Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
8+ yr old pavoni zip?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > 8+ yr old pavoni...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Carmellotruffles

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012, 3:35pm
Subject: 8+ yr old pavoni zip?

I have a chance to get one of these for 250 but its old. I've read some great things about it but I'm wondering if it's gone through any major design changes along the years. Owner tells me the burrs are brand new. also I'm pretty sure its a pavoni zip automatico but I'm not totally sure. can anyone tell me from the picture? the back has a big crown with a pavoni logo on it.

Carmellotruffles: IMG_8715.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
KennyH

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Lelit PL041
Grinder: OE Pharos, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama 8 Cup
Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012, 5:33pm
Subject: Re: 8+ yr old pavoni zip?

I'm going to make an educated guess and say that there probably isn't much different. I know there isn't externally, but generally when a company makes a successful grinder they don't change it significantly.

For reference, here's a picture of the Zip that 1st-line is currently selling. http://www.1st-line.com/images/lapavoni/la_pavoni_zip.jpg
Carmellotruffles

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012, 5:47pm

Thanks a lot. Before the guy I'm buying it from told me about it I was thinking of getting a new baratza vario. that would be more expensive but do you think it would be a safer bet? now that I've looked up the zip it seems sort of too good to be true. the guy selling it to me does pretty much does all the espresso machine repairs for the whole san francisco bay area as far as I can tell. I have done business with him before so he's pretty trustworthy.
KennyH

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012, 6:01pm

How is the Zip too good to be true? From what I've read it's a pretty decent grinder for the money.

The Vario is really a whole different beast. It's definitely not going to be as durable, but you won't to deal with purging or cleaning the grind chute. It'll have a MUCH smaller footprint than the Zip. Grind quality will probably be around equal. The decision between high-end consumer and commercial really comes down to what you value most. If I was buying an electric grinder, I'd go commercial, but that's because I don't mind some inconvenience, don't care about aesthetics, and have no space limits.
Carmellotruffles

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012, 6:11pm

oh when I said "too good to be true" I meant that the guy is selling it for so cheap I almost don't believe it.
KennyH

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012, 6:23pm

Oh- that's a perfectly reasonable asking price for an 8 year old Zip in decent condition. There's really not much that can go wrong with a commercial grinder aside from motor and burr issues, so if the burrs are sharp and it runs then it's probably fine.
Carmellotruffles

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012, 6:43pm

oh cool. well thanks. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go through with it.
rhodges89

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012, 8:09pm

I have a pavoni zip that is several years old that i paid 150 for and it produces a great grind, just takes up some space
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > 8+ yr old pavoni...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.231086015701)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+