Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Virtuoso Preciso Adjustment
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 3:10pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso Adjustment

Reesq Said:

As an update on my grinder issues, the replacement machine arrived in last week (again, great customer service), but I was too busy to play with it until the weekend.  The replacement works great.  I am getting very good grinds between 4 and 5.  I noticed that the darker roasted beans required a slightly coarser grind.  At one point I has the grind dialed in at a 4E and was getting a nice 2 oz pour in 27 seconds.  I dialed the micro adjustment back to A to see how great the effect would be, and I got a really good 1.5 oz ristretto in the same time.  I have a lot more practice to do, but, so far, I really like the LeLit/Preciso combo.

Posted June 11, 2012 link

I'm glad it worked for you! I was never able to get a Preciso that worked for me so I upgraded to a Vario. Which is very nice except the Preciso did better for french press, as the reviews all say.
 View Profile Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 3:37pm

Reesq Said:

As an update on my grinder issues, the replacement machine arrived in last week (again, great customer service), but I was too busy to play with it until the weekend.  The replacement works great.  I am getting very good grinds between 4 and 5.  I noticed that the darker roasted beans required a slightly coarser grind.  At one point I has the grind dialed in at a 4E and was getting a nice 2 oz pour in 27 seconds.  I dialed the micro adjustment back to A to see how great the effect would be, and I got a really good 1.5 oz ristretto in the same time.  I have a lot more practice to do, but, so far, I really like the LeLit/Preciso combo.

Posted June 11, 2012 link

I am a fan of this grinder too - it is priced right for it's place in the market and the results are nice.  Probably the easiest grinder I have to dial in for espresso, go to pour over, and then go back to espresso. Glad to read you like yours too.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Reesq

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 4:02pm

Being new at this, I donít really have a broad range of experience, but I am very pleased with this grinder.  The funny thing is, no matter how much you read in advance, you donít really know what you are getting into until you actually dive in and try.  Basically, this set up was a test run for my son for college.  If all works out, and seems like we are on the right track, by the end of the summer I will have, hopefully, made most of my mistakes and will be even more prepared for the next set up.  That being said, in retrospect (having all of two weeks of experience) I think I would have gone for the Vario Ė W so that I could get more constancy in my dose weight with less fuss.  I am thinking of getting the Esatto attachment for now.  Anyone have any experience with it?
redkiosk
redkiosk
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 9:45am

I have both, purchasing the Esatto shortly after the Preciso. IMHO, the perfect combo for grinding different brewing methods. Weight based grinding is so easy and with the three memory settings, even easier. Got the thumbs up from my wife too. It's very well designed and when your grinder is installed on it, it looks like a one-piece unit. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
redkiosk
redkiosk
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 6:25pm

Funny what you do for your kids and where it end up. My whole entry into this rabbit hole of great coffee was trying to figure out a method for my daughter to have great coffee while backpacking in Alaska for a month. One thing led to another and she's still in Alaska, but since she left, I have a new Baratza Preciso, Baratza Esatto and I'm on the fence for a Trifecta MB or Behmor BraZen. The first cup that I brewed with her camping set-up woke me to what coffee should taste like. Lots of local roasters here in Chicago, so I'm getting beans like I never knew existed. She's coming home this coming Thursday and we'll see how much of the 2.5 lbs of coffee she took, she went through. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.244341135025)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+