Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Upgrade from Macap M4 doser to Mazzer Super Jolly Electronic
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Upgrade from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
kaotik78

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astoria JUN, Rancilio S27,...
Grinder: Macap M4, Capresso Infinity
Drip: Mr.Coffee
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 7:20am
Subject: Upgrade from Macap M4 doser to Mazzer Super Jolly Electronic

Hi all,

As of late I've noticed that I simply am unable to get consistent shots back to back with regards to dosing time. I'm using fresh beans from a local roaster, machine is heated up to temp each time, yet the dosing is border lining on me getting out a gram scale and measuring before tamping and pulling the shot.

The machine I'm using is a 220v Mr. Espresso Astoria JUN single group. I doubt it's the machine. I had a chance to use a Mazzer super jolly at a espresso shop a few months back and it had the digital timer and no doser. I'm wondering if it's a worthwhile upgrade and if it's even possible to sell my Macap M4. Nothing wrong with the Macap it's been great but I'm just tired of getting shots that go longer than others at times, portafilter too full of grinds and having to start over etc.
 View Profile Link to this post
go_vtec

Espresso: Elektra T1, Braun
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Crusinart, Braun,
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Technivorm, Krups Moka Brew,...
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 8:51am
Subject: Re: Upgrade from Macap M4 doser to Mazzer Super Jolly Electronic

How much dosing time variation are you talking about?  To me, few seconds more or less isn't biggest concern as long as there is no blonding.  Do your pulled shots taste significantly different (sink vs God shot)?  Until I dialed in, I used to single dose and measured the shot weights.  Nowadays, I only eye gaze the fill level, but pay close attention to the shaved fill level (before tamping) and tampered level.  FYI, I have a machine that is somewhat sensitive to over-dozing/overfilling.  With enough practice, most of my filled baskets are within 0.3 to 1 gram of each other.   Also how fresh are your beans?  When my beans are TOO fresh (within 2 days of roasting without proper rest), I often have a problem with proper extraction or pulling consistent shots.  

Frankly, nothing will stop you from selling your M4 and moving up to Super Jolly-E.  However, even with a doser, you can be fairly consistent with the grind weight.  I typically fill my basket loose above the basket level using the doser and do a gentle shaving of top loose fill by moving my finger to comb off the excess.  With enough practice, I don't really need to discard much of grinds while evening out the filled grinds in NSEW directions.  I tamp lightly, tap, then tamp to the proper level at 30-40lbs of pressure.  Assume I do a proper ritualistic water dance with my HX machine, shots produced this way are fairly consistent with taste and shot time (within a second or two from each other).   YMMV, but most of doseless models from Mazzer suffer a bit of crumbing and cost a bit more than dosed models.  If you are doing WDT, than the little crumbing won't be an issue.   IMHO, unless you believe your M4 is not grinding consistently, SJ-E may not improve your shot-TIME considerably.  If I was considering upgrade in your situation, I would rather go with a Major than SJ-E.  Of course, YMMV.  Just my 2KBs worth!
go_vtec

Espresso: Elektra T1, Braun
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Crusinart, Braun,
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Technivorm, Krups Moka Brew,...
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 8:52am

BTW, if you want to dump your M4, ping me first... I am looking for a dedicatd drip/brew grinder :)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 11:43am

A used SJ and a dark room timer gives you a better grinder setup for less money and with a doser you can grind for the next shot whole pulling a shot with nice consistency between the shots.

I used that setup for years with very good results.

Ymmv!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
KennyH

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Lelit PL041
Grinder: OE Pharos, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama 8 Cup
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 1:13pm

go_vtec Said:

BTW, if you want to dump your M4, ping me first... I am looking for a dedicatd drip/brew grinder :)

Posted April 27, 2012 link

Get a Bunn LPG or similar instead. Espresso grinders are engineered to grind well for espresso, and as such they're often not very good at drip.
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 2:21pm

There may be more going on here than grinder's inability.  How old is the grinder?  Burrs may need to be replaced.  Outside of that I'd suspect technique; sorry man :-(  The M4 is a very capable grinder and getting consistent shots shouldn't be an issue.  I've owned two, loved them both and consistency was never a problem.  In fact overall shots were probably more consistent with my M4's than my SJ.

That being said, the SJ is a step up in grind quality over the M4.  It's a noticeable difference; SJ produces a more defined shot while the M4 is a little muddy in comparison.

KennyH Said:

Get a Bunn LPG or similar instead. Espresso grinders are engineered to grind well for espresso, and as such they're often not very good at drip.

M4 isn't well suited for non espresso IMO.  I wasn't impressed with the non espresso grind I got from it.  Very inconsistent.  Bunn makes a solid grinder, but you might also want to look at the Baratza line.
kaotik78

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 2:29pm

Joel_B Said:

There may be more going on here than grinder's inability.  How old is the grinder?  Burrs may need to be replaced.  Outside of that I'd suspect technique; sorry man :-(  The M4 is a very capable grinder and getting consistent shots shouldn't be an issue.  I've owned two, loved them both and consistency was never a problem.  In fact overall shots were probably more consistent with my M4's than my SJ.

That being said, the SJ is a step up in grind quality over the M4.  It's a noticeable difference; SJ produces a more defined shot while the M4 is a little muddy in comparison.

No offense taken :) I often wonder sometimes if it's tamping pressure but I was told by a pro barista (so he claimed) that tamping pressure is irrelevant given the pressure the puck is put under. I have a click tamp, a click mat, tried the bathroom scale.

The Macap I have is three years old, going on four. Original burrs. I thought that with non-commercial use these burrs would probably last forever, or at least for 5 or more years. I'll have to look into getting a new set of burrs before dumping 1k on a new grinder. Maybe I do use it too often and drink way too much espresso!
Joel_B
Joel_B

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 2:46pm

I wouldn't say tamping is irrelavent.  But it's not a huge factor.  It's low enough of a factor I wouldn't even consider it an issue.  Sounds like youre able to tamp with enough consistency.

Ya know, I'm not sure the life span on burrs.  Has the consistency of the shots degraded for you or has it always been an issue?  Might be something to look at, but hopefully someone with more expertise can give you more insight on exactly how much coffee is the life span.
kaotik78

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 3:01pm

Joel_B Said:

I wouldn't say tamping is irrelavent.  But it's not a huge factor.  It's low enough of a factor I wouldn't even consider it an issue.  Sounds like youre able to tamp with enough consistency.

Ya know, I'm not sure the life span on burrs.  Has the consistency of the shots degraded for you or has it always been an issue?  Might be something to look at, but hopefully someone with more expertise can give you more insight on exactly how much coffee is the life span.

I thought it was odd that tamping pressure not be taken into consideration. It seems the consistency has always been an issue, I've just noticed it more now than before. Back to the drawing board with my technique possibly then.
Joel_B
Joel_B

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 3:06pm

Tamping has been over emphasized.  Just tamp linear to the basket and with relative consistent pressure, it's not going to play much of a factor.  Sounds like you've practiced enough to know around what you're tamping; 5lbs either way you'll be good.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Upgrade from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.302102088928)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+