Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
On a budget - Hario Mini Mill Slim now (+upgrade to PHAROS later) vs OE LIDO now
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > On a budget -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Acumen

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012, 3:27pm
Subject: On a budget - Hario Mini Mill Slim now (+upgrade to PHAROS later) vs OE LIDO now

So I decided to starting working on my coffee skills, and of course am starting with a grinder. I have done a lot of research and am still stuck on picking one. My daily brew has been store bought espresso grind, out of a stove top Bialetti, or more often a cheap drip machine, and I am happy drinking that. I have done some experimenting with pour overs and fresh roasted beans, but it just doesn't work well with my blade grinder, to the point where I prefer the cheap store espresso.

It may be some time before I can get a real espresso machine. In the meantime I would like to be able to at least make a good pour-over and Bialetti cup. As I understand it, the Mini Mill Slim is the least expensive, passable grinder, but would need to be upgraded when getting a machine. Something like the LIDO if I would be able to use it down the line for real espresso as well would be great, but I haven't found much about it being used in this way. I guess it is too new. The PHAROS is more then I would like to spend now, but would be a good upgrade option from the Hario if I don't get the LIDO

If I would need to upgrade again anyway, I would rather save the $ if I can get away with the Mini Mill for now. If the LIDO will perform well for all, I would rather get the higher quality now. I only mention hand grinders because I figure you get the same burr at half the price so for a budget it is going to be the best option.

Thoughts?
 View Profile Link to this post
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012, 3:51pm
Subject: Re:

if those are your only options and you really dont want to spend much money, i'd suggest just using the mini mill.  you wont be getting a huge noticeable difference in the cup going from the mini mill to another hand grinder when doing drip coffee(...well, in my limited experience with drip grinders.).

if i were in your case, i would probably go with something that is for drip ONLY and when im ready for espresso, look for something else.   If you really want one grinder for both espresso and drip, the cheapest one i'd suggest is probably something like the baratza preciso.  Once you do actually start getting serious about espresso, you'll most likely want a separate drip and espresso grinder.  It's a pain in the butt to have to dial in the grinder each and every time you switch from one method to another.  In my case, i started with a refurb Baratza Virtuoso and then purchased a used Mazzer Super Jolly when i decided to do espresso.  

the reason i dont suggest the pharos or lido for you is that the pharos really is only excellent for espresso and the lido is excellent for drip.  neither one will be excellent for both.   here's a good comparison thread on some of the high end hand grinders.  
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
Acumen

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012, 4:11pm

Great! I have read that article and basically everything else I could find on high quality low cost grinders, and I guess somewhere along the line took in too much information and started hoping the LIDO would work well for espresso because I like the design. I will keep the PHAROS on my *drool* list, and pick up a Mini Mill to help me figure out what way I want to steer my habit. I will keep my eyes open and that way have some available fund to throw at a more substantial used grinder if one pops up.
diggi
diggi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012, 5:32pm

Acumen Said:

....and pick up a Mini Mill to help me figure out what way I want to steer my habit.

Posted June 24, 2012 link

I love the mini mill for the aeropress. 17g doses. However, I use chemex as well, but have never gone beyond thinking about using the mini for this use.  17g pretty much taps out what I would want to grind at once (maybe 20g max).  Anything more is too big a PITA.  So FWIW, keep that in mind if you require larger doses of coffee at once (depending on which pourover technique/how big a batch you are making). If that were the case, I'd consider some of baratza offerings, perhaps the encore. Or see if the LIDO has more of an 'attack' to allow quicker grinding.....if memory serves from the reading I've done, it doesn't.
frank828

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012, 5:45pm

the encore is definitely one that would probably work well for you if you wanted to focus on home drip brewing.  They are fairly cheap at $129.

after starting out with a Hario Skerton(that is now a work grinder paired with an aeropress) and then going to the Virtuoso and Encore, i cant imagine going back to a hand grinder for home use.  Like diggi said, too big a PITA.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012, 6:29pm

Buy the OE Pharos now and you will have great (not good but great - capital G great) coffee forever.  Espresso later? You are more than covered - your espresso will be capital G great forever as well.  I have a slew of espresso capable grinders, but I find myself picking up my Pharos 90% of the time.  

Baratza Preciso only for large coffee pots (45 - 60g of beans), Lehnartz hand mill for pour over, press, and Aeropress.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
frank828

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012, 6:40pm

EricBNC Said:

Buy the OE Pharos now and you will have great (not good but great - capital G great) coffee forever.  Espresso later? You are more than covered - your espresso will be capital G great forever as well.  I have a slew of espresso capable grinders, but I find myself picking up my Pharos 90% of the time.  

Baratza Preciso only for large coffee pots (45 - 60g of beans), Lehnartz hand mill for pour over, press, and Aeropress.

eric, is the pharos really that Great for regular drip coffee?  i had always had the impression that the LIDO was the grinder for drip and the Pharos for espresso.

all i really have to go on is the comparison from this post   Click Here (www.home-barista.com)  

In this one test, the pharos seemed to do the worst of the three in the clever.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012, 8:07pm

I only have my own comparison and now the link you provided to go on too.  I grind a lot finer than what is shown in the link for pour over (Hario V60 mostly) and I find the Pharos more than equal to the task. I use my Lehnartz mainly because it is so incredibly fast (no idea why) for 16 - 18g of coffee - Preciso fast for this amount really.

The Pharos stays dialed in for espresso mostly, but I did run tests for it at V60 grind out of curiosity.  Pricey for a drip grinder, sure, but priceless as an espresso grinder which the OP expresses interest in.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Acumen

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012, 8:12pm

diggi Said:

I love the mini mill for the aeropress. 17g doses. However, I use chemex as well, but have never gone beyond thinking about using the mini for this use.  17g pretty much taps out what I would want to grind at once (maybe 20g max).  Anything more is too big a PITA.  So FWIW, keep that in mind if you require larger doses of coffee at once (depending on which pourover technique/how big a batch you are making). If that were the case, I'd consider some of baratza offerings, perhaps the encore. Or see if the LIDO has more of an 'attack' to allow quicker grinding.....if memory serves from the reading I've done, it doesn't.

The majority of my drip brews are 10oz, none larger than 20oz (small apartment so no diner parties over here). I don't anticipate getting frustrated with a hand grinder. In general, doing things by hand is kind of my style.

I was considering throwing the Encore in the original post, but felt that if I was going to spend that much I would rather go for the LIDO. I was thinking the more expensive LIDO should have a higher percentage of the cost in the burr than the Encore and would therefore out perform it.

EricBNC Said:

I would love the PHAROS now, but it is slightly out of my budget at the moment. I am curious about your response to frank828. Maybe I should just wait a couple weeks and purchase the PHAROS? Should I maybe try and track down a Lehnartz for now? I see they sell on Ebay regularly in the sub $30 range.

*edit* I see you answered many of my questions while I was typing
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012, 8:24pm

Acumen Said:

I was thinking the more expensive LIDO should have a higher percentage of the cost in the burr than the Encore and would therefore out perform it.

The LIDO might well outperform the Encore (not sure, as I only have a LIDO and haven't read anything comparing these two grinders), but if so my feeling is it would have more to do with burr stability than the burrs, themselves. Could be wrong. Anyway, the LIDO's great, but I don't (and won't) use mine for espresso; that's the Preciso's job around here. Do you have room in your heart (and kitchen) for two grinders, one of which would be reserved for espresso duty?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > On a budget -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.313722133636)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+