Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Fiorenzato T80 needs a short hopper
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Fiorenzato T80...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
pittsbri
pittsbri
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livietta,Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Vario,Zassenhaus
Drip: Hario,Chemex
Roaster: Poppery 2
Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012, 3:05pm
Subject: Fiorenzato T80 needs a short hopper

anyone know of a source for a short hopper that would fit my Fiorenzato T80 grinder?
thanks in advance. I'd like finally get this thing to fit under the upper kitchen cabinets.

Brian

www.brianpittsphotography.blogspot.com
 View Profile Link to this post
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012, 3:26pm
Subject: Re: Fiorenzato T80 needs a short hopper

spent the last few minute looking for something.  sorry.  got nothing to report.  

i checked every hopper they sell at espressoparts and the only other one that would likely fit is the La San Marco but i dont think it's really much shorter(it's about 9 inches tall).

if it helps, i found that the OD of the standard T80 hopper is 68mm.
pittsbri
pittsbri
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livietta,Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Vario,Zassenhaus
Drip: Hario,Chemex
Roaster: Poppery 2
Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012, 4:47pm

so very kind of you to do some checking around. thank you very much.
I'll be checking some more myself of course and perhaps I'll simply buy a second hopper and cut that one down. I feel super fortunate to have this grinder. I got it extremely cheap and it had been cleaned up by a CG member who I bought it from. I'm a newbie but I went straight for the no messing around grinder which I think was the right thing to do. it's just BIG!!!!!

thanks again

Brian

www.brianpittsphotography.blogspot.com
frank828

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012, 5:04pm

if you're not using it in a commercial setting, maybe consider going hopperless and single dosing.  

in this case, you'd be weighing your beans each time you make espresso and grinding just what you need each time.   this will benefit you by giving you consistency in your dosage each and every time.  

many people will have a small brush to brush the leftover grinds in the doser and chute.  

this is how i plan on using my mazzer super jolly when i get my espresso machine as i dont have the height space on my counter either.
RichardCoffee

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: gaggia baby twin, mini...
Grinder: fiorenzato pietro 63mm,...
Roaster: weber grill with rk drum,...
Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012, 5:08pm

I cut my hopper down with a hacksaw blade.  The operation went smoothly.  The lid fits perfectly.  I cut it a point where the bowl rises about 3 1/2 inches. The hopper holds about 3/4 pounds of beans.  The grinder is now 15 1/4 inches tall with the hopper.  Good luck.

Bean2friends
frank828

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012, 5:09pm

there's some good videos of it being done here .  i'd keep your eye on tekomino's procedure.   Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

and here's one of someone doing the brushing Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
russel
russel

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012, 10:34pm

Hey Brian.

My recollection is that 1st-line had a solution for the more recent models that involved a smaller hopper of another make and a thick rubber gasket to make up the difference in diameters.  There is mention of it on the Doge page, but no link: Click Here (www.1st-line.net)

Most smaller hoppers are going to have a neck that is slimmer than the collar on your grinder.  With a little leg work you should be able to find gaskets that will make up the difference.  You could otherwise make your own with zip ties and a strip of medium density rubber a little bit thicker than the difference.  If you need some calipers to take the measurements I have some you can borrow.

On single dosing - The T80 is a poor single doser, like most of Fiorenzato's commercial flat burrs.  The burr carrier has a large inner ledge that catches beans, and the channel between the inner diameter of the burr and the carrier bolt is large and deep, which results in erratic grinding when single dosing.  With some beens in the hopper the feed is smoothed out.  

The best upgrade to this grinder would be a digital timer, either a GraLab style darkroom timer or a Delta-in-a-box DIY type of deal.  The T80 has a super small chute, so only a tiny purge is required to get things going.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AndyPanda
AndyPanda
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Thu Apr 19, 2012, 5:40am

I got a T80 a few years ago and I found a couple of solutions to the single dose problem - it works wonderfully now for single dose without retaining many grinds at all.  

I took one of those small, clear plastic cups with a lid from a fast food place (like what they put salsa or guacamole in at Chipotle - or tarter sauce at a fish and chips - know what I mean? ) and cut the bottom out of it and epoxied it (just at the bottom - top is clear all the way around) into the throat of the grinder where the hopper goes in.  Now there is a funnel shape so the beans slide right down into the grind chamber instead of hanging up on that shelf.  If you want to use the hopper - then you trim the top of the plastic cup until it just slides inside the hopper throat.  Slide the hopper stopper closed, measure in your dose and when you are ready to grind you slide open the stopper and the beans slide down the new funnel you made into the chamber and then slide the stopper closed again so the grinding beans don't popcorn (this grinder does popcorn a lot when you single dose).

Or if you want a really small hopper ... don't cut down the top of your little plastic funnel and just dose into that and snap the lid back on it. But I haven't found one that will also fit inside the hopper throat without cutting off the top - so it's one or the other.

The other mods I did to the T-80.  I got stainless fender washers at the hardware store that fit perfectly inside the lower burr to fill up all that space where grinds accumulate.  Now there are no grinds building up under the burr and the beans slide across that washer right into the grinding teeth.

And the sweeping blades don't even come close to the sides of the large grinding chamber or to the top - so you get grinds stuck in the chamber and on the underside of the adjusting collar that holds the top burr.  So I glued little stips of card stock (like a business card) on those wipers so it fits up against the bottom and sides of the grind chamber and left them tall enough that they sweep the underside of the top burr carrier too.  Now there are absolutely no grinds left inside the chamber and I only have to lift the dose lid and sweep out the chute - I get back every bit of the weight that I dose into the thing.  And the doser on the T-80 is way, way, way better than the mazzer dosers ... it sweeps pretty clean (and quiet) as it is.

And if you do use the hopper --- you can pump the lid up and down while you are grinding and that will puff out the grinds into the doser and you may not even need to sweep the chute.
russel
russel

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 6:40pm

Re - Hopper:

I found the link, but I don't know if 1st-line still sells all of the parts involved.

Click Here (www.1st-line.com)
MoffeeCoff
MoffeeCoff
Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012, 12:41am

Nice discussion are going on. I got some great suggestions here. I hope more discussions will further help me. Thanks!

http://www.coffeebeancounters.com.au/
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Fiorenzato T80...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.25852394104)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+