Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Virtuoso Preciso - Not Grinding Fine Enough
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
acgibbs

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012, 11:22am
Subject: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso - Not Grinding Fine Enough

For the past couple of weeks, I've been unable to get a fine enough grind on my 9-month-old Baratza Virtuoso Preciso to get a decent shot.  I've got the grinder cranked all the way down to 1A and still can't get a 2 oz shot in 25 seconds (more or less)....instead, they're coming in at 15, 12 or even 10 seconds...fast and blonde.

Coffee is fresh - less than 2 weeks off roast.  Pulling shots with a double-basket Rancilio Silvia.

Suggestions?  Can this grinder be re-calibrated and, if so, can someone point me to a tutorial?

Appreciate your help, o coffee masters!
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012, 11:29am
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso - Not Grinding Fine Enough

acgibbs Said:

For the past couple of weeks, I've been unable to get a fine enough grind on my 9-month-old Baratza Virtuoso Preciso to get a decent shot.  I've got the grinder cranked all the way down to 1A and still can't get a 2 oz shot in 25 seconds (more or less)....instead, they're coming in at 15, 12 or even 10 seconds...fast and blonde.

Coffee is fresh - less than 2 weeks off roast.  Pulling shots with a double-basket Rancilio Silvia.

Suggestions?  Can this grinder be re-calibrated and, if so, can someone point me to a tutorial?

Appreciate your help, o coffee masters!

Posted January 25, 2012 link

Get in touch with Baratza. I needed a new adjustment ring to cure the same problem, very simple repair.
acgibbs

Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012, 11:40am

Of course!  I should have done that first.  Thanks for the reminder.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012, 11:47am

The web site has lots of troubleshooting with how tos and pics.

There is a calibration screw that is adjustable but from the sound of it this is not the issue. They should be able to save you plenty of time on your troubleshooting plus get a part out to you this week if that's what you need.
acgibbs

Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012, 12:08pm

FYI - Baratza.com has a pretty great troubleshooting section with step-by-step instructions to solve a number of common issues (including mine).  Good clear photos are included for just about every step.

Thanks for pointing me there!
Arethusa

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Posted Mon Jan 30, 2012, 9:19am

Did you solve your problem? I have the exact same problem (8mo old Preciso; bought it in May) that spontaneously stopped grinding fine enough in December after a routine disassembly and cleaning with Grindz. I got ahold of their customer support, and after some email exchanges back and forth for a week, they sent me a shipping label and I sent it back.

I just got it back a week ago, and it's exactly the same: can't grind nearly find enough even at extremely low settings. I took it apart over the phone with them and reseated the adjustment ring: still no effect. I asked about the fineness adjustment screw, and they said that's for finer adjustment problems than I'm having. At 10, the coffee it grinds brews a shot in about 3 seconds. They asked me to try new coffee (mine is frozen from Red Bird, but I live next to a coffee roaster): fresh oily beans got me up to 5 seconds. The best I got out of Baratza over the course of three days of phone calls was mild disbelief and a promise of another return label.

Kind of wishing I'd bought a different grinder right now. Coming up on two months this thing's been broken, and no one knows why. What am I supposed to do when this happens again out of warranty?
Arethusa

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Posted Mon Jan 30, 2012, 9:50am

Just read through the first ten or so pages of the Grinder subforum. What the hell is going on with the Preciso? A ton of people seem to be having the same problem? Really starting to regret getting stuck with this grinder now...
siedkins

Posted Mon Jan 30, 2012, 10:49am

I have exactly the same issue - I have just calibrated to the finest setting as per the Baratza guide and also per Seattle Coffee Gear's YouTube guide and I am still getting 15 second double shots and that is now on number 6. I have tried going tighter but the grinder jams and I have to then take it apart to clear it.

:(
lpounds
lpounds
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2012, 6:21pm

I've had 2 in the last year that have gradually become too coarse even at the finest setting. damn
cracker23

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 7:55am

Same problem here.  I replaced the entire plastic mechanism that controls the fine and coarse adjustment.  Now I'm in the high 10's getting 25 second shots.

I am no expert, but I think that the plastic pieces which make up the adjustment mechanism are pretty flimsy/cheap and prone to breaking or losing "tightness".  Now that I've seen these internals, I'm not gonna be constantly moving the adjustments back and forth between coffee and espresso as I worry this will eventually cause another issue.

The grinder seems to be top notch in build quality except for these components.

The guy that I dealt with at Baratza was really helpful, though.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.266831874847)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+