Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
OK was this a deal or a flop?  (Update...it just came today)
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > OK was this a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Burd
Burd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID'd
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MCF
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Cuisinart Grind & Brew...
Roaster: Behmor + i-Roast
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 5:10pm
Subject: OK was this a deal or a flop?  (Update...it just came today)

Well I finally got a grinder after looking patiently for almost 2 months..I finally found a Nuova Simonelli MCF that is 3 years old and first 2 years got zero use and last 1 year was light use only.  There are no scratches on it at all, the doser plastic is still clear like new and the hopper is lightly stained (looks like half way they had it full and left it)  I will be getting it in my hands in about 4 days and will post a pic.  I'm hopin it was a deal and I made the right choice not spending the extra on a refurb Preciso.  

To add, this is an espresso only ginder.  I won't be using it for drip or press.

Also is there a magical cleaning solution to clean the hopper and get all the oils out and make it pretty again?

On a side note and in the wrong forum.....is a portafilter worth getting right away or is it something that can wait a few months?

Ill be interested on what everyone has to say :)
 View Profile Link to this post
AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 5:26pm
Subject: Re: OK was this a deal or a flop? ( my new grinder)

Burd Said:

On a side note and in the wrong forum.....is a portafilter worth getting right away or is it something that can wait a few months?

Posted June 15, 2012 link

Not sure I understand this question.

What portafilter are you using now and why are you wondering about a new one?  BTW, the word "portafilter" is sometimes used to refer to the handle and sometimes used to refer to the filter basket - I'm not sure which is correct but I always mean the whole handle assembly if I say portafilter and I say "basket" if I mean the actual filter the coffee goes into.

Your side bar indicates you have a Gaggia Carezza.  Is that still the machine you will be using?  The stock portafilter (I'm referring to the handle and the brass cup that holds the filter basket) is good quality and no need for a different one unless you want a bottomless PF.

The stock double basket that comes with the Gaggia is fine (except I just learned that in some countries the new Gaggias only come with pressurized, doublewall baskets).  I have used the stock Gaggia  basket and it works fine - I've used the HQ and Microfine baskets available at some suppliers and they work fine too and I can dose a little less or grind a little more coarse in the HQ/Microfine baskets to get the same pour.  And I've recently tried the expensive VST baskets - and they work fine as well. If you want to dose higher than 18-19 grams then you probably need a larger basket than the stock Gaggia.
Burd
Burd

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 7:49pm

it would help if i typed in the whole words..."bottomless" portafilter....sorry my mistake in typing it, see what happens when a person rushes

yes im using the stock one it came with.  just wondering about the bottomless.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 8:45pm

I haven't used one but that grinder looks like a well built model for espresso.  If it is in good working shape it wont be a flop.

Side note - to me "deal" implies a comparison between value and price while "flop" implies a comparison of functionality asking "does it work or not?".  It can be a great, fair, average or bad deal price wise but still be a great grinder.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Burd
Burd

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 9:05pm

Side note - to me "deal" implies a comparison between value and price while "flop" implies a comparison of functionality asking "does it work or not?".  It can be a great, fair, average or bad deal price wise but still be a great grinder.

I guess by your definition I was asking both questions without even knowing it.  Deal as in good price for a capable grinder.  Flop being it's not a capable grinder to use at any price.  So I guess I should have said deal and/or a flop since I was asking two questions in one.  I only ask because if I have picked up one and only one thing from the weeks of reading the how to articles and forum searching here it would be get a good grinder.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 9:20pm

Your grinder will be fine for espresso. Messier than some (I have a friend who had one, now has a Vario) but did a good job of grinding, IMO.
Yes to the bottomless PF.
If a triple basket comes with it, I'd eschew using it (the triple basket) for a while, and perfect your technique using a double basket. Saves coffee as well!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 9:26pm

Looks like most people who bothered to write a review like the results. JBL was a bit negative and another mentioned his motor was not holding up after 3 years while the rest give it high marks. Probably comparable to the Mazzer Mini for grinding but with a lighter build quality. Considering the Mazzer Mini is built to commercial standards this isn't a deal breaker - the much loved B. Vario isn't built like a Mini either.

http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders/nuova_simonelli_mcf

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Burd
Burd

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 9:55pm

Thank you all for the fast posts.  I can sleep easy tonight knowing I'm in good shape now on a grinder.  I ordered a bottomless PF as well.  Guess it will be nice to see exactly what is going on in there and as a learning tool.  I guess my weekend will be spent roasting coffee in preparation for the arrival of my new toys.  If i time it right it will be resting for just the right amount of time.  I have enjoyed roasting for the past 4-5 years for drip only.  Now I have a new reason to roast more.  I have watched countless videos on dialing in a grinder so hopefully that will go rather smooth.  I tossed some grindz in that bottomless PF order as well.  I'm sure I will have some cleaning of the grinder when it arrives.

I had read all of the reviews before and like you said about JBL, even though they had the motor problems they sill managed to give it an 8.0 overall with the lowest being a 7 on quality.  Guess it couldn't have been that bad to give it an 8 overall.  If you look at what they replaced it with they aren't even in the same league as the MCF.  How can you compare a K30 $1500/$1600+ retail and the other one, a Cimbali Max Hybrid which is nearly $900 retail.  I'm not sure you can compare them to a grinder in this price range.  For that money I would hope the were build like a Mack truck.

Thanks again folks.  I really appreciate the help.
sgreen
sgreen
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Viblemme Replica E-61
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 5:36am

Nice grinder. It's certainly a great place to start.

For me, the magic solution is OxyClean. It cuts through caked on coffee crud like you wouldn't believe. I even use it to backflush. I use the stuff without the blue crystals and rinse well.
Burd
Burd

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 7:27am

Will OxyClean get rid of the stain (if that's the right word) on the hopper?  It's not totally clear anymore, it has that coffee oil tint to it.  The doser is still clear though, thank goodness.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > OK was this a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.288015842438)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+