Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Upgrade from Macap M4 doser to Mazzer Super Jolly Electronic
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Upgrade from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Joel_B
Joel_B
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 2:19pm
Subject: Re: Upgrade from Macap M4 doser to Mazzer Super Jolly Electronic

Just to offer a little more, like I said, hopefully someone can offer more info on the life span of burrs.  To a certain point you can feel the burrs to see if they're sharp.  Looking at the grinds with a magnifying glass can provide some info.  After 4 years it wouldn't seem out of line they're getting dull.

Regarding technique, I think distribution is so often overlooked.  Inconsistent distribution, will yield inconsistent shots.
 View Profile Link to this post
go_vtec

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1, Braun
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Crusinart, Braun,
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Technivorm, Krups Moka Brew,...
Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012, 7:46pm

Joel_B Said:

M4 isn't well suited for non espresso IMO.  I wasn't impressed with the non espresso grind I got from it.  Very inconsistent.  Bunn makes a solid grinder, but you might also want to look at the Baratza line.

Posted April 27, 2012 link

Didn't know M4 wasn't that consistent for non-espresso grinding. Thanks for the heads up!
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012, 7:05am

I've got 2 Macap M4s.  My older one is my primary for regular espresso beans and is a timer model.  The newer one is reserved for decaf.  My old one is probably about the same age as yours.  Though I can't recall exactly when I got it, I've definitely had it around 4 years, but not much more.  My shots are very consistent and I haven't yet considered it's anywhere near close to needing new burrs.  I pull anywhere from 2-4 shots on a given day, and some days it maxes out at about 8-10 (to give you an idea what's it been through over it's "life").

What I find interesting, totally unrelated to this thread, is that I get considerable clumping from my decaf grinder whether I'm using Klatch (several different decaf varieties), Red Bird decaf, or some other decaf bean.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
kaotik78

Espresso: Astoria JUN, Rancilio S27,...
Grinder: Macap M4, Capresso Infinity
Drip: Mr.Coffee
Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012, 7:13am

Prehaps a video of what I'm experiencing is in order :)
JamesPN007

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1 Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 1:15pm

Super Jolly (doser or doserless) would likely be a step up in terms of quality due in part to the larger diameter of the burrs.  As a recent doserless convert myself, I would choose the E-model over the doser model, but the price premium is steep.  The premium of the E-model over the doser model puts it awfully close to machines that produce an even superior grind, produce less clumping, etc.  You do get what you pay for, however, and Mazzer build quality is second to none.
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Tue May 22, 2012, 6:00am

If you got the bug for a doserless, consider all the different brands. The new Ceado E37 looks pretty sweet for the home. But used is really the way to go with commercial grinders, just takes some patience.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
auxpomme

Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 3:37pm

any excuse to buy new stuff is fine by me. although, i do love my M4 and fairly consistently pull dopio ristrettos that are pretty much all crema.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Upgrade from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.24304485321)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+