Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
preciso not fine enough
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > preciso not fine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
j123

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 4:35pm
Subject: preciso not fine enough

I have a silvia machine and just purchased the preciso. Even at the finest setting both macro and micro the grind is too course for the machine. I followed the trouble shooting guides and it is calibrated for fine and nothing is broken.  The shots are well over 2.5 oz in 25 seconds

I've seen a few posts on the forum about this issue.  I've also seen that an average espresso grind for some people is 10 and others 5

it seems most people are sent a new machine. I'll call support but I'm curious what the issue is and if there is any thing that can be done to fix in the meantime.
 View Profile Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 4:39pm
Subject: Re: preciso not fine enough

Sorry to hear it. Using fresh coffee?
j123

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 7:52pm

I am, but shouldn't old beans also grind to a fine powder on the lowest setting?
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 8:01pm

A little more information might help.  Are you, or Silvia new at this?  Has Silvia been working fine already with another grinder?  What basket and dose?  What does the grind feel like;  salt, sugar, sand, powdered sugar?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
j123

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 6:11am

This is the first machine I've owned, I've used others in the past and am familiar with the procedure.  I bought the Preciso to be used with the silvia because I did not have a grinder.  While I was waiting for the grinder to arrive, I had some bean ground to an "espresso" grind.  This ground felt like light powder with just a little grit.  I put 14g in a double basket and tamped with about 30lbs force.  This produced a little over 2 oz in 25 seconds.

When I compared the grind from the preciso to this grind, it was significantly more course.  Maybe like sugar or bigger and the water flowed out way too fast.

I know they advertise the lower range being a "turkish" grind, but I can't see how that would even be possible.

I thought it was desirable to be able to grind fine enough to restrict the machine, and then dial back from there.  This way you have a range of options.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 12:05pm

Did you try it out of the box or take it apart first?  Have you taken it apart and is so, did all of the parts go back together completely.  Sometimes the upper bur does not set all the way down.  If all is correct, then you need to use the Baratza site and look at calibrating and changing the screw position.  Mine worked out of the box at about 10 for espresso.  My Gaggia is set at about 9 bar pressure.  There are several threads about adjusting, but I would use the Baratza site, and if not fixed by tomorrow, call them directly.  They are very helpful.

Yes to your thought that you should be able to choke the machine and then back off and have some room to adjust.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
JVBorella
JVBorella
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 5:03pm

Even after recalibrating as Fine as possible my recently received Preciso was not suitable for espresso. Emailed Baratza & after running through their trouble shooting guide with no problems showing they agreed to send out a replacement. I asked that they test & adjust this one before shipping & they agreed to do so. Very nice folks to deal with but it's a shame that so many of their products have issues right out of the box.

John
j123

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 7:21pm

Thank you for the info. At what level are you currently grinding and how has the grinder been holding up?
JVBorella
JVBorella
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012, 5:34pm

Won't receive the replacement Preciso until Wednesday but it's main use will be grinding for my Cremina & Strega which I've set up in my shop for the summer.

John
GlennM

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2012, 8:59am

I've had a Preciso for about 1.5 years and find that with my machine (Saeco Aroma) and using a modified unpressurized pf, anything below 10 is too fine and will clog the machine.  I grind at either 10 with macro set courser or 11 and a little finer.  I brew only double shots.

Although your expresso machine is different, it sure sounds like something is not right with the grinder and/or machine.  Hope you get things figured out and are on your way to lots of good espresso times ahead!

Glenn
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > preciso not fine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.238258123398)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+