Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Lelit PL53 or Ascaso Mini ?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Lelit PL53 or...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
wpking

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 9:15am
Subject: Lelit PL53 or Ascaso Mini ?

I'm starting to acquire my first home espresso setup and am looking for a good affordable espresso grinder. After reading all the information I could find, I settled on these two.
Based on my research they both perform well in their price class. The Lelit seems to be a little less well constructed than the Ascaso while the Ascaso seems to retain more
grinds in the machine than the Lelit.

Would anyone like to comment on which machine would be the better buy ? Thanks.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MikeGraff

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europicolla
Grinder: Broken Starbucks Barista
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: nope
Roaster: nope
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 8:04am
Subject: Re: Lelit PL53 or Ascaso Mini ?

HI folks,

New here on the forum and am finding myself in need of a new grinder to go with my La Pavoni.  I only really make espresso at home so I don't mind not being able to easily switch to a coarser grind.  My budget is $250-300 so both the Lelit and Ascaso iMini seem like good fit.  My primary concerns are getting the best shots from my pavoni and reliability...if I'm going to invest this much on a grinder it needs to last me a long time.  

Found this thread but there weren't any responses, wondering if anyone had an updated opinion between these two grinders?  Or should I spend $50 more and get the Rocky?

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 7:22am

Welcome to the board,
Rocky has seen better price/performance days. He is a bit dated for what you get for the money spent and is no longer a go to starter espresso grinder. We tend to advise the Baratza line of grinders for the customer service and quality/price point.
The Preciso Click Here (www.baratza.com) is our normal starting point in their lineup for espresso use.
The quality of the grinder can not be over done, the grinder is more important than the espresso machine.
Baratza has a referb section and offer great customer service with them, be patent though, the stock comes and goes, check weekly to see what is on hand. Click Here (www.baratza.com)
At the time of my post, they have a Preciso for $239.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 4:33pm

IMO the Preciso burr carrier is not quite up to the task for consistent espresso grinding; too many problems and the holder is not rigid enough. You are better off for espresso  consistency and reliability to go with the stepless Trespade burr set in the Le'lit PL53. If you can afford the Baratza Vario, that would be the next step up.
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 4:59pm

Had both 2 baratza grinders and also a Lelit.  With Lelit, three years and no problem. Using the baratzas for regular grind - result - cracked burr holders X 3. Now using a kitchen aide, not happy, but it is rock solid and grinds beans for my chemex , not great,  but adequate. Conclusion, if you are using it for ONLY espresso grinding, the Lelit will serve you well and reliably.
MikeGraff

Espresso: La Pavoni Europicolla
Grinder: Broken Starbucks Barista
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: nope
Roaster: nope
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 9:48pm

Thanks for the feedback so far folks.  I had originally been looking at the Baratza Preciso but all the reliability stories has scared me off and pushed me back towards Ascaso or Lelit.

I asked on the HB forum and got lots of recommendations for the Pharos, but not sure if I can hang with such a device long term... ;)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Lelit PL53 or...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.211073875427)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+