Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Vario freezing up
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario freezing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
coffeeshone

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 1:06pm
Subject: Vario freezing up

Hello folks,
In the few months since my last visit on the site I've spent many hours and pounds of coffee becoming acquainted with my new espresso setup. I realize I've developed a higher level of awareness by how lousy the espresso seems whenever I go to a coffee shop now.

I wanted to reach out for advice though. Recently my baratza Vario has frozen mid grind a couple times. The grind will clump up and then the thing just freezes. I looked at troubleshooting on the Baratza site and that problem leads you to a solution that a belt has broken on the machine. I know this is not the case though because the 2 times this has happened I've poured out the remaining beans, turned the settings to coarse and gotten it to fire up again. Problem solved.

This never used to happen though and I'm wondering whats going on and if this is a sign of some looming problem with the unit. I've only had it for about 6 months so I'm a little concerned. I used grindz  yesterday and that seems to help for a couple shots, but then this same thing happened again this morning. Do I need to recalibrate the machine? New Burrs? I've only had it for 6 months, but it has seen moderate use (3-8 shots a day)

Any advice?

-Tyler
 View Profile Link to this post
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 5:26pm
Subject: Re: Vario freezing up

grasping at straws here…belt slipping maybe?

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 5:31pm

coffeeshone Said:

Hello folks,
In the few months since my last visit on the site I've spent many hours and pounds of coffee becoming acquainted with my new espresso setup. I realize I've developed a higher level of awareness by how lousy the espresso seems whenever I go to a coffee shop now.

I wanted to reach out for advice though. Recently my baratza Vario has frozen mid grind a couple times. The grind will clump up and then the thing just freezes. I looked at troubleshooting on the Baratza site and that problem leads you to a solution that a belt has broken on the machine. I know this is not the case though because the 2 times this has happened I've poured out the remaining beans, turned the settings to coarse and gotten it to fire up again. Problem solved.

This never used to happen though and I'm wondering whats going on and if this is a sign of some looming problem with the unit. I've only had it for about 6 months so I'm a little concerned. I used grindz  yesterday and that seems to help for a couple shots, but then this same thing happened again this morning. Do I need to recalibrate the machine? New Burrs? I've only had it for 6 months, but it has seen moderate use (3-8 shots a day)

Any advice?

-Tyler

Posted June 25, 2012 link

Call Baratza. They will help you far more than anyone on this forum. Nothing against the fine folks on this forum, but Baratza has a fantastic support team that will help diagnose and fix the issue.
mayong_md

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 6:01pm

Hi coffeeshone. I believe I HAD the same problem just a few days back.

I experienced what you are describing. I did a lot of googling but ended up with nothing. I was prepared to open the Vario myself, since I am from the Philippines and surely, no Baratza service here.

I use the Vario with a pre dose of the beans I am to grind. I grind for espresso 95% of the time. My setting is coarse: 1 notch, fine: 9 notches down.

Here's the history of how my problem started:

- 3 weeks ago, I started hearing a different high pitched whine when I reach the end of the grind and beans are all ground. I removed the burrs and cleaned  chamber with a brush and compressed air. The whining remained. I opened the back case cover as per instruction in YOUTUBE. I saw a lot of ground coffee in the chamber, maybe a teaspoonfull. Cleaned again with fine brush and air. Restarted, whine still there. So I gave up, but at least I got the grinder clean.

- a week ago, I had your same problem. The vario would stop mid grind. I'd press the start button on and off and this would restart the motor but was a hit or miss. I'd even lightly jolt the grinder and this would help. I figured something came loose when I cleaned the insides. I prepared to open the back again. Before I did, I checked the hopper "tang" that sets the micro switch. Mine was cracked and had a "play" that moved inward half a millimeter. I fiberglassed/epoxied this part and this helped the stopping, but for a while. So I checked the microswitch, and noticed that even if I manually depressed it, the motor would or wouldn't start. So I figured - maybe it was the switch. Maybe the inside connections. I sprayed the switch with contact cleaner and - VOILA!

NO problem since. Been about 4 days now and the grinder works without a hiccup. Oh, maybe once, but it was the hopper not seating properly.

So, hope this helps. BTW, I've had the Vario about the same time as you have. But have not used it as much as you have :-)

Mario
coffeeshone

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2012, 3:52pm

Hey Folks,
Thanks for chiming in. I called Baratza and they sent me a completely new machine. Excellent customer service, so kudos to them.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario freezing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.213269948959)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+