Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Virtuoso Preciso - Not Grinding Fine Enough
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Intrepid510

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012, 4:56pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso - Not Grinding Fine Enough

Unfortunately I have been having the same problem sounds a lot like AC's and wish he/she would've posted what solved their problem but judging from the fact they only have three posts in this thread I doubt they will come to enlighten us.

Anyway any ideas on what could be causing this problem? I have gone through some troubleshooting with Pierce and he is sending out bottom adjustment I believe. However, if there is something else I should be looking for I would greatly appreciate it because I would rather be making espresso tonight as oppose to Monday or Tuesday.

Less water, more grounds.
 View Profile Link to this post
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Mon Mar 19, 2012, 9:02am

I experienced this same problem over the weekend. When I went through the Baratza troubleshooting guide, and pressed down on my adjustment ring, it 'fell' a fair distance 'into place' and was grinding fine again. This morning, it's coarse on macro 1, so I called them up. Colin said as soon as I get my serial number to them, they will send me a new unit (mine is barely 30 days old).

Great customer service!!!
rlevine

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Izza Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Baritza Virtuoso Preciso,...
Drip: Hario kettle, V60, Chemex
Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 6:33am

I just wanted to chime in and say that I have experienced this twice now. after a month or two of owning my preciso, I could no longer get it to grind coarse enough for espresso, and in fact just about all settings were coming out much more inconsistent and with more coarse particles than it should. I contacted Baratza and they sent me a new adjustment ring and upper burr holder. Problem solved.

Now it's two and a half months later and I'm having this problem again - just a few days after setting up my new Izzo Alex Duetto II, so you can understand how incredibly frustrating it is. I took the grinder apart and I can see that one of the small tabs on the underside of the adjustment ring is chipped. I sent an email to Baratza to see what's up. From these experiences, it seems like these adjustment rings were not designed optimally for frequent grind changing. With my new Duetto, I was planning on getting a second dedicated espresso grinder, but for the time being I was switching from fine to coarse pretty frequently.

It looks like I'll be dropping some coin on a Compak or Macap sooner than I expected...

-Randy

--
www.snobcoffery.com
www.flickr.com/photos/rlevine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Gig103

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012, 4:34pm

So I posted just a few above and I had received my replacement the same week, so kudos to Baratza.

But just this morning, after being out of town for 2 weeks and the grinder being almost completely empty (No more beans in the hopper but I didn't shake out what was left), I put some more coffee in and started grinding on the same setting. I ground out what was left, and then a full portafilter. I found it incredibly coarse, and I have already had my Preciso replaced once for a bad adjustment ring. I was assured that the new one they fixed the defect.

I didn't have much time to really open it up, but I did adjust all the way up to 40, then back down to 3 while grinding to make sure the burrs don't get messed up. It was grinding very fine again, but I'm not sure why it did that to me while I was gone. I'm wondering if there's still a problem and my 'fix' was only a temporary thing.
pilot25

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012, 4:48pm

Same problem here.  After consistent grinding for a couple weeks I decided to clean it out.  After replacing the upper burr it wasn't grinding fine at all.  I readjusted the burr and it grinds fine again but the setting I previously was using is now not correct for a espresso shot.  I'm having to try and dial it in again.

Very frustrating.  The plastic parts are cheap and wear out easily. I'm guessing this is a model that shouldn't be adjusted often.  Dial it in and leave it alone until you need to clean it.

I thought for 300 bones I'd be getting a quality product but unfortunately if you tab espresso to anything then you are going to pay a premium.
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Tue May 1, 2012, 6:49am

pilot25 Said:

Same problem here.  After consistent grinding for a couple weeks I decided to clean it out.  After replacing the upper burr it wasn't grinding fine at all.  I readjusted the burr and it grinds fine again but the setting I previously was using is now not correct for a espresso shot.  I'm having to try and dial it in again.

Very frustrating.  The plastic parts are cheap and wear out easily. I'm guessing this is a model that shouldn't be adjusted often.  Dial it in and leave it alone until you need to clean it.

I thought for 300 bones I'd be getting a quality product but unfortunately if you tab espresso to anything then you are going to pay a premium.

Posted April 30, 2012 link

When you say you readjusted the burr, what do you mean? How far did the setting for that specific coffee you were using change?
sherpakid

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed May 2, 2012, 8:12am

I had similar issues, so I decided to recalibrate it by following the manual . In the process, I noticed that my adjustment ring was not on properly, so I followed these instructions . I had to glue it down to the gearbox. When I opened it, i noticed it was a bit loose. So I'm thinking that maybe it's not on all that well when it ships from the factory.

For now, this has fixed my problem and I grind for espresso and follow up with a pour over, so I'm changing my grind settings frequently. We'll see how long this lasts. Oh, and also, I noticed that initially before I recalibrated, my settings for an espresso grind were 3. Now they are at 6 to 7 depending on the bean. This is for 19.5grams of coffee for 1.5oz of espresso in 26sec.

www.nobletreecoffee.com
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Wed May 2, 2012, 8:20am

sherpakid Said:

I had similar issues, so I decided to recalibrate it by following the manual . In the process, I noticed that my adjustment ring was not on properly, so I followed these instructions . I had to glue it down to the gearbox. When I opened it, i noticed it was a bit loose. So I'm thinking that maybe it's not on all that well when it ships from the factory.

For now, this has fixed my problem and I grind for espresso and follow up with a pour over, so I'm changing my grind settings frequently. We'll see how long this lasts. Oh, and also, I noticed that initially before I recalibrated, my settings for an espresso grind were 3. Now they are at 6 to 7 depending on the bean. This is for 19.5grams of coffee for 1.5oz of espresso in 26sec.

Posted May 2, 2012 link

I heard directly from Baratza that all new Preciso's come with glued down adjustment base rings. Apparently they are not glued down on other grinders and it has never been an issue but the ware that the Preciso has faced from espresso and drip grind switching has stressed that base ring and caused it some issues along the way. I glued mine down as well. Time will tell, but my grinder has been performing very well since a replacement a while back.
Gig103

Posted Wed May 2, 2012, 12:35pm

I'm still having difficulty with mine again. It seems that it gets coarse when there aren't a lot of beans in the hopper, implying that the adjustment ring needs that extra pressure on it - but it shouldn't be that way. I already had one replacement from Baratza with what is supposed to be the "new" one, but I can't tell until I talk to them.

Very frustrating to say the least.

EDIT: I got through to support, and it turns out there has been another change to the assembly of the Preciso. The sturdier adjustment ring is indeed lifting up when the hopper is low, and now they are held down with adhesive from the factory. I am getting another replacement, and given this is my third they upgraded my shipping to 2-day so I can have it arrive when my freshly roasted Red Bird does!
pilot25

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Wed May 2, 2012, 6:49pm

Sam21 Said:

When you say you readjusted the burr, what do you mean? How far did the setting for that specific coffee you were using change?

Posted May 1, 2012 link

I just pushed over the plastic ring the upper burr is attached to.  It wasn't seated properly.  The setting was from 10 - 9 but I'm back to where I originally was before.  It's weird that I have to grind 3 shots worth in order to get consistency.  Shouldn't be that way.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.280318975449)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+