Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Vario or Vario W?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario or Vario...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jnboone

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Aerobie
Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 8:16pm
Subject: Vario or Vario W?

I'm looking to buy my first (and hopefully last) grinder as I embark into the world of espresso.  While my primary concern is espresso, I would like one that can grind for the Aerobie, drip, and possibly french press as well.  As a newb who wants to do it right and not have to upgrade for a very long time I'm looking at the Vario's.  Any input on which one will make life the simplest?  Will the Vario's meet my grinding wish list?

Thanks!!
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 9:32pm
Subject: Re: Vario or Vario W?

jnboone Said:

I'm looking to buy my first (and hopefully last) grinder as I embark into the world of espresso.  While my primary concern is espresso, I would like one that can grind for the Aerobie, drip, and possibly french press as well.  As a newb who wants to do it right and not have to upgrade for a very long time I'm looking at the Vario's.  Any input on which one will make life the simplest?  Will the Vario's meet my grinding wish list?

Thanks!!

Posted June 14, 2012 link

Jeff, welcome to the CG Forums.
I own both a Vario-W and precise (with Esatto attachment). The Esatto ($129) enables a Preciso to be a grind by weight grinder, as is the VW.
I've also had the regular Vario. Both Vario's do an excellent job of espresso, and the other grinds too.
If you have a scale, and you like the fruitier aspects of an espresso shot, why not go with the Preciso? You can add the Esatto attachment down the road.
I love my VarioW, and it is my go espresso grinder, as I like the flat burr profile with my lever machine.
If you're going with pump style machine (say an HX), the slightly brighter conical burr of the Preciso might be a flavorful combo.

Still, it's hard to beat the Vario (grinds with a timer) or Vario W (grinds by weight.)
Both will give you a good shot at repeatable shots, assuming you don't switch back and forth between coffees for ESPRESSO.
Once you do, you will have to slightly recalibrate...either both grind fineness and grind time (Vario), or grind fineness and weight yield setting (Vario-W.)

Prolly just got you MORE perplexed! :>D
Hope not.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jnboone

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 3:31am

Thank you so much.  Sounds like you have the experiences I need to evaluate my decision (and I'm looking at a HX - NS Oscar).  It looks like you are certainly a fan of weight based grinding regardless of beverage.  Question:

When I change coffees for drip and espresso what is involved in recalibrating?  I understand I will have to change the grind, but I thought (as a newb possibly) that if I know the coffees, I would simply be changing the grind.  What is involved in recalibrating?  Curious as to process, and amount of time involved.  Also, as I'm trying to avoid getting caught up in 'upgraditis', if you were only going to buy one grinder would you choose?  This is a significant investment for me, and I don't want to regret my decision and have to be stuck with a machine when I wish I had purchased something different in the beginning.  

One last question (which the other information helps with as well).  If my wife has to use either, and she doesn't like having to mess with things she's not familiar with, will she find recalibrating (or simply using) the Precisio or the Vario-W any easier than the other - especially if she's using a different coffee or making a different drink that the machine was used for last time?  I don't think either of us have a palate educated enough (at least at this point) to want to choose different grinds personally.  I think we were looking to say "for espresso with this coffee set the grinder to ____, and for drip with this coffee set the grinder to ___.  Maybe I'm still too ignorant of the whole thing to jump into it.  I know if she views it as a hassle she will be unhappy with the whole idea.  Can it be that simple with either of these grinders - or any others?  She's no techie, so maybe I should look at what she'll find the easiest (including weight based or not) as my deciding factor.  Greatly appreciate the help!!!
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 11:31am

No grinder is good for switching coffee beans often; you have to dump the beans, shake it out, grind out some leftovers, and then go through the process of determining which setting is good for the new beans.  As a result, for me to do french press I just need to move both levers all the way to the bottom and it's good enough. The conical burr grinders like the Preciso do a better job (consistency-wise) for french press with less fines making it through the filter. But I make due because the grinder with espresso is so nice and the programmable time is convenient. I think it would do great with Aeropress as well.

I think either is easy to adjust, it's just a difference of what manner you adjust in - and always run the grinder when tightening (going finer). The Vario, with the programmed times, is a little easier to use because after grinding in the Preciso for drip, you need to scoop it out to dose it up right; with the Vario or W, you just set to the dose you need for your method of brewing and push the button.

I find that the time-based sensor is adequate for my doses, but I only weigh shots a few times until I get the time right, set the time and then don't weigh again until I change beans. Of course every time you change the setting, the time you need would change too, but I am not opposed to just filling the portafilter, leveling, and tamping. It's okay to me if my dose is off by a few tenths of grams.  I like grinding into the portafilter too. These are all considerations when deciding between the two choices.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 12:19pm

Mike, excellent po0st.
I'd like to add to your point about grinding into the bin as regards the Vario-W.
JN, using the Vario and Preciso (without the Esatto attachment), you can grind directly into the PF for espresso. Not so with the Vario W. As the bin rests on a scale mechanism, it measures the grind weight and stops when the set amount is reached.
You then pour out the grin into your basket. Most find a "funnel" like those made by OE (Orphan Espresso) makes this a piece of cake.
Or, you can do what we all do when using a manual grinder...cut down a yogurt cup.
The OE funnels are MUCH more elegant.

Mike reminder to ALWAYS run the grinder when adjusting finer applies to all grinders. (when beans are in the hopper)

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
GDK

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: MiniVivaldi II, preinfusion,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario W
Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 5:22am

If the price difference between the timed and the W is not very significant for you - go with the W. If you want to play with weight as a primary parameter (as most do), the W measures it directly - no need to convert or adjust timing as you change beans. Since I switch beans 1 to 2 times a week, I keep small amounts in the hopper.  If the hopper goes empty before the weight is reached, motor keeps running and you can add beans for the cycle to complete - no issue at all. With the timed Vario, this scenario would either involve waste or a separate scale to achieve what you want. Not that major but just a bit more convenient.
jnboone

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 5:26am

Thank you all so much for the advice!!  I've read and watched a lot of video's on You Tube, and GDK's response seems to bring everything full circle.  I greatly appreciate the help!!
RodUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea II ... Espro...
Grinder: Vario-W ... Espro Tamper
Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012, 7:21am

IMAWriter Said:

I own both a Vario-W and precise (with Esatto attachment).

Posted June 14, 2012 link

I had a Preciso too and while waiting for the Esatto to appear in the UK got an offer for it that allowed me to upgrade to the Vario-W and I'm really glad I did. In the light of a couple of month's experience with it I can endorse what you've said and have now completed a review that awaits the appearance of a Vario-W slot in the  consumer reviews section. From the word go I could tell the Vario-W was going to be a huge success for me and requested the Vario-W to be added in anticipation of writing a review. The only info I've seen is that it takes 5-6 weeks for new products to be inserted (now pretty much passed) and may not be inserted at all, but having have no responses of any kind I'm wondering if the request got lost. Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask, but I can't find anywhere more appropriate.
BW - Rod
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario or Vario...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.261600017548)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+