Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
HC-600, AKA "The Chinese Mazzer Super Jolly"
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > HC-600, AKA "The...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: 73' Cremina, '74 Club,...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Thu Jan 5, 2012, 5:02pm
Subject: HC-600, AKA "The Chinese Mazzer Super Jolly"

((In spite of the fact that I am trying to stay on the straight and narrow path to recovery from "upgrade-itis", I found a HC-600 in pristine condition on Craigslist and I had to satisfy my curiosity.  The one I picked up is a '06 Zenith 1600 sold I believe by Eureka, but I have seen these branded by all sorts of companies - Brasillia, Cecilware, Expobar, Laranzato, Hey Cafe (actual manufacturer?).  There is a conversation about them on CG ("Rebadged Mazzer Super Jolly?"), and on HB (Click Here (www.home-barista.com)).  They seem to have garnered the approval of Paul Pratt, which is not trivial.  1st-line stopped carrying them a while ago, and I haven't found any other reputable reseller.  

I am hoping to do the following with this grinder:

• Take it apart and document its construction/design
  • Compare its construction to that of my of SJ
  • Compare its grind to that of my other 64mm flat burrs (if my beans budget allows it)

I would also like to solicit and answer any questions concerning its build that CG'er may have, such as measurements of this and that etc..  When I am done I am hoping to pass it along (hopefully at my cost, which was low) to someone with a more discerning palate than mine to do an assessment of its performance in the cup.  I have neither the time nor the beans to attempt to do this myself, I am only available to geek out in the evenings which is not a good time for espresso - for me that is.

So...is there anything anyone wants to know about this thing?

Update: Technical Specifications

Manufacturer: ?
Rebranded as: Brasillia HC600, Cecilware Venezia 600, Eureka Zenith 1600, Expobar 600, Hey Cafe HC-600, Laranzato HC-600

Burr Type:  64mm Flat
Burr Speed: 1550 rpm
Power: 120v, 350 watts, 3A
Measurements w/ Stock Hopper & Grinds Tray: 22" H x 8.5" W x 15" D (56cm H x 22cm W x 38cm D)
Measurements w/o Hopper & Tray: ?" H x ?" W x ?" D (36.7cm H x ?cm W x ?cm D)
Weight: 31 pounds (14 kilograms)
Period of Production: ? to present
MSRP: ?
US Street Price - new: $500 (USD 2011)
US Estimated Used Price - good condition: $200-$300 (USD 2011, this is a guess)
Dosserless Modifications: so similar to Mazzer Super Jolly...

As of 01/15/12, the most reliable source for information about this model I have found is Cecilware's website (Click Here (www.grindmaster.com))

Russel

russel: DSC_0125.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
russel
russel

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 9:36pm
Subject: Re: HC-600, AKA "The Chinese Mazzer Super Jolly"

So the first thing I noticed about the HC-600 is shaped differently than an SJ.  It is rounded all over.  It's a little bit taller.  It's a little bit wider.  Depth from the front of the doser to the back is the same as my SJ (from 2000 I think).  The paint is not of a similar hight quality as Mazzer paint.  This seems to hold throughout; most things are solid, but not as solid as on a Mazzer.  My wife feels that the HC 600 looks more like a kitchen appliance compared to the SJ's clearly commercial appearance.  She also notes that that difference makes it look a little bit cheaper when compared to the Mazzer.  The one I picked up has a timer, and the timer knob is just about the cheapest thing I have ever encountered on a commercial product.  The PF fork is cast a little bit thiner than the Italian PF forks that I have dealt with.  The same can be said for the grind adjustment collar.  Ditto for the sheet metal on the doser, acceptable and +1 for being metal, but thinner than stock Mazzer dosers.  

On a positive note, the whole thing is very heavy, large, and feels solid.  The one I picked up is in great shape.   It is not a trivial grinder and had I paid $300 for this (it is used), I would feel satisfied that I had purchased a solid bit of commercial appliance at an acceptable price.

russel: side_small.jpg
(Click for larger image)
russel
russel

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 9:39pm

The first thing I did when I got this home was to open up the burr chamber to see whats what.  As threads elsewhere have noted, the similarity to a Mazzer is unapologetic.

russel: DSC_0143_75k.jpg
(Click for larger image)
russel
russel

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 10:20pm

And the top burrs...

russel: topburrs_small.jpg
(Click for larger image)
russel
russel

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 10:25pm

The adjustment ring feels nice in the hand and is easy to turn...

russel: ring_top_small.jpg
(Click for larger image)
russel
russel

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 10:26pm

...but you can see a lower level of finish on the underside.

russel: ring_small.jpg
(Click for larger image)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 7:46am

Russel, thanks for taking this on.
Are the burr sets easily available for replacement or is a special order from China now that you have not found a top notch retailer for them anymore?
Also, I do like the "bumps" on the adjustment wheel though the moveable pin on the SJ is nice too as it provides leverage on the collar where you want it.

The similarity between the SJ and this burr carrier is striking, have you had a chance to use it much, how is the grind quality to the SJ? I know for the most part, that is a subjective thing, at least without a series of sizing sieves anyway.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 8:36am

calblacksmith Said:

Are the burr sets easily available for replacement or is a special order from China now that you have not found a top notch retailer for them anymore?

Posted January 12, 2012 link

Seeing as it's basically a carbon copy of the Mazzer SJ, it'd be cool if the stock OEM Maz SJ burrs would just drop in there (& maybe they do!) {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
russel
russel

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 9:47pm

There is an exchange on HB that seems in include a rep from whatever entity it is in China that actually designed and/or manufactures these.  This Hey Cafe rep states:

"Our burrs are fully compatible with Mazzer burrs"

I don't know what this means.  If anyone has some extra Mazzer SJ burrs, maybe some really worn out ones that got replaced, I would be happy to pay for the postage over to me so that I could see if they fit.  I would just use my own SJ burrs, but just sold it.
russel
russel

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 9:54pm

I want to move on to the doser...but I have to post this photo...it just cracks me up.  This is just so Mazzer, right down to the identical patch of adhesive backed padding surrounding the burr outlet and the screw placement

russel: body_small.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > HC-600, AKA "The...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.325653076172)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+