Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 170 of 199 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Jun 3, 2012, 10:44am
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

Gig103 Said:

That's what I'm saying though - I can't choke my machine with the machine at its finest, given the calibration in my link and after a thorough cleaning.

Posted June 3, 2012 link

OK, but have you felt the grind as I described above, and is it appreciably coarser?

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Mon Jun 4, 2012, 8:51am

IMAWriter Said:

OK, but have you felt the grind as I described above, and is it appreciably coarser?

Posted June 3, 2012 link

I did a feel test, and it feels at least as fine as sugar or finer. When I rub the grinds on my fingers it smears a little (sugar doesn't).
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Mon Jun 4, 2012, 10:28am

Gig103 Said:

I did a feel test, and it feels at least as fine as sugar or finer. When I rub the grinds on my fingers it smears a little (sugar doesn't).

Posted June 4, 2012 link

Excellent!!! Sounds exactly where it should be. Good job with your calibration, I believe.
I would then theorize that your machine's pressure is set incorrectly.
Usually, only lever machines like a grind that fine.
Perhaps your pressure is set to high?

Again,

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 8:31am

IMAWriter Said:

Excellent!!! Sounds exactly where it should be. Good job with your calibration, I believe.
I would then theorize that your machine's pressure is set incorrectly.
Usually, only lever machines like a grind that fine.
Perhaps your pressure is set to high?

Again,

Posted June 4, 2012 link

That's what I've been leaning towards... So I have a thread in the machine section (I was trying not to crosspost, keeping one thread about the machine and this about the grinder). That thread (click)
EspressoObsessed

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: CMH; VL M3
Drip: TV, KMB, Eva Solo, AP
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 10:41am

Today my Vario arrived. Here's something new: the bottom buttons are numbered 1, 2 & 3 instead of espresso, etc.

Anyway, I am hoping for some advice. I split my time between two locations so acquired the Vario and a Breville Dual Boiler for the new situation. My coffee tastes bitter and not at all like it does at the other location using the GS/3 and Versalab (I know, sob story, right?).

Here's what I'm doing, and I am only posting after going through 2 lbs of 4 day old Redbird Espresso Roast:

I had to make the finer adjustment almost a half turn midway during my attempts as I was maxed out on the fine end. After doing this, my Vario is at D on the left side and 1 on the right for 14 seconds to obtain 18.5 g +/-. I am using the 18g VST basket and a Cafelat 58.35 tamper.

I have been using the manual button on the Breville on the default 7 sec pre-infusion and 60% pressure.

After more than a pound of experiments getting nothing but lungos, I finally got a normale (after the fine adjustment) with 49% extraction and 2 oz of brew in 28 seconds at 196 degrees (higher temps tasted wrong). The stream starts at 12-13 seconds.

The lungos tasted sweeter than the normales but I had to cut them off before 25 seconds as they overflowed my 2.5 oz shot glass.

I have been drinking this roast over a year and it has never tasted like this. I know it will get better after a few more days of rest but I drink it regularly when it arrives 3 days post roast at my other location.

It tastes overextracted but my scale is telling me differently. What recommendations can anyone suggest?

Thanks
dagoat

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: HG-One, baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 3:19pm

something's not right.  i have a BDB and a vario, and i can (worst case scenario), take prepackaged, preground starbucks from a hotel room, re-grind it to espresso fineness, and choke my machine--or get any duration i want.  even ristrettos:  18.0g of grinds/18-19g of beverage, in 25-30s, (not counting the 7s of pre infusion).  

that said, the VST baskets have a TON of open area, and just play "differently" than others.  i know VST tries to market itself on it's engineering and technical merit, but you should try using the breville baskets as they are every bit as good as the VST, (and maybe even better), from a technical/engineering/manufacturing standpoint.  IOW, the holes in the breville basket are as least as perfectly round and perfectly spaced as the VST's, when viewed under a microscope--maybe better.  in fact, the oft-shunned breville baskets are so good, they may well be the best part of the whole system.  for someone with an obvious taste for the finest in equipment, you should not shy away a bit from the breville baskets.  get a jeweler's loupe, and compare the two for yourself.

try the single-wall, double basket and report back to us.  also, it really likes at least 18.0g or else sometimes the puck will stick to the shower screen when you remove the portafilter.  this is due to the tapered wall design of the breville basket.  the upside however, is that you can knock out the old puck super clean, with the slightest tap, compared to straight-wall baskets like the VST.  oh, and if you use a lighter roast, you will want to try 19.0g, as lighter roasts are denser, and will have less volume, per ground mass.

-peter
curtrowe
curtrowe

Espresso: Quick Mill Andreja Premium
Grinder: Baratza W, MACAP M4
Vac Pot: Bodum French press
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Jabez Burns & Sons 3 head...
Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 12:22pm

I knew coming back to coffeegeek.com could be expensive. I got a recommendation from IMAWriter for a Baratza Vario for doing both espresso and drip. When I checked some reviews, I saw the model with the built in scale. Now I have to have one. I have a couple of questions.

I currently keep my coffee beans in the refrigerator and only weight out what I need for each espresso before dumping it in my Macap. With the Vario W, do you leave your beans in the grinder? If so, do you have issues with it going stale? I go through a roast in about 12 days. I guess I could just put a portion in every few days.

I only rarely drink drip coffee. When I do, I would like to be able to switch beans. Is it just a matter of pouring the beans back out of the hopper and doing a quick grind to clean out anything left in the burrs.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 12:44pm

curtrowe Said:

I currently keep my coffee beans in the refrigerator and only weight out what I need for each espresso before dumping it in my Macap. With the Vario W, do you leave your beans in the grinder? If so, do you have issues with it going stale? I go through a roast in about 12 days. I guess I could just put a portion in every few days.

I only rarely drink drip coffee. When I do, I would like to be able to switch beans. Is it just a matter of pouring the beans back out of the hopper and doing a quick grind to clean out anything left in the burrs.

Posted July 19, 2012 link

Mea culpa!! :>D
First off, GET YOUR BEANS OUTTA THE FRIDGE!!!!. Store them either in an hair tight Mason/Ball jar, or a one way valve bag in a cupboard. (or Freeze them in an air tight Mason Jar. Make sure to allow them to thaw in the closed jar for a while.
Next, I leave enough beans for 3-4 shots in my Vario. The lid is air tight enough to be good for a day, maybe 2.
The Vario does a good job grinding by the dose, but if you know you're going to do-3-4 shots, put 3-4 shots in there.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
curtrowe
curtrowe

Espresso: Quick Mill Andreja Premium
Grinder: Baratza W, MACAP M4
Vac Pot: Bodum French press
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Jabez Burns & Sons 3 head...
Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 3:07pm

IMAWriter Said:

First off, GET YOUR BEANS OUTTA THE FRIDGE!!!!. Store them either in an hair tight Mason/Ball jar, or a one way valve bag in a cupboard. (or Freeze them in an air tight Mason Jar. Make sure to allow them to thaw in the closed jar for a while.

Not in the fridge! The last time I checked on how to store coffee, the fridge was the way to go, but that was 20-30 years ago. A brief Internet search confirmed that I'm behind the times. As least I keep them in an air tight jar.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 3:13pm

curtrowe Said:

A brief Internet search confirmed that I'm behind the times.

Ha. My teenage girls tell me that thrice daily.

As I mentioned, the lid is tight enough, but you can put a tiny pinpoint dab of super glue on an edge, to make it tighter.
As we all go back and forth grind wise, I never have more than maybe 60 grams of coffee at one time in mine.
I also have a Preciso, so that's cheating. ;>D

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
showing page 170 of 199 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.392985105515)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+