Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Virtuoso Preciso Problem
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Virtuoso Preciso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
scjavadr

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Dec 10, 2011, 6:53pm
Subject: Re: Virtuoso Preciso Problem

I had a similar problem.  I was typically using a setting of 8 or 9 with a few different bags of beans with great results.  Tried a new bag of 4 Barrel's Friend Blendo, and could never get it to pull correctly, always too fast.  As I tigntened the grind, it just caused the grinder to jam.  I gave up and instead ground those beans with my hand grinder which worked well.  Went back to a different bean, and I'm pulling again at 8 or 9.

I'm puzzled by this, and I don't want the Preciso to jam or break.
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 8:22am

scjavadr Said:

I had a similar problem.  I was typically using a setting of 8 or 9 with a few different bags of beans with great results.  Tried a new bag of 4 Barrel's Friend Blendo, and could never get it to pull correctly, always too fast.  As I tigntened the grind, it just caused the grinder to jam.  I gave up and instead ground those beans with my hand grinder which worked well.  Went back to a different bean, and I'm pulling again at 8 or 9.

I'm puzzled by this, and I don't want the Preciso to jam or break.

Posted December 10, 2011 link

You may want to do this check list from Baratza's web site. Click Here (www.baratzallc.com) My problem is the part where you put pressure on the adjustment ring, I am loose at the 11 and 3 o'clock positions while 7 o'clock is solid. I have a choice for a new grinder or to fix it myself with new parts. At first I was going to get a replacement but considering almost every package I have received recently looked like gorillas did all the handling I think I will just get the parts to make sure I have a second espresso grinder for the holidays.

Craig, I see above you mention a way to take the grinder apart that has a softer touch but I do not see a description of how to do so, sorry if I missed it. Would you point me in the right direction? When I look at Baratza's directions I can see in the pictures the scares from the screwdriver.
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 9:06am

germantownrob Said:

Craig, I see above you mention a way to take the grinder apart that has a softer touch but I do not see a description of how to do so, sorry if I missed it. Would you point me in the right direction? When I look at Baratza's directions I can see in the pictures the scares from the screwdriver.

Posted December 13, 2011 link

Hi Rob,

There isn't a description on how to do it on the Baratza website. It's the way I do it for my Baratza grinder refurbishing.

Couldn't be simpler.. After taking off the bean hopper, turn the grinder upside down & pry out the clear plastic feet. Then it's a #2 Phillips screwdriver to remove all four (4) base attachment screws. Remove the metal base plate.
Find a suitable (not too skinny but wide enough flat blade screwdriver) & then proceed to gently pry the casing away from the base at all four indented outer grinder casing slot positions. {;-)

When you'e done, don't forget to take a pair of pliers & squish down each clear plastic foot., this plumps up the diameter of each foot slightly so that they'll be a nice snug fit again.
The reason being that during removal, the feet become enlongated & stretched slightly & will be loose if you put them back like that.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 9:39am

CraigA Said:

Brian, that's the BEST way to do it in my opinion., no offense to Pierce or whomever made the service pdf. Doing it the way listed on the pdf, I've seen more than a couple of damaged, gouged, scratched grinders coming back in for refurb that way.

NO ONE wants to buy a refurb if it's beat up & looking like Hell, & myself & other Baratza service centers are left with grinders that won't or can't sell (I for one will not in the condition I've seen some of the bases!)., then having to wait for a shipment of used bases to replace/swap out the buggered up ones..

Posted November 30, 2011 link

Thanks Craig.

This is the post I was referring to and as I mentioned before I can see the on the pics in the PDF their grinder is all buggered up where the screw driver was used to pry the case open. I will use some wooden or plastic shims for the leverage points to try and avoid the dings and scratches.

Good advice for the feet, mine are stored away since the Preciso is paired with the Esatto but I will give them a crimp so they are good to go if I need to reinstall them.
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 9:51am

germantownrob Said:

Thanks Craig.

Posted December 13, 2011 link

No problem.

This is the post I was referring to and as I mentioned before I can see the on the pics in the PDF their grinder is all buggered up where the screw driver was used to pry the case open. I will use some wooden or plastic shims for the leverage points to try and avoid the dings and scratches.

Yes I know the post you were referring to.
It's probably a reserved test grinder that they use over & over (test unit) to teach the new tech/s on utube vids, etc.. Shims? My way you wouldn't need to do that as the base is OFF, then you're separating the plastic base from the plastic casing., no metal base to accidentally ding, scratch with the screwdriver prying against the sidewall of the metal base..

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 11:12am

Ahhhhh, take the base off then remove the body, got it, that only took a couple days for it to sink in.
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 1:58pm

germantownrob Said:

So looks like I have a problem with my...Preciso...changed settings to do some espresso, gushers and it will not adjust fine enough anymore...

Posted December 9, 2011 link

This happened to me yesterday, but I chalked it up to past-peak beans. Then this morning I was getting gushers using fresh beans 3 macro settings down from my usual sweet spot. I checked the adjustment ring and found it was much looser at the 11:00 position. Colin at Baratza is sending me out a refurbished replacement Preciso featuring two upgrades: a beefed up adjustment ring (reinforced with fiberglass) and a quieter gearbox. While I wait for the UPS guys to saunter across the country with the "new" grinder, I think I'll be able to use the old Preciso (bought 6/7/11, btw) at coarser settings. The press grind still appears good (just checked).

p.s. Rob, thanks for the email earlier.
VolatileBeans

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 5:31pm

Do you know if all new preciso machines will be featuring those two upgrades?
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 5:33pm

^^^ Hi. That was suggested in another thread, but I'm not sure (didn't ask Colin).
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 6:01pm

I would imagine so. They wouldn't use 'old' parts in new 2012 grinders I'd think.

I've been aware of the new parts for some time now, being a/the Canadian Baratza warranty & repair service technician. The 'quieter' gearbox is nothing more than a new baseplate for the "teething" problem that was mentioned by another CG member a while ago.
Now that it's been know for some time on the CG forums & common knowledge, I can talk or discuss about this.

Anything you'd like to know about, more than likely I have an answer. {;-)

No one has really asked me any direct questions, so I haven't provided the answers..

showing page 7 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Virtuoso Preciso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.33419585228)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+