Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Espresso only grinder
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Espresso only...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 12:45pm
Subject: Re: Espresso only grinder

Commercial grinders have better build quality, they were meant to be used non stop day and and day out, size of machine and the cost of grinds wasted are meaningless to them.  

My Vario W probably will not last as long as an SJ but I am not buying a grinder to leave to my grandchildren, I am buying a grinder for light use in a home. I felt if I got a used SJ machine that I would have to replace the burrs and mod it right away to make work the way I need to use it.  (350 for grinder, 64 for burrs, timer, tools and misc cash for mods that puts it within spitting distance of the 500 mark)  Add that to it, doesn't really fit in my kitchen, then I have not really saved much if any money by getting it over the Baratza.   Not only is my grinder not getting used anywhere near as much as a commercial unit, it doesn't waste my expensive coffee with mess or grind retention, it weighs the grinds for me which I love and most importantly it fits.  Baratza service is good and maybe in 5 or 10 years I will have a larger house and budget but by then I expect more grinders will have the features that Baratza has right now so there will be more to pick from.

Bottom line for me:
Most used commercial grinders I see are at 350 and up I would rather have a new Baratza that came out of the box doing what I wanted and with no size issues.  Right now, I am not sure I could taste the difference in the cup of a larger commercial grinder and I have no where to put it.  So, features for buck I think Baratza is a winner in this household.

But your bottom like might be vastly different than mine.  And if I had found a $200 SJ when I was looking I would have jumped on it and had to make a coffee shrine somewhere other than the kitchen.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ptorregrossa00
ptorregrossa00
Expertise: Pro Barista

Vac Pot: Breville Barista Express...
Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 1:36pm

#1 I always go with a Burr grinder over a blade grinder because of the fact that the blades can burn the beans and waste so much of coffee. I just burnt up my last grinder so I went ahead and bought a combo espresso machine and grinder in one made by Breville. It was $600 dollars well spent. Now I have one less thin on the counter. But of course you dont have to spend that much on a decent burr grinder. I've seen them for around $40-$50 bucks.

www.buyespressotampers.com
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 2:05pm

I am sorry to say that I believe even a beginner like me would taste the difference in the cup of a 50 burr and a 500 burr.   I am not sure I could tell a 1k grinder from a 3k grinder in a blind folded taste test, but I believe I can tell my grinder from a $50 burr.  I could taste the big difference in the cup from a 200 grinder to the 500 grinder and it surprised the heck out of me.  My understanding is, the higher you go past mine the more slight the upgrade in taste becomes.  So less taste bang for the buck i.e. diminishing returns.

I don't believe anyone here recommends a blade unless we are talking about grinding spices.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 2:25pm

^ ditto.

Also, blade grinders don't produce consistent particle size.  If you were to look at the ground coffee under a strong magnifying glass or a weak microscope, you'd see the particle sizes all over the place in a wide range.  This leads to areas of underextraction and areas of overextraction in the cup...and, no...those don't balance out.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
jwsnyder919

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Andreja Premium
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 3:30pm

emradguy Said:

^ ditto.

Also, blade grinders don't produce consistent particle size.  If you were to look at the ground coffee under a strong magnifying glass or a weak microscope, you'd see the particle sizes all over the place in a wide range.  This leads to areas of underextraction and areas of overextraction in the cup...and, no...those don't balance out.

Posted May 25, 2012 link

EDIT: thread creep coming...but after seeing discussion of burr over whirly blade and getting off the phone with my brother trying to get him to buy a burr, it felt apropos.  

Not to flog the dying horse, but if there's one thing I've told even my non-coffee-snob friends to do, it's get away from the whirly blade.  The ones who have gone a burr grinder (Baratza Maestro plus or more recently the Encore) have said they can't believe what a difference it makes for their morning drip, french press, or pour over.  Consistency is the chief reason for this.  I've become evangelical about getting those whose palates I care about to get a burr grinder.  My brother avoids the topic all together now when I bring up coffee, but he shall be getting a encore for his birthday whether he likes it or not.  I'll sleep better knowing the palates of Brooklyn, NY are safe.

They call me. Grinderman (like the awesome nick cave band, but much more overweight...). Attempting to save palates one day at a time.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 8:34pm

ptorregrossa00 Said:

#1 I always go with a Burr grinder over a blade grinder because of the fact that the blades can burn the beans and waste so much of coffee. I just burnt up my last grinder so I went ahead and bought a combo espresso machine and grinder in one made by Breville. It was $600 dollars well spent. Now I have one less thin on the counter. But of course you dont have to spend that much on a decent burr grinder. I've seen them for around $40-$50 bucks.

Posted May 25, 2012 link

First off: Yes, blade grinders are awful--not because the blades are burning the beans--because they're chopping, not grinding.

Second: there aren't many people here that think saving counter space by having the grinder built into the machine is a good thing, especially when you can get a much better grind than you will get from the Barista Express.

Third: Just because it's a burr grinder doesn't mean it's a good grinder. You cannot get a decent burr grinder for espresso for $40-$50, unless you buy some beat to crap grinder from someone who has no idea what they're worth.

Fourth: Are you a Breville rep or something? I've seen you post about your Barista express like two or three times on different topics, saying just about the same exact thing.

If you're just a newbie excited about your new set-up, then I don't mean to be too hard on you, just do a little research before you offer advice about things.

-Dave-
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Espresso only...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.254103899002)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+