Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Vario or Mazzer Mini E with Super Jolly Burrs?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario or Mazzer...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Tysen

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012, 3:12pm
Subject: Vario or Mazzer Mini E with Super Jolly Burrs?

Hi guys,

I'm new here so "Hi!" :)

I've got the choice between a Mazzer Mini E with Super Jolly burrs or a Bazerra Vario 2...not sure which one to take. Let's leave price out of this discussion for now..let's just say I can get both for the same price.

I'll do strictly espresso, usually single-shots (about 9g) and I like to switch beans quite often, sometimes twice during the day. So wasted coffee might be an issue with the Mazzer and for me is for sure a plus for the vario. I don't like to waste things...especially not expensive beans.

But the vario seems to have some issues too and looks like a toy compared to the Mazzer...there's been some discussion that a Vario does beat the Mazzer in blind taste tests...but usually ties against the Super Jolly. So my guess would be that the Mazzer with super jolly burrs on average might do a better job than the vario? With on average I mean over let's say 100 shots spread over 20 days.

What do you think and what would your choice be?

Thank you!

Daniel
 View Profile Link to this post
greekespresso
greekespresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mahlkönig Vario Home, Anfim...
Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012, 4:08pm
Subject: Re: Vario or Mazzer Mini E with Super Jolly Burrs?

Welcome to CG forum Daniel.

Mazzer Mini E without a second thought for me and even without replacing the burrs with those of the SJ.

www.greekespresso.gr
Tysen

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012, 4:24pm

greekespresso Said:

Welcome to CG forum Daniel.

Mazzer Mini E without a second thought for me and even without replacing the burrs with those of the SJ.

Posted April 26, 2012 link

Hi Greek,

thanks for your reply. Would you maybe have a minute or two to let me know why...I see in your profile that you have a vario so maybe you have some thoughts on this that might help me ;)

Dan
greekespresso
greekespresso

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012, 5:06pm

*Build quality of the Mazzer.
*I have not seen any improvement in taste compared to my Anfim Best with 54mm metallic burrs (under similar conditions when that is possible).
*The adjustment mechanism of the Vario does not inspire you confidence and your log data will be without any use if fine re-calibration of the grinder will be required.
*Mahlkonig in contrast to Baratza states that the warranty is void if the user performs fine calibration of the grinder.
http://www.mahlkoenig.de/file/download/default/id/4342
*There is overlapping between the macro grinding regions.
*The exceptionally happy owners of the Mini E in the Greek forum.
*In my grinder the markings of the micro scale do not correspond to actual steps and are quite hard to read (In the newest version of the Vario these problems have been fixed).

The main advantage of the Vario is its compact size and the exceptionally low grind retention, thus making it maybe one of the best grinders for grinding per dose.

www.greekespresso.gr
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 5:36am

To echo what he said, the build quality of a Mazzer is nothing short of top shelf. The mini may not be on my list as there are so many SJs out there and me, for myself, I am not a fan of installing parts from one machine onto a different machine, my personal view is that the maker knew what they were doing in the first place and they are much better funded to know the design limits of their products, but even modded, I would take the Mini first.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Tysen

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012, 4:07pm

A few things I should add maybe. I do 95% single shots in the 8-10g range. So I don't care too much about doubledose performance. And I like to switch coffees often...but only espresso mostly single blends.
KennyH

Espresso: Lelit PL041
Grinder: OE Pharos, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama 8 Cup
Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012, 5:29pm

I'm pretty sure that the Mazzer Mini E comes stock with 64mm burrs (the same as the SJ) as opposed to the standard Mazzer Mini which has 58mm burrs.
greekespresso
greekespresso

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012, 11:53pm

That is correct. Both Mini E and SJ use 64mm burrs but they have different design. Mazzer itself lists the burrs with different product codes.

For more read the link below:
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

www.greekespresso.gr
Tysen

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012, 2:13am

yes the burrs are same size which makes changing them to the jolly burrs easy. But they're not the same!
JZY

Espresso: Expobar Office Control, Sama...
Grinder: HG1 & Pede
Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012, 6:58am

Tysen Said:

A few things I should add maybe. I do 95% single shots in the 8-10g range. So I don't care too much about doubledose performance. And I like to switch coffees often...but only espresso mostly single blends.

Posted April 28, 2012 link

I recently upgraded from an Anfim Best to the Mazzer Mini E.  The Anfim was a good grinder, but the doser was a major pita for me and it was stepped which added another degree of limitation in dialing in grind + tamp.  The Mazzer build quality is far above the Anfim and the Vario.  It works great for single dosing and the stepless throat collar is easy to adjust the grind setting for different beans.  The stock 64mm burrs work very well and I believe make a better grind than the 54mm burrs in the Anfim (The Vario uses 54mm).  Go for the mini-e without reservation.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario or Mazzer...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271569013596)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+