 link

Thanks; I have a three pack that I got with my machine (plus the one Baratza included), after which this will be handy!

RodUK Said:

On a similar vein I saw a recommendation to use bicarbonate of soda for the monthly backflush of the espresso machine, but I have to use up a container of Cafiza first!

I hadn't heard that one; in what dose would I want to do this? The same 1/2 tsp that Cafiza comes in?
RodUK

Espresso: Isomac Tea II ... Espro...
Grinder: Vario-W ... Espro Tamper
Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012, 3:25am

Gig103 Said:

Thanks; I have a three pack that I got with my machine (plus the one Baratza included), after which this will be handy!I hadn't heard that one; in what dose would I want to do this? The same 1/2 tsp that Cafiza comes in?

Yes, it is also known as baking soda which should be cheaper than a pharmaceutical grade sod. bicarb, I recall the advice being a straight substitution so 1/2 tsp should be fine :)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grindz frequency...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.293177127838)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+