Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
How fine to grind for espresso
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > How fine to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
kenintenn

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Dec 31, 2011, 5:15pm
Subject: How fine to grind for espresso

In one of the Coffeegeek 'how to' guides, it suggests for beginners on a budget (like me) the Baratza Maestro Plus or Virtuoso grinders. After looking at the Coffeegeek reviews, I see that some people love them, and some think they don't grind fine enough for espresso. The Baratza web site shows that they grind down to 300 and 250 microns respectively. I'm wondering how fine the grind needs to be for espresso. Thanks. Ken
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Jan 1, 2012, 3:06am
Subject: Re: How fine to grind for espresso

Neither the Maestro Plus, nor the Virtuoso are really appropriate grinders for brewing espresso. IMHO the entry level Baratza grinder that is capable of grinding adequately for espresso is the Preciso having enough settings with its macro and micro adjustment. Even though the Virtuoso might work for espresso (in contrast to the Maestro Plus is does grind fine enough), its steps are too wide.

The required fineness of grounds needs to be dialed in with your espresso machine, until you get the extraction time you need. That setting can change daily depending on factors like humidity and aging of the beans, for example. Sometimes that difference is only a fraction. If the steps of your grinder are too wide, it might leave you stuck in between two steps for proper extraction.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Sun Jan 1, 2012, 7:01am

NobbyR Said:

Neither the Maestro Plus, nor the Virtuoso are really appropriate grinders for brewing espresso. IMHO the entry level Baratza grinder that is capable of grinding adequately for espresso is the Preciso having enough settings with its macro and micro adjustment. Even though the Virtuoso might work for espresso (in contrast to the Maestro Plus is does grind fine enough), its steps are too wide.

The required fineness of grounds needs to be dialed in with your espresso machine, until you get the extraction time you need. That setting can change daily depending on factors like humidity and aging of the beans, for example. Sometimes that difference is only a fraction. If the steps of your grinder are too wide, it might leave you stuck in between two steps for proper extraction.

Posted January 1, 2012 link

I prefer stepless grinders and conical burrs, still that is not a good reason to throw away a decent stepped grinder, because half gram of coffee, more or less, will make the difference, when you are "stuck" in between two steps..... let's just be practical....
Happy new year, ciao, Pietro
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Jan 1, 2012, 7:39am

First and foremost, Ken, welcome to CoffeeGeek (and Happy New Year!)

kenintenn Said:

In one of the Coffeegeek 'how to' guides, it suggests for beginners on a budget (like me) the Baratza Maestro Plus or Virtuoso grinders. After looking at the Coffeegeek reviews, I see that some people love them, and some think they don't grind fine enough for espresso.

Posted December 31, 2011 link

In the grand scheme of things, Ken, neither the Maestro Plus nor the Virtuoso are great grinders for espresso, but they will do (the Virtuoso more than the Maestro Plus) in a pinch, if that's what you got!

kenintenn Said:

I'm wondering how fine the grind needs to be for espresso.

Posted December 31, 2011 link

There is no single answer for that (e.g. ____ microns) in terms of size.  It varies with the type of beans, the roast level, the age (how long since the beans were roasted), the machine you're using, the type of shot you're pulling, and so on and so on and so on . . . .

You might want to take a look at Dialing in a new espresso machine, a step by step guide.

Approximately, the grinds should be about the same size as/a little smaller than white sugar crystals, and should feel smooth and stay pressed together between your fingers, but not so small that they are like powdered sugar or talc.  

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > How fine to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.24404001236)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+