Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Compak K3 clogging when coffee is ground very fine
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Compak K3...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
kingoslo

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Dec 24, 2011, 4:11pm
Subject: Compak K3 clogging when coffee is ground very fine

Hello there,

I got my first grinder today. A K3 touch. When the grind is set very fine, it seems the chute where the coffee exists clogs up, or something, because after a while it stops extracting ground coffee. I find I have to remove the hopper and front cover, then poke a screwdriver in to get it out. Then I start over, and it clogs up once again.

Surely this must be quite terrible design, or perhaps it is my fault?

What do you reckon?

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Marius
 View Profile Link to this post
diggi
diggi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sat Dec 24, 2011, 4:21pm
Subject: Re: Compak K3 clogging when coffee is ground very fine

Is it too fine??? what shot times are you getting?

Are you using fresh beans of high quality roast....I had similar results to this when I first got my set up and only had access to crap beans (really dark and oily crap).  Need beans within last 2weeks of roasting.
kingoslo

Posted Sat Dec 24, 2011, 4:49pm

No idea man. I had less than 10 sec extraction time for a single shot earlier. But when trying to grind finer, the grinder started clogging up.

No idea if the beans are a high quality roast.

Says Caffe' Musetti on the bag. It has an Italian flag on it. Only date printed on it is 11.2013. I assume that is not when it was grinded, as we have not yet passed the date.

Thanks.M
diggi
diggi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sat Dec 24, 2011, 5:59pm

So that's problem #1.  The beans.  Need fresh artisan roast.

1. What are you pairing the grinder with?
  2. What dose are you using?  By weight if you have a scale.  Just to get an idea of how fine you are grinding (maybe actually grinding finer than you think if you are underdosing).
SHCoffee
SHCoffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Wega/Compak K3 Elite
Posted Thu Jan 5, 2012, 11:54am

OP:
I've got a Wega 5.8a MiniMax that's a rebranded K3 Elite.  I had the same issue as you describe when I first unpacked the grinder and threw in whatever beans I had in the kichen.  I had adjusted the grinder to pretty fine setting and promptly clogged the grinder.  After cleaning it out, putting in fresh beans and adjusting the grind coarser, I had no problems.  I've found that, out-of-the-box, the grinder is (as the manual says) definitely set in the "espresso area".  IOW, even the coarsest setting is somewhat fine.  As you probably know, there's 3 screws you can undo and adjust the grinder to coarser settings.  Insofar as I only use mine for espresso, I've not done that.  

Good luck.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jan 5, 2012, 12:11pm

kingoslo Said:

Says Caffe' Musetti on the bag. It has an Italian flag on it. Only date printed on it is 11.2013. I assume that is not when it was grinded, as we have not yet passed the date.

Thanks.M

Posted December 24, 2011 link

UH, are you saying that you are REgrinding the coffee a second time at home?

Yes, the beans are hopelessly stale. If there is a "use or best by date" on the bag, do not even buy it, it was stale long, long ago.

Only use beans that you know the day THAT THEY WERE ROASTED ON to start the two week clock.... from the day they were roasted.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Compak K3...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.239549160004)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+