Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
A Beast in the Kitchen
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > A Beast in the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
wsikes
wsikes
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Promac MD-64 AT
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 1:08pm
Subject: Re: A Beast in the Kitchen

Frank, congratulations on your new Saeco.  My old Aroma is chugging along and I'm drinking Americanos every time I get a chance.  I fixed a vanilla cappo for my wife the other night and she enjoyed it, and she doesn't even like coffee.
I am having one problem and you are right on top of it... too much pressure for a non-pressurized portafilter.  I am looking at installing an opv but for a quick tryout at lower pressure I am going to wire up a simple lamp dimmer this weekend to lower the pump pressure a little bit.  Some folks say this may damage the pump motor but the guy who did the mod said it worked fine for him.  Heck... if the pump burns out then I'll have a good excuse to upgrade!  If you are interested, here is the link to the lamp dimmer mod.

Click Here (www.saecomods.com)

Good luck... and keep me updated.

Bill
 View Profile Link to this post
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 1:34pm

haha i was looking at the same exact information last night.  some good info there.  

im thinking of somehow adding a pressure gauge since we'll just have to go by taste when we adjust the pressure.  

im glad i didnt spend too much(80) on this machine because i have a machine on order that should get to me later this year, i was just itching really bad with the espresso rash from this site.  :P
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 2:30pm

I paid 80 for mine too... plus shipping.  I'm wanting a pressure gauge too... let me know what you do...

Bill
frank828

Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 3:02pm

hmm i've been looking at stuff on a gaggia classic and came across this very simple gauge.  
Click Here (www.youtube.com)

here's the video of it in use.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csyu1qg5BXs

he just connected the gauge and release valve using a high pressure hose to the steam wand.  

from what i understand, he primed the gauge with the valve at the end of the gauge open, closed it when he got a steady flow(no air bubbles).  Then he turned the steam knob completely open and let the brew head go to measure the pressure.  

Hmm i may make a trip to home depot soon.

if this works, might make a nice addition to the light dimmer mod and monitoring the changes.  fun fun.  :)
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 3:09pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

I am jealous you have a commercial grinder.  But my postage stamp sized kitchen will not support it.  One day I will remodel (to double the size of my tiny house, I keep buying those lotto tickets!) and have a wet bar set up and use it for a coffee shrine.

Posted May 10, 2012 link

You do not have to apologize for your grinder. I have the same one, paired with my Olympia Cremina.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 3:58pm

frank828 Said:

hmm i've been looking at stuff on a gaggia classic and came across this very simple gauge.  
Hmm i may make a trip to home depot soon. If this works, might make a nice addition to the light dimmer mod and monitoring the changes.  fun fun.  :)

Posted May 14, 2012 link

That's a pretty nifty setup.  I may have to try that one... it would take the guesswork out of adjusting the pump pressure with the dimmer.

Bill
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 7:23pm

frank828 Said:

I have a machine on order that should get to me later this year, i was just itching really bad with the espresso rash from this site.  :P

Posted May 14, 2012 link

Ok Frank, I'll bite... what kind of machine did you order that will be taking that long to get to you?  I'm very curious.

Bill
frank828

Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 11:31pm

wsikes Said:

Ok Frank, I'll bite... what kind of machine did you order that will be taking that long to get to you?  I'm very curious.

Posted May 14, 2012 link

oh it's not a secret or anything, i ordered that ZPM Nocturn machine from Kickstarter.  They have so many machines they need to build and send out that i probably wont be seeing anything till later this year.   I dont think they even have one final prototype made yet.  

Btw, i went to lowe's tonight and picked up all the stuff from the video and built a pressure gauge.  

Unfortunately it didnt work with my machine because the steam wand is narrow for the 1/4" tubing.  I hooked it all up and got a massive leak at the steam wand connection.  

So at this point, it seems i need to figure out a way to get a proper connection to the steam wand or maybe remove the steam wand all together and get a line hooked up the threaded pipe that's attached to the steam wand.

i'm also somewhat concerned about the small amount of lead that may be in the brass fittings i purchased.  i notice in the plumbing section they have more expensive fittings that state "no lead".   i'm thinking maybe i should have gone with those instead of the cheaper ones from the tools/air compressor section.
frank828

Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 12:01am

another thing about the lamp dimmer mod, i just realized after purchasing a dimmer from lowe's that it's different and likely much more difficult to get working.

they only had the credenza model but the one that the guy used was an "attache" model.   The difference is that the credenza has all the necessary wiring in one cord.   so stripping it out and figuring out the cords will likely be a pain.   the attache model has two cords just like the pictures we saw.  

i just ordered it form amazon.  here it is Click Here (www.amazon.com)
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 5:55am

Frank... I'll have to Google that machine... not familiar with it I don't think.  About the fittings, the lead should not be a problem.  You are not using the water passing through the gauge... it is throwaway.  But, thanks for the heads-up.  Could you maybe get a 3/32" piece of tubing?  It may mean that you have to get a 3/32" nipple also.  On the switch, shouldn't be a problem if you can get it open.  Just find the wires on each side of the resistor (potentiometer) and you are good to go... polarity is not an issue because you are merely splicing into a wire leading to the pump.  Great info... thanks much and I'll be waiting to see how it goes.

Bill
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > A Beast in the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.319226026535)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+