Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
OK was this a deal or a flop?  (Update...it just came today)
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > OK was this a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 8:36am
Subject: Re: OK was this a deal or a flop? ( my new grinder)

One thing you will appreciate regarding the bottomless portafilter and the Carezza is the extra room for your cup it will give you.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
 View Profile Link to this post
Burd
Burd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID'd
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MCF
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Cuisinart Grind & Brew...
Roaster: Behmor + i-Roast
Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 10:00am
Subject: Re: OK was this a deal or a flop? (Update...it just came today)

Well UPS rang the bell a few hours ago.  The grinder showed up well packaged and with very little grounds in it.  I took the top off to brush out the burrs and they looked and felt brand new!! There was I would say less that 2-3 grams in the entire machine.  I cleaned out the hopper and the doser.  The grinder looks like it just came from a store.  So in go the beans....wow what a difference a good grinder makes.  The stepless adjustments are great.  I think at $160 this was a score!!  Plus it doesn't look out of place in my kitchen like some of the other commercial grinders.  I'll be sure to post a review after I get more time playing with it.
Burd
Burd

Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 11:32am
Subject: Re: OK was this a deal or a flop?  (Update...it just came today)

It keeps getting better.  After dialing it in...had a bit of waste since this was the first time I've ever done this... it had to be the BEST espresso to ever come out of my machine.  When I got the grind right I had the crema I saw in all of the videos I watched.  I never thought I could get that out of my machine and was convinced I needed to upgrade, boy was I wrong!  Now I see why people say they can get a better shot with a good grinder and a $50 machine than with a bad grinder and a $1500 machine.  I guess my original post about was it a deal and good enough is solved.  No matter what I would have paid for it, I now feel it was worth every penny after looking at what it is producing.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 1:23pm

:<D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 10:36pm

A bottomless may allow you to get a triple basket! :)
fox2000
fox2000

Espresso: Isomac Millenium I
Grinder: Mazzer S.J. Auto & MDX
Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 12:29pm

I am curious did you try the oxyclean? Would it get the coffee residue off on my clear (brown) plastic doser? Or is there something else I should use? I don't want to make a special trip or wait for mail order so preferably something I can buy at the supermarket or find in my house? Thanks
Burd
Burd

Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 12:48pm

To be honest it was 100% cleaner than I thought it was going to be.  I dusted out the burrs and wiped down the body with a sponge.  The hopper that was a bit discolored from the beans was as easy as dish soap and a green scrubby pad.  It looks like brand new now.  When he said very little use he meant it :P
fox2000
fox2000

Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 1:24pm

Thats awesome sounds like you got a great deal I recently bought a MDX off CL and the machine is fairly clean but there are parts of the doser that have caked on residue. I am sure it is very easy to clean but I am hesitant to use any cleaners on it for fear it may damage the plastic or taint the coffee in the future. I am sure there is a post somewhere that talks about this but I haven't been able to find one apparently I am a horrible searcher:) Thanks for the fast response though!
naimnut

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Braun Aeromaster
Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012, 1:38pm
Subject: How to clean coffee oil residue from the inside of a plastic hopper

Based on what the OP said about the condition of his grinder, I'm not sure this topic is of any further interest. But IIRC someone else posted a follow up question on this thread, so I'll in my .02 and experience. This works well, and does NOT leave a smelly odor in the hopper, nor does it result in any abrasion to the plastic hopper.

With the plastic hopper removed from the grinder, dampen a paper towel or cotton ball with some straight ammonia. It does not take much. This will dissolve the oily residue and stains. Follow up with a paper towel dampened with water. Note - ammonia evaporates very fast and more quickly than water.

Your nose is (probably) very sensitive to the potential odors left behind by any cleaning solution. My cleaning project resulted in a new-looking hopper and doser and no odors or fumes.
fox2000
fox2000

Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012, 2:14pm
Subject: Re: How to clean coffee oil residue from the inside of a plastic hopper

Thank you for answering I unintentionally high jacked the thread oops. I will try that your right I have a strong sense of smell ironically I would have never even considered ammonia as it is so potent smelling but it makes since that it would evaporate quickly taking the smell with it. Thank you again :)
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > OK was this a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.27577495575)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+