Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Quick test on Vario timer
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Quick test on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 1:47pm
Subject: Re: Quick test on Vario timer

GDK Said:

Rob, Craig may be right. Take a mirror and place it under the grind dispensing hole to look up and see if grinds are stuck around the flap. If you see ground coffee in the pathway, get a toothpick (but break the sharp end) and gently remove the coffee. If the pathway is obstructed, then the flow coming out will be very irregular (bursts as opposed to a more steady flow) and quantity will vary quite a bit for the same time setting.

Posted March 5, 2012 link

More tests with out making any grind adjustments and some wild 4.5g differences after a deep clean, the conclusion from Kyle is the motor is speeding up and slowing down. I keep my equipment clean so it functions the way it should but I do go through 4lbs on average per week, this is conservative since some weeks I am doing many shots testing new roasts to dial in profiles which could be 5lbs in a weekend. If I wore a motor out in 2+ years I would think a more average home would get 5+ years of trouble free motor operation. Even now the Vario gives perfect grind performance just not accurate times.

Edit: I don't mean to come across as being rude with my above statement, it's just this has been going on for a few months and of course a deep clean was the first thing I checked including burrs being unscrewed, shoot being kept clean of build up, belt tension, recalibration, and pounds of coffee being weighed just to be certain things where off.
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 1:54pm

germantownrob Said:

If I wore a motor out in 2+ years I would think a more average home would get 5+ years of trouble free motor operation. Even now the Vario gives perfect grind performance just not accurate times.

If the belt is too loose it may be slipping over the drive gear teeth also, affecting the motors speed. This can also happen with a dirty motor commutator & its carbon brushs.

One thing I always clean & fix on any Baratza grinder refurbishment. Also re-tweeking & resetting the brushs spring tensioners too.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 2:07pm

CraigA Said:

If the belt is too loose it may be slipping over the drive gear teeth also.

That was a concern of mine as well. Kyle described the sound that makes and that is not what I am experiencing.

Kyle and I have worked things out and I must say I feel like I have been treated like royalty, couldn't be happier with the outcome. Thank you Kyle and Baratza!

Thank you Craig and GDK as well!
greekespresso
greekespresso

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mahlkönig Vario Home, Anfim...
Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 12:48am

germantownrob Said:

Is anybody else weighing their doses using the Vario?

Posted February 24, 2012 link

I missed your thread Rob. Even though I am fundamentalist regarding single dose grinding, I had performed a very crude time-dosing test in the past. My grinder was only about 7 months old at that time and of course my grinder never encountered heavy grinding sessions as yours. LOL

greekespresso: vario_time_dosing.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.greekespresso.gr
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 9:33am

Thanks for posting those results Christos, those are the results I would expect from the timer on the Vario here is attest without making any adjustments.

13 clicks down, 11sec
15.4g

Sadly I like to bang my head against a wall while I try to solve a problem, if I had switched to single dosing my frustration would have been far less, lol. I have some time before all is resolved so I will take your post as a sign to remove my frustration and SD my shots. Just did it, saved me the adding more grind or taking some out, espresso tastes better when frustration is not present.
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 2:49pm

I'm also having the same problem with dose and grind changing on the same setting grinding one right after the other. I called Baratza about it and they decided to send a new grinder. It arrived today (thank god) and this morning the old one quit grinding all together,can hear the motor running but not grinding.This leads me to beleave it was caused by belt sliping. On a side note the replacement grinder sent had a different face plate than the original one. I suspected it might be the older face plate but techs at Baratza say this is the one on the newest grinders. sleep works and does keep settings when unplugged.I'm not sure what the old (pre 2010)ones looked like but the new one is on the left.

kboom1: DSCF1017 (FILEminimizer).JPG
(Click for larger image)
GDK

Espresso: MiniVivaldi II, preinfusion,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario W
Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 4:58pm

The new face plate is the same as the one used on the Vario W model.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Wed Mar 14, 2012, 10:26am

I have the Vario-W sitting side by side with my old Vario, running them both empty is night and day for the sound the motors make. Also this past week plus I have been single dosing and around mid grind the motor changes speeds or at least the motor sound varies.

A new motor is $40 from Baratza and not a very difficult swap so for anybody experiencing similar problems this should fix the issue.

I want to thank Baratza and Kyle for helping to resolve this problem and hooking me up with a refurbed W to boot at a price I couldn't refuse!
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed Mar 14, 2012, 10:42am

Very cool. I am going to run the this on my Vario and post it for grins. I am going to single dose and put a digital timer on my Major and run the same type of test just to see.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Quick test on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.326798915863)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+