Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Grinder advice - will my Bodum Bistro do it with a Rancilio Silvia?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder advice -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Yggdrasill

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 11:08am
Subject: Grinder advice - will my Bodum Bistro do it with a Rancilio Silvia?

We have a Saeco Magic Cappuccino machine that is about 5 years old and the pump is losing pressure.  I'm considering upgrading to a Rancilio Silvia because it seems like the top choice in that category.  It will be a bit of a rocky road getting to know it, but I hope that will go smoothly.  My wife doesn't like change!  ;)

We're using a Bodum Bistro grinder that is MUCH better than the Saeco it replaced (the latter just fell apart).  However, I've read that the Silvia is particular about its grind and I have no idea if the Bodum will do it.  If not, what would folks recommend as the cheapest acceptable alternative?  We're stretching our budget as it is, even just getting a refurbed Silvia.
 View Profile Link to this post
jakeapeters

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia v3
Grinder: Mahlkonig Vario
Vac Pot: Aerobie Aeropress
Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 2:02pm
Subject: Re: Grinder advice - will my Bodum Bistro do it with a Rancilio Silvia?

I haven't actually received my Silvia yet, but I've been googling stuff along those lines for quite a few weeks now!

Seattle Coffee Gear tested the Bodum Bistro here - they thought it was unsuitable for the Rancilio as it doesn't grind fine enough!

I'd look at grinders like the Baratza Virtuoso as a minimum if you're on a budget... (I'm sure someone will be able to correct me here though)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Yggdrasill

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 2:18pm
Subject: Re: Grinder advice - will my Bodum Bistro do it with a Rancilio Silvia?

Thanks for the reply.  I'm curious if it will work with the mod described here:

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/521694
jakeapeters

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia v3
Grinder: Mahlkonig Vario
Vac Pot: Aerobie Aeropress
Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 2:23pm

That mod certainly looks promising. You may have problems with uniformity of grind, and speed, though (I'm not familiar with the Bodum grinders so I can't really comment on that), due to the quality and size of the burrs (I only mention this as most burr sets alone in prosumer models cost more than the Bodum does as a whole unit).

But hey, if it's a mod you're happy to carry out, it's gotta be worth a try. If it works, and you're happy with the results, don't upgrade. If it doesn't, look at other grinders! :)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dyno

Espresso: Salvatore The Club/Oscar
Grinder: K6 Pro/Super Mini E
Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 5:02pm

Yggdrasill Said:

Thanks for the reply.  I'm curious if it will work with the mod described here:

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/521694

Posted June 11, 2012 link

I tried it.  My burrs can touch - a hair backed off from that, the grind is still not fine enough.

Fine if you use a pressurized portafilter but if you want real espresso, get a good grinder.  My main grinder is a Preciso and works very well.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012, 2:00pm

Yggdrasill Said:

If not, what would folks recommend as the cheapest acceptable alternative?  We're stretching our budget as it is, even just getting a refurbed Silvia.

Posted June 11, 2012 link

It would help to know what your budget is if you want recommendations.  If you can you should probably allocate more for the grinder upgrade.
Yggdrasill

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012, 2:22pm

Takeshi, good question.  I don't really have a budget per se.  Think "budget."  ;)  Can we get away with $200 for a grinder?  $300?  That's why I said "cheapest acceptable alternative."  What will meet the Silvia's needs?

If it's $500 then maybe we should rethink the Silvia.
wsikes
wsikes

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Promac MD-64 AT
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012, 2:28pm

If your budget is tight, might I recommend looking at good "used" espresso grinders?

Bill
gus2134

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012, 11:27am

Yggdrasill Said:

Takeshi, good question.  I don't really have a budget per se.  Think "budget."  ;)  Can we get away with $200 for a grinder?  $300?  That's why I said "cheapest acceptable alternative."  What will meet the Silvia's needs?

If it's $500 then maybe we should rethink the Silvia.

Posted June 12, 2012 link

I have a Baratza Virtuouso that does an adequate job for my Silvano.  I've read the Silvia is very finicky, so I can't say whether it would work. Dialing in a grind like people with more capable (and expensive) grinders is tougher with the big steps it has.

Baratza is selling a refurb for $150. Or you can find it new for $225 (I think with the Preciso's burrs). It might be worth the extra $75 to get the Preciso though (which didn't exist when my wife bought me my Virtuoso).
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder advice -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.277853012085)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+