Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Pharos Sweeper Mod?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Pharos Sweeper...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
MikeReilly

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cimbali Junior Gaggia...
Grinder: Pharos CC45 Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast 2, Popper
Posted Sat Mar 10, 2012, 10:17pm
Subject: Re: Pharos Sweeper Mod?

CoffeeMac Said:

I bought a Pharos to see if I could taste the difference between 68mm conical burrs and the flat burrs in my Mazzer Mini without spending $2K+ on a Titan.  The answer is yes, but the jury is still out on whether or not the difference is big enough to warrant purchasing a new Titan.

Posted March 10, 2012 link

Ok, for both you and everyone else who upgraded from a mazzer mini (or who owns or owned a mini before a pharos):  how much improvement in the cup did you find over the mini?  I'm at the point where I'm thinking an upgrade to a Pharos is the way to go for me.  I have a good HX machine that I've brought back from the dead.  Just today I got the pump pressure dialed in (thanks to CC for stocking a pressurized portafilter for La Cimbali machines!!!).  Now I want that last bit of improved flavour and consistency that I hope to see by upgrading to 68mm conicals from 54mm flats.  Is that what the Pharos will provide?  I sure hope so, because I want to go from "Well, that was another satisfying cup" to "wow, that was a flavour bomb going off in my mouth!" (you know, the kind of shot that you are still tasting 10 minutes later).
 View Profile Link to this post
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012, 5:52am

Endo Said:

After all, who has a hammer in their kitchen?

russel Said:

Actaully, I think that a lot of people do...at lease all of those who like Doug and Barb's "OE Slap Shot" technique.  The puck makes and excellent blunt-non-marking-somewhat-quiet implement to use to knock out the grounds.  On a similar note, the new non-skid mat thing work as a decent PF holder while you tap with the puck.  I have zero mess when tapping the grounds into my LP PF.  I do use one of the OE funnels, so that isn't as large an accomplishment as it might sound.

Now your talking. I don't have a hammer, but I got a few hockey pucks lying around the kitchen. Never thought of using it to whack the Pharos but it might be exactly what I need. Perhaps I can carve it out tomake it into a PF holder as well. Hmmmmmm.....this has got me thinking.
fredk01

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012, 6:43am

Endo Said:

... Perhaps I can carve it out tomake it into a PF holder as well. Hmmmmmm.....this has got me thinking.

Posted March 11, 2012 link

::BIG grin::

I love it when the DIY light comes on!
CoffeeMac
CoffeeMac

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, OE Pharos, OE...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: FR+8
Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012, 8:20am

MikeReilly Said:

how much improvement in the cup did you find over the mini?

I've only done one semi-controlled comparison so far; I could tell a difference but I couldn't say which one was better. They were just a little bit different.  The pharos grounds are very fluffy while the mini grounds tend to be clumpy, but this doesn't seem to impact the extraction much with my Vivaldi. When trying new coffees I'll usually pull a few shots on the Pharos to see if there are any major revelations in the cup, but so far no. Based on all the posts here and on HB, I was expecting some massive difference between the mini and the 68mm burrs. But alas, no...I must just not have as refined a palate as some. I continue to use the mini as my day-to-day grinder for the most part. I've kind of cooled off on the idea of buying a Titan grinder at this point. If I find myself with $2K burning a hole in my pocket in the future I may look at a Compak K10 Fresh for speed/convenience, or a Versalab M3 for sheer geekiness.
Endo
Endo

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012, 9:50am

I am Titan skeptic as well, but I own several grinders, and I can honestly say the 68mm conicals on the Pharos do make a noticeable difference in the cup.

I think the deciding factor here on deciding to go for a $1500 titan like the K10 depends mostly on you. If your other "M's" like coffees, skills, espresso machine are already maxed out (and you have the money), a Titan grinder like the K10 can make all the difference. No other upgrades at this point will make as big a difference.

As I always tell people, "A good grinder should be your first purchase....a great grinder shoud be your last".
Endo
Endo

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012, 9:28am

I can't stop thinking about this Pharos sweeper mod. When I get a good idea it usually haunts me in my sleep:-)

I'm now thinking of machining the sweeper vane out of solid aluminum stock. I may try doing a CAD model and sending it to one of those online machine shops (always wanted to try one).

Since a sweeper made of aluminum would be a thing of beauty (muck like the inside of a doser), I think it would only be appropriate to replace the ugly, opaque PVC lower barrel with a nice clear polycarbonate version or similar material (just like the bean hopper but thicker). Besides being able to see the remaining grounds in the sweeper, it would also make it into a piece of moving art (IMO)!

Any idea where I could find a clear tube like this online? All I can find is expensive 8 foot lengths.
fredk01

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012, 1:27pm

A better bet for the tube might be to find a local plastic company that can sell you a scrap cut off.  Thicker tube in that diameter is going to come in minimum sizes at a hefty price.
Endo
Endo

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012, 4:35pm

McMaster sells 4" OD polcarbonate tubing in 1ft lengths it seems for only $21.

Click Here (www.mcmaster.com)

I measured the original PVC tube as 4.25" OD, so this will be a bit smaller. Still, I can make the aluminum sweeper 3.75" to fit the ID I suppose. The little hex head screws may not fit on top of the edge any longer, but I could always drill new top holes to secure it.

I was thinking of using the emachine shop for making my aluminum sweeper. Has anyone tried them?

http://www.emachineshop.com/
windhorze

Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012, 11:27am

Hi all,

New here to the (prosumer) espresso scene...but now well familiar to the term sink shot, channeling, choking, because it's been going on all morning. Luckily the beans were home roasted using the new Behmor (very happy with that). The trouble comes in with the new pharos and Rocket Giotto...My first pull was actually right on...then I had a half pound of sink shots...I should have slowed down and re-did things but my number one concern is with the pharos. Maybe I had some wondering initially, but what I am really wondering is whether i messed up the "spring screws" by fiddling with them. One is tight and won't loosen by fingers and one just twists and doesn't grip anything...yea, I know they were supposed to be preset...and I shouldn't have touched them at all. Do I need to break down the grinder to redo them? Do you think I'm getting an uneven grind leading to channeling? Anyone reset these on their unit yet? Thanks in advance for your input...I look forward to learning the new rigs...
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 7:45am

I too tired of whacking the Pharos to get all the grounds out of it so I did the Voodoodaddy Mod as Posted on HB.  Easy to grind, easy to clean and easy to get the grounds out and into the espresso machine!  I love the mod AND the Pharos!  The sweeper mod is interesting, but it looks like more work.  If you are concerned about restoring the Pharos to OEM specs at some point in time then contact Doug & Barb at OE about purchasing a back up, or a new main shaft, that you can cut for the MOD.

You might want to go over to HB and check out voodoodaddy mods to the Pharos.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Pharos Sweeper...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.334897994995)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+