Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 168 of 199 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 2:18pm
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

Time to email or call Baratza again.  You have collected enough info.
 View Profile Link to this post
lemans23

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 2, 2012, 9:42am

D4F Said:

Time to email or call Baratza again.  You have collected enough info.

Posted April 24, 2012 link

Already on it! The replacement refurb is still on my counter, not having been used since I last posted here. My original one from 2009 is either on its way, or is in their hands at the moment. I shipped it out last Friday for them to look at. Incredibly curious to see what's going on. While I wait, got some nice Yirgacheffe and Elida Natural to sip on, so I guess I can sit pretty enough. :)
chefryan
chefryan

Espresso: Bezzera Magica
Grinder: Compak K-3 Touch
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 6:00am

This comment may be a little off topic but it relates to the vario. I have been looking at lots of reviews and the big negative thing i have been seeing is complaints about how you need to have the grinder running for the macro adjustments. But then i thought ... that is actually a good idea .. keeps the beans from getting jammed in between the burrs when you decrease the grind size if the machine is not running .. which could put strain on the cam.  I  get the feeling people dont think about that when they write reviews. since the new vario-w has it in the user  guide as a suggestion ( i was debating the cost vs the value) to do the macro while the grinder is running for that reason (they dont go into detail but that suggestion made me think about it for a second and i figured out why). Am I nuts or do i just over think things that people should think about before immediately deciding that this is a negative as a posed to a smart idea for using most  grinders when decreasing the grind size by any significant amount.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 7:01am

chefryan Said:

This comment may be a little off topic but it relates to the vario. I have been looking at lots of reviews and the big negative thing i have been seeing is complaints about how you need to have the grinder running for the macro adjustments. But then i thought ... that is actually a good idea .. keeps the beans from getting jammed in between the burrs when you decrease the grind size if the machine is not running .. which could put strain on the cam.  I  get the feeling people dont think about that when they write reviews. since the new vario-w has it in the user  guide as a suggestion ( i was debating the cost vs the value) to do the macro while the grinder is running for that reason (they dont go into detail but that suggestion made me think about it for a second and i figured out why). Am I nuts or do i just over think things that people should think about before immediately deciding that this is a negative as a posed to a smart idea for using most  grinders when decreasing the grind size by any significant amount.

Posted May 8, 2012 link

Ryan, this is a good point.
Basically, even those with Mazzer SJ's and such (a way more powerful motor) were always advised to run the grinder when tightening the grind.
Usually, it's not an issue when going coarser.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Delver

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 7:05am

Most people would see the need to run the grinder whilst changing the grind adjustment as a necessity rather than just a matter of opinion. I know I do anyway! I wouldn't dream of messing with the macro lever without having it running first. Also I thought this was standard practice for any grinder (I may be wrong)
Either way, I don't see it as a negative, and I'd rather have it running than take the chance of something sticking with my lovely vario! :D
chefryan
chefryan

Espresso: Bezzera Magica
Grinder: Compak K-3 Touch
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 6:46pm

Im glad to see I still have a few of my marbles left.  I had seen a few reviews of the vario stating it was a bizarre thing to do.  I dont have the vario yet but do intend on heading down the shop i bought my magica from to buy the grinder and maybe a few toys to add to it.
Gig103

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Drip: French press!
Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 10:22am

I have my new Vario and I love the speed and timer and consistency. I haven't dialed it in yet because "everyone" here seems to be on the 2nd coarse notch, and I'm there but even on "C", so far I'm getting 12 second shots.  I'll be dropping to the lowest coarse notch for my next test, at about W.

I'm sure I'll find the right spot soon, but I was wondering if I should adjust my grinder with the included tool? I would think that if I made it finer, then that means I wouldn't go so low. Does it really matter where I have to put it for the right grind as long as it isn't on something like "1B" which wouldn't give me room to play?
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 10:26am

Gig103 Said:

I'm sure I'll find the right spot soon, but I was wondering if I should adjust my grinder with the included tool? I would think that if I made it finer, then that means I wouldn't go so low. Does it really matter where I have to put it for the right grind as long as it isn't on something like "1B" which wouldn't give me room to play?

Posted May 24, 2012 link

Yes!! Do the calibration with the "oil can" tool...looks like one to me!
It's ezey peezy.

Depends on your coffee as well. Is your coffee old?
I sometimes advise folks NOT to use crap, old coffee when dialing in, as you've just spent $400+ on the grinder, and their worrying about another $12 of coffee...??
Shouldn't take but 1 calibration adjustment and maybe 3-4 sink shots to dial in....with 5+day old freshly roasted quality coffee.
Don't forget...crap in, merde out!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
Gig103

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Drip: French press!
Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 10:46am

IMAWriter Said:

Yes!! Do the calibration with the "oil can" tool...looks like one to me!
It's ezey peezy.

Depends on your coffee as well. Is your coffee old?
I sometimes advise folks NOT to use crap, old coffee when dialing in, as you've just spent $400+ on the grinder, and their worrying about another $12 of coffee...??
Shouldn't take but 1 calibration adjustment and maybe 3-4 sink shots to dial in....with 5+day old freshly roasted quality coffee.
Don't forget...crap in, merde out!

Posted May 24, 2012 link

It's coffee roasted 10 days ago -- stupid Fedex Ground and a weekend messed me up! I will only order from places 2-3 day from me from now on, but it was a Woot deal.

I figured I'd use it out of the box and see, but I will dump out the beans and give it a quick adjustment.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 1:00pm

Gig103 Said:

It's coffee roasted 10 days ago -- stupid Fedex Ground and a weekend messed me up! I will only order from places 2-3 day from me from now on, but it was a Woot deal.

I figured I'd use it out of the box and see, but I will dump out the beans and give it a quick adjustment.

Posted May 24, 2012 link

NO!...don't dump. For many espresso blends, 10 days post roast is the OPTIMUM time for drinking!
Should be just fine for 13-14 days post roast date.

Most espresso blends and SO's (Single Origin) coffee needs at least 5 days "rest" before it's ready for prime time.
You might notice as the coffee ages, you'll maybe tighten the grind a tiny increment every few days as it ages.
Don't change your tamp or distribution, our even the dose.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
showing page 168 of 199 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.366374969482)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+