Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Grinder recommendations - low budget, portafilter compatible
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
amys

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Dec 26, 2011, 1:51am
Subject: Grinder recommendations - low budget, portafilter compatible

Hi there -

I'm looking to buy a grinder in the $150-200 range and feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the choices. All I really care about is that it's good for espresso and it can grind directly into a portafilter without making a huge mess, and it would be nice but not vital if it didn't have to be babysat while grinding. (For context, I have a Saeco Aroma with a 55mm pressurize portafilter.) So far the Breville Smart Grinder looks best, but there are so many options I'm having a hard time evaluating. Also, I'm seeing talk of portafilter funnels that I assume go with grinders not outfitted to hold a portafilter, but are these compatible with all grinders?

Thanks for any help!
 View Profile Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Dec 26, 2011, 3:27am
Subject: Re: Grinder recommendations - low budget, portafilter compatible

I posted about this grinder a while back - no telling how good a job it does, but the price is in your budget and it can grind into your portafilter.

EricBNC Said:

Krups GX610050 Professional Die Cast Conical Burr Grinder

"... from 20 different textures ranging from very fine for espresso machines to very course for use in a French press. Next, determine the number of coffee drinkers and adjust the quantity setting from 2 to 20 cups ...The machine automatically stops once the designated quantity has been achieved and the coffee extracts easily via a removable container. Topped with a large capacity hopper, the grinder fills effortlessly and provides easy access to its removable burr for cleaning. 150 watts"

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Looks like a Graef CM80

Click Here (www.amazon.de)

and the Sunbeam EM0480 - but the burrs are a different design

http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/sunbeamgrinder.html

Could be interesting for $100.

Posted December 7, 2011 link

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Dec 27, 2011, 7:33am

Amy, your email address is not showing up, send me an email.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Tue Dec 27, 2011, 4:16pm

amys Said:

Hi there -

I'm looking to buy a grinder in the $150-200 range and feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the choices. All I really care about is that it's good for espresso and it can grind directly into a portafilter without making a huge mess, and it would be nice but not vital if it didn't have to be babysat while grinding. (For context, I have a Saeco Aroma with a 55mm pressurize portafilter.) So far the Breville Smart Grinder looks best, but there are so many options I'm having a hard time evaluating. Also, I'm seeing talk of portafilter funnels that I assume go with grinders not outfitted to hold a portafilter, but are these compatible with all grinders?

Thanks for any help!

Posted December 26, 2011 link

Hi, I may not be the best qualified to give you advice, still it seem that there is nothing worthy Espresso below the 200 $ target and that the minimum stays in between 2-300, Funnels are not a substitute for portafilter holder, rather meant to catch grinds that are flown around, about baby sitting just keep in mind that any decent espresso grinder grinds 1.1-1.3 grams /second so your baby sitting would be very short : whenever you hear 20-30 second grinding time is because grinder (even new..) got wrong set of burrs)
Ciao, pietro
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Tue Dec 27, 2011, 4:24pm

EricBNC Said:

I posted about this grinder a while back - no telling how good a job it does, but the price is in your budget and it can grind into your portafilter.

Posted December 26, 2011 link

Die cast burrs do not have the mechanical precision required by a quality grinder and if they work correctly espresso grade is just a chance: the best burrs are precision machined beause they guarantee total adjustability and uniform particles : of course die cast are cheaper than machined burrs:
Ciao, Pietro
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Dec 29, 2011, 9:14am

cappuccinoboy Said:

it seem that there is nothing worthy Espresso below the 200 $ target and that the minimum stays in between 200-300

Posted December 27, 2011 link

+1

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2011, 9:28am

unless you buy used.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2011, 1:00pm

cappuccinoboy Said:

Die cast burrs do not have the mechanical precision required by a quality grinder and if they work correctly espresso grade is just a chance: the best burrs are precision machined beause they guarantee total adjustability and uniform particles : of course die cast are cheaper than machined burrs:
Ciao, Pietro

Posted December 27, 2011 link

The machine is die cast metal - the body is not plastic - it is made from polished metal. Not the burrs though - these have machining marks on the flat surfaces - not something you would see on die cast burrs - the confusion is likely one of translation, not engineering.  The machine is essentially a relabeled Sunbeam - espresso enthusiasts in Australia consider this machine to be a decent entry level espresso grinder.

Does the photo of the burr set (found in the link I provided) look like it is die cast?

EricBNC: Krups Burr.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Dec 30, 2011, 8:05am

LOL! Eric, yes they look die cast and OH, BTW, read the heading of the picture....

"Professional DIE CAST conical burr    grinder, black"

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Fri Dec 30, 2011, 8:13am

calblacksmith Said:

LOL! Eric, yes they look die cast and OH, BTW, read the heading of the picture....

"Professional DIE CAST conical burr    grinder, black"

Posted December 30, 2011 link

Did you miss the word "grinder" too?  The machining marks on the burrs begs the question - why bother if the burrs are cast?  I think the cast part of the description is the metal shell - maybe I am wrong but you need to do better than that misquote of the photo title.

look at this photo's description - these can't be relied upon - that is a very flat conical burr.

EricBNC: krups burr.jpg
(Click for larger image)

showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.354363918304)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+