Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Virtuoso Preciso Adjustment
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Reesq

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat May 26, 2012, 9:09pm
Subject: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso Adjustment

After a few false starts, and a lot of reading, I just purchased my first espresso machine and grinder, a Le’Lit PID and a Baratza Virtuoso Precisio.  I also purchased a bottomless portafilter to help me zero in on the grind, tamping etc.  For the first effort, I set the grinder at 10, since that seemed to be the general consensus for a good starting point.  When I started the shot, it looked like a sprinkler head going off.  Assuming that the grind was too coarse I kept dialing back and retrying.  I am now down to 1 and while the pour has improved, it still seems like the grind is not fine enough.  Do you need to calibrate grinders?  Or did I just get a defective one?  I am not sure of my next step.
 View Profile Link to this post
GlenO

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Cellini PP
Grinder: Forte AP, Macap M4 Stepless;...
Roaster: HotTopB-2k, UFO/TO
Posted Sat May 26, 2012, 10:10pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso Adjustment

First of all, are you using fresh beans?  If not, that may help explain the problem you're having.  But yes, you can calibrate the Preciso, and there are instructions on how to do it on the Baratza website (look for the troubleshooting guide under the Support heading).  

However, I just purchased a refurbished Preciso and had a similar problem (I was having to go down to at least macro 3 to get something close to an acceptable espresso grind using fresh beans).  And following the calibration instructions on the website, I found the grinder was already calibrated at the finest possible setting.  After contacting Baratza customer service, I was told that there had been an issue with factory personnel adjusting the shimming of the Preciso, without Baratza's knowledge, that crippled the grinding ability of the Preciso at the fine grinding level.  That problem has been corrected, but it's possible you also  received one of the of the impacted units.  I have a replacement unit on its way.  I  definitely recommend that you contact Baratza.  Their customer service really is top notch and will take care of any problem you are having.
Reesq

Posted Sun May 27, 2012, 8:37am

Thanks.  The beans were very fresh.  I will call Baratza on Tuesday and see what they have to say.
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sun May 27, 2012, 2:54pm

Reesq Said:

Thanks.  The beans were very fresh.  I will call Baratza on Tuesday and see what they have to say.

Posted May 27, 2012 link

You may want to start with the recalibration as that might solve your problem (or at least get you making espresso today).
It takes about 10-15 minutes.

I recalibrated mine and I'm pretty much "dialed in" between 4F and 5B.
Reesq

Posted Sun May 27, 2012, 10:00pm

Well, I took everyone’s advice and adjusted the grinder.  The screw was in the far left window (the coarsest) and I moved it to the middle window.  We had just got back from Santa Barbara and brought back some Santa Barbara Coffee Company Espresso Milano blend.  After a few more tries, and unbelievably at a setting of 1A, I pulled my first really good shot.  It was easily as good as the shot I had earlier in the day at the coffee shop.  A 27 second pour, lots of crema, and no spritzing.   Now I can have a few more shots tomorrow and then I guess I will call Baratza on Tuesday to see if I should move the adjustment screw over to the right window or send the grinder back for adjustment.  All in all, and despite the weird grinder setting, a very satisfying evening.  Thanks for the suggestions.
BarryR

Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 6:06am

Based on my experience, you definitely need to adjust it to finest.
That's where I have mine and my shots are usually right in the upper 4 to lower 5 range.

You need to have a setting low enough that it chokes the espresso machine, then you know that you can go as fine (or finer) than you need.

Please do let us know what Baratza says.
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Tue May 29, 2012, 12:01pm

I had issues like this so I called Baratza and they recommended the calibration as well. I'm not saying not to call, because it's good to have things on the record, but I would recommend adjusting it to the finest window. That way you can get nice shots without having to be on 1A. What's the point of 440 settings if you only have one that works?

The guy at Baratza told me they had to start calibrating coarser out of the box because home users would open it up, crank it down to the lowest setting, and end up breaking the plastic adjustment ring. I think it's silly to undo the ability to make espresso, but that's why yours isn't fine enough.
Reesq

Posted Thu May 31, 2012, 11:16am

I spoke with customer service at Baratza yesterday and they suggested moving the adjustment screw over to the last window, which I did last night.  Strangely, there was very little change.  At a 1A setting, the grind was close, but still not fine enough.  Obviously, something is just not quite right.  I called again today and was told that I should be getting a good espresso grind in the 5 range.  The bottom line is that they are sending me out a new machine today.  I have to say that both of my calls were answered by the most pleasant and helpful customer service reps with whom I have ever dealt.  Bravo Baratza.
BarryR

Posted Thu May 31, 2012, 5:06pm

Reesq Said:

I spoke with customer service at Baratza yesterday and they suggested moving the adjustment screw over to the last window, which I did last night.  Strangely, there was very little change.  At a 1A setting, the grind was close, but still not fine enough.  Obviously, something is just not quite right.  I called again today and was told that I should be getting a good espresso grind in the 5 range.  The bottom line is that they are sending me out a new machine today.  I have to say that both of my calls were answered by the most pleasant and helpful customer service reps with whom I have ever dealt.  Bravo Baratza.

Posted May 31, 2012 link

Sorry to hear that it wasn't fixable.
Baratza does have very good customer service.

I'm needing to use a "4" setting for most of my espresso grinds. Occasionally "5". Hopefully mine will continue to function well at this setting and your problem should be solved soon.
Reesq

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 10:58am

As an update on my grinder issues, the replacement machine arrived in last week (again, great customer service), but I was too busy to play with it until the weekend.  The replacement works great.  I am getting very good grinds between 4 and 5.  I noticed that the darker roasted beans required a slightly coarser grind.  At one point I has the grind dialed in at a 4E and was getting a nice 2 oz pour in 27 seconds.  I dialed the micro adjustment back to A to see how great the effect would be, and I got a really good 1.5 oz ristretto in the same time.  I have a lot more practice to do, but, so far, I really like the LeLit/Preciso combo.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.263648033142)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+