Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Quick test on Vario timer
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Quick test on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012, 8:57am
Subject: Quick test on Vario timer

So lately I got very anal about weighting my espresso doses post grind. My weighting is showing me that I can't on the timer to deliver the most accurate results so I thought I would test it out.

This is how I set the test up. Timer at 11.5sec for each grind. Single origin Brazil for beans and hopper kept 2/3rd to completely full for entire test. Grinding in and around what I am usually grinding at. 20sec rest in between each grind, I would like to try this again with more time between each grind.

Macro 1 click down, Micro 5 clicks down, 11.5 sec

Micro 6 clicks down, 11.5 sec

micro 7clicks down, 11.5 sec
17.3g
18.3g
18.7g

Micro 8 clicks down, 11.5 sec

Micro 9 clicks down, 11.5 sec

It really isn't all that bad when only needing to be in the ball park but a gram difference in some of the results with out changing a setting means I am always using a scale now. I can not say my grinder was any more accurate when new (this one is 2+ years old), I was fine with just weighting the first few shots and then trusted the timer when making grind adjustments just staying in the ballpark, I started weighting like this when I began to taste wide changes shot to shot in the same day or even session.

Any comments would be great.
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012, 4:49pm
Subject: Re: Quick test on Vario timer

Is anybody else weighing their doses using the Vario?

I can't say that the Vario ever behaved any different before I started weighing every dose but from posts I assumed people where getting more consistency then I am experiencing. I know longer feel like this has anything to do with any mechanical problem with the grinder, if I want finer I get it and if I want coarser I get it. Since I grind into the bin this has become a non issue, I grind more then I need then spoon out the extra to achieve the desired weight.

I have not sent anything to Baratza in hopes that owners would confirm I had an issue or share that the timer is actually just not as precise as I had assumed. A year ago I didn't care nor could tell much difference from a 17g shot to an 18g shot, curse you CG for helping me taste this difference.
BigStormGirl
BigStormGirl

Espresso: Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Baratza Vario/Peugeot Bresil
Drip: CCD
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012, 9:22pm

I had the same issue with the timer.  I ended up just weighing my beans, and throw it in the hopper so I could have consistency with my dose.  I would love to have the timer to be more consistent.  It would save me a step in my routine.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2012, 3:19pm

BigStormGirl Said:

I had the same issue with the timer.  I ended up just weighing my beans, and throw it in the hopper so I could have consistency with my dose.  I would love to have the timer to be more consistent.  It would save me a step in my routine.

Posted February 24, 2012 link

I got around to emailing Baratza about my times and Kyle got back to me, the Vario should be dosing around +/- 0.25g. He is sending me a new face plate just to rule out electronics then we will investigate further to try and sort out the issue.

I am due for a deep clean again but will wait until the face plate swap to see if some of the more drastic weight differences will show up then do a deep clean with more tests after that. As the fines build up I feel like the unpredictable timed amounts increases. I have not ever opened up the Vario body and wonder if fines have worked there way in and may be effecting the micro adjustment enough to give the results I have been getting.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2012, 8:02am

This morning is a good example of things being way off, triple pulled for my wife was a 22.3g dose, 2min later with no grind adjustments or timer adjustments 25.8g is what I received.

Craig if you are checking this thread out do you have any ideas? Kyle admits he is scratching his head a bit about these results especially since it behaves normal in some of the tests, but I am confident this will be resolved, Baratza has never let me down in 5+ years of using their products.
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Mar 4, 2012, 12:31pm

Hi Rob,

The only thing that comes to mind may be coffee sticking in the small horizontal coffee discharge pathway & the small rubber flap holding some of it back also.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2012, 1:56pm

CraigA Said:

Hi Rob,

The only thing that comes to mind may be coffee sticking in the small horizontal coffee discharge pathway & the small rubber flap holding some of it back also.

Posted March 4, 2012 link

Hi Craig,

I had some time so I did a clean, did not unscrew the lower burr which makes cleaning the shoot much easier but used a bent paper clip, not to much build up. I decided to have a look under the hood, my belt has about 3mm movement, 1mm more then suggested. I could not find my offset screw driver so will adjust after picking up another one.

I reassembled and recalibrated to back off the finer calibration I have been using. If I go past the mid way point where the motor labors by a click or two I used to hear a high pitched chirp of the burrs, the sound this time was not that, more of a scream. I wish I had left the cover off while recalibrating to see if the sound had anything to do with the belt or was the burrs. not sure to chalk it up to 2.5 year old burrs that have seen 4lbs a week on average or something else?
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 7:47am

Small test this morning after cleaning yesterday.

Micro 15 down, 11 sec
21.3g

Micro 14 down

Micro 13 down

Return to 15 clicks down

I am baffled! The first run and second run is what I experience in a normal day of pulling shots, the 3rd and 4th are what I expect from the Vario??!!
GDK

Espresso: MiniVivaldi II, preinfusion,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario W
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 12:21pm

Rob, Craig may be right. Take a mirror and place it under the grind dispensing hole to look up and see if grinds are stuck around the flap. If you see ground coffee in the pathway, get a toothpick (but break the sharp end) and gently remove the coffee. If the pathway is obstructed, then the flow coming out will be very irregular (bursts as opposed to a more steady flow) and quantity will vary quite a bit for the same time setting.
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 12:46pm

Thanks George, that's exactly what I was getting at.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Quick test on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.296844959259)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+