Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Grinder Recommendations for Rancilio Silvia
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
clumeng

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II, 67 Cremina
Grinder: Vario, Maestro, Pharos
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 4:43pm
Subject: Re: Grinder Recommendations for Rancilio Silvia

I've been down this road.

Started with rocky Silvia combo which was great to learn on. Got limited by the rocky as only had 1-2 notches of control.

Then got used mazzer SJ that was much better in the cup but big.  Rocky went to my work .  With new burrs the SJ was great.  

Vario came out and I was tempted. Went for it and wow. To my palate was great and brighter than my mazzer.  Also less counter space. Was able to sell the SJ and recoup a lot of the price.

Now have added a PHaros and its opening yet more flavors. Really fun grinder.

So to the OP. if you are space challenged and can save a bit more get the Vario. You will be happy. For most people the Vario will get you into great espresso and is equal to grinders double its price.

If you have the time to use a manual grinder every day the Pharos is definitely worth a look.  For me best as second grinder.
 View Profile Link to this post
mcaruana

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali Jr.
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 5:51pm

Thanks to everyone who has posted a reply to my inquiry and offered their insights and recommendations.  It has been instructive and very helpful.

At this point, I have dropped the Rancilio Rocky from my possible purchase list.  The idea that sooner or later I will grow frustrated with the limitations of the Rocky and want to upgrade makes sense.  It also makes sense to me to purchase the very best grinder I can afford within my financial constraints.

I have begun looking for a used Mazzer Mini.  I think the challenge will be finding one at the same price point as a new Rocky (A new Rocky doserless can currently be purchased for $339 with shipping.) I would like to limit my investment to about $350.

In doing some research, I discovered the Cunill Tranquilo.  It appears to be a solid grinder with large flat burrs and a powerful motor.  Reviews are generally positive, but not as glowing as the Mini's.  At $275. + shipping does it warrant consideration?  Any thoughts will be appreciated.
clumeng

Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 5:57pm

With used grinders - on a tight budget - you might want to include the price of new burrs in your estimate and assume that the ones that come with a used Mazzer will be worn.  They are easy to swap out.
clumeng

Posted Tue May 22, 2012, 4:29am

Used Vario on the BST forum for $350 btw.

"SOLD  FS Baratza Vario $$350 Shipped"
tracerbullet
tracerbullet

Posted Tue May 22, 2012, 8:05am

I did a quick Google search on "Cunill Tranquilo" and one of the first hits I saw was on the HB forum asking if the steps were small enough. So - is it a stepped grinder? If so, why would you ditch one grinder for having steps and then contemplate another that also has steps?

(Unless that post is off and the grinder in question isn't stepped or has been changed or something since then).

A note on the Rocky, which I know you aren't looking at, is that mine was <$300 including shipping around Christmas. I guess things have changed since then, up to $340 or more now which helps make it less appealing.
mcaruana

Espresso: La Cimbali Jr.
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 7:51am
Subject: Re: Grinder Recommendations for Rancilio Silvia --- PURCHASE MADE

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.  When I began this process, I thought I would probably purchase a Rancilio Rocky, or perhaps an Ascoso I-1 Steel.  For about $40 more, I settled instead on a lightly used Mazzer Mini.  The photos the seller has provided show a very clean looking machine.  Payment has been sent and I am looking forward to its arrival.  Once I have the the opportunity to get it dialed in and grow accustomed to it, I will post my observations.  Thanks again to everyone who has posted!
IndianaBrewer

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Drip: Cusinart Grind and Brew
Posted Sat Nov 3, 2012, 9:59pm

My Rocky non-doser has performed well on my PID'd Silvia.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sat Nov 3, 2012, 11:20pm
Subject: Re: Grinder Recommendations for Rancilio Silvia --- PURCHASE MADE

mcaruana Said:

..., I settled instead on a lightly used Mazzer Mini.  The photos the seller has provided show a very clean looking machine ...

Posted May 23, 2012 link

Congratulations! Very good choice.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.255512952805)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+