Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
having difficulty getting right grind from Preciso
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > having...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ocarolina
ocarolina
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio silvia 3
Grinder: baratza preciso
Drip: french press - no drip
Roaster: behmor / iroast2
Posted Mon Apr 2, 2012, 4:24am
Subject: having difficulty getting right grind from Preciso

I just got a Preciso last month, and am having trouble getting the right grind for espresso.  I go coarser, and no crema, I go finer, and grinds are saturated with a puddle of water, with a semi-weak shot.  I have a Rancilio Silvia- and am getting accustomed to temp surfing, but I cannot seem to get the grind right for a good 25 second shot with good crema.   I roast my own beans, so they are fresh - SM monkey blend, and espresso workshop blend.  I have been going between 8 and 11  - and it does not seem to matter if I fine tune the grind.  I had great pucks at first when I got the unit, but now not having too much luck.  

Any help would be appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
BodieWavejammer

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Mon Apr 2, 2012, 3:02pm
Subject: Re: having difficulty getting right grind from Preciso

Read this...

"Preciso burrs worn out?"
pilot25

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Mon Apr 2, 2012, 4:02pm

I have a similar problem.  I think the Silvia sets the pressure too high.  I'm going to attempt to set it to 9bars vs. the 15 Silvia is automatically set at.

It's not an easy fix.
ocarolina
ocarolina

Posted Mon Apr 2, 2012, 7:45pm

How can they be worn out, when I just got the dang thing 2 weeks ago? If it is that bad of a product, they why are people recommending it?  It cannot be the burrs - will look into adjusting the bars.
Intrepid510

Posted Thu Apr 5, 2012, 1:52pm

I am not quite sure what was wrong with mine, but I had it for a while before my issues started coming up and I did grind a lot of coffee through it. They mailed out a refurbed one to me, and I do think the burrs were worn out, but that is just my guess.

As far as your issue, you are not seeing a difference when you adjust your grind down? i.e. no difference from 12 to 8? Is the red dot on the upper burr holder in the 5 oclock position?

Less water, more grounds.
ocarolina
ocarolina

Posted Fri Apr 6, 2012, 7:15am

I got great espresso now, but I had to adjust all the way down to the lowest setting.  I guess it does not matter if it is the lowest setting, as long as it works.  My espresso beans were not ground fine enough at 8, so I guess I will just keep it there till the newly roasted beans are in there tomorrow.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Apr 6, 2012, 10:06am

ocarolina Said:

I got great espresso now, but I had to adjust all the way down to the lowest setting.  I guess it does not matter if it is the lowest setting, as long as it works.  My espresso beans were not ground fine enough at 8, so I guess I will just keep it there till the newly roasted beans are in there tomorrow.

Posted April 6, 2012 link

My first Preciso exhibited the same symptoms that you describe - at first setting #10 worked, but gradually I needed to grind finer and finer - a part of the adjustment ring inside the grinder had failed - Baratza made it right though.

I can't recommend strongly enough that you give them a call.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
jmrmotorhead

Espresso: Delognhi ec310
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Roaster: Popery 2
Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 5:28am

I love my preciso, it sounds like you have a problem with yours. At the least it could be calibrated to give you the right grind a bit higher in the scale. Honestly once you get it figured out I think you'll be very happy with it. Being my first prosumer grinder, it has made all the difference in my coffee, and I have heard excellent things about baratza's customer support.

Erik- I bought my preciso from you correct? If so the thing still holding up great, Craig did a great job with the fix for you. I have had nothing but consistant grinds since day one with it!

EricBNC Said:

My first Preciso exhibited the same symptoms that you describe - at first setting #10 worked, but gradually I needed to grind finer and finer - a part of the adjustment ring inside the grinder had failed - Baratza made it right though.

I can't recommend strongly enough that you give them a call.

Posted April 6, 2012 link

View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 7:16am

jmrmotorhead Said:

Erik- I bought my preciso from you correct? If so the thing still holding up great, Craig did a great job with the fix for you. I have had nothing but consistant grinds since day one with it!

Posted April 11, 2012 link

Mine went back to Baratza last year after they shipped me a replacement - I am not sure what happened to it after I dropped it off at the UPS store.  

Glad to hear yours is working well too.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
jmrmotorhead

Espresso: Delognhi ec310
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Roaster: Popery 2
Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 8:22am

EricBNC Said:

Mine went back to Baratza last year after they shipped me a replacement - I am not sure what happened to it after I dropped it off at the UPS store.  

Glad to hear yours is working well too.

Posted April 11, 2012 link

Hah must be a different Eric. I bought mine here in the for sale forum from somone earlier this year.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > having...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.335429191589)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+