Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Virtuoso Preciso Problem
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Virtuoso Preciso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011, 2:47pm
Subject: Re: Virtuoso Preciso Problem

CraigA Said:

Eric, the extreme far right on the furthermost right hand slot is the finest setting in the espresso range. The standard default position from the manufacturer AFAIK is right in the center of the center slot position.

Posted November 25, 2011 link

I thought so too (about the default screw positioning) but when I took the case off the calibration was set all the way to the right - looks like it took two attempts since there are two screw holes right next to each other.  I wonder what other assembly instructions were not followed with this particular grinder.  I am not sure if the issue is related but I needed to go to 4 to grind fine enough while most report something around 9 does the trick.

I am considering asking for a replacement for this unit - Also, I would like to know know if these burrs have premature wear - the inside teeth on the outer burr looks like the photo below.

EricBNC: cg burrs.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011, 3:45pm

EricBNC Said:

I thought so too (about the default screw positioning) but when I took the case off the calibration was set all the way to the right - looks like it took two attempts since there are two screw holes right next to each other.

Ok, I didn't mention that., but it should be self evident about the two calibration anchor holes right next to each other. The furthermost of those two holes would have the grinder one click away form the very finest setting possible. If one used the anchor hole to the left of that one, you'd have the most extremely finest setting possible. I don't recommend that & President Kyle Anderson doesn't either because you could possibly have a condition/problem where the uppermost grind adjuster ring will pop out/dis-engage from the calibration two piece ring assembly & may or may not lock together properly.

Also, I would like to know know if these burrs have premature wear - the inside teeth on the outer burr looks like the photo below.

No!, that's the way the new Lictenstein burr set is designed., see here please, the 6th & 7th, 8th pic: Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011, 3:52pm

That is good to know (not that I see anywhere to look in your post - no link)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011, 4:11pm

Because I was looking for the link & then I'd come back & post it ok?

See above please..

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011, 5:09pm

CraigA Said:

Ok, I didn't mention that., but it should be self evident about the two calibration anchor holes right next to each other. The furthermost of those two holes would have the grinder one click away form the very finest setting possible. If one used the anchor hole to the left of that one, you'd have the most extremely finest setting possible. I don't recommend that & President Kyle Anderson doesn't either because you could possible have a condition/problem where the uppermost grind adjuster ring will pop out/dis-engage from the calibration two piece ring assembly.

I do not understand this part of your post (the part in bold) - if it is not recommended that the slot be used then why was my grinder set up this way from the factory?

CraigA
CraigA

Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011, 5:33pm

EricBNC Said:

I do not understand this part of your post (the part in bold) - if it is not recommended that the slot be used then why was my grinder set up this way from the factory?

I'm not talking about the far right slot NOT being used, I'm refering to the left hand anchor hole possibly being a problem, not the right hand one.

I'm saying don't use this 1st anchor hole because it pushes the assembly to within a hairs breath of disengagement ----> <---- Use this one on the right & there'll be no issues. I'm just explaining what I heard & was told.
I also know from experience (repair & refurbishment). I'm done splitting hairs with the minutia..

EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011, 5:48pm

CraigA Said:

I'm not talking about the far right slot NOT being used, I'm refering to the left hand anchor hole possibly being a problem, not the right hand one.

I'm saying don't use this 1st anchor hole ----> <---- Use this one on the right. I'm just explaining what I heard & was told. I'm done splitting hairs with the minutae..

And I am done grinding for espresso since this minutae is malfuntioning as manufactured - again I do not understand the advice.  I didn't put it together so I have no control over the screw placement originally.  I removed the screw and now it sits in the middle of the middle slot of the three available windows to choose from - not sure if it is in the left or right hole though but it shouldn't matter since it is not adjusted for maximum fine grinding.  

When one of these holes was created at the factory it pushed a dimple up above the screw hole on the plastic surface the burr sits on - I wonder if this affected the alignment of the burr?

Paulraff

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011, 5:53pm

CraigA Said:

Eric, the extreme far right on the furthermost right hand slot is the finest setting in the espresso range. The standard default position from the manufacturer AFAIK is right in the center of the center slot position.

Hi Eric and Craig. I asked Kyle about this specific point and he told me: "Another word about the screw being in the right slot: we set our grinders up using the "zero" point to set the calibration screw. We define the "zero point" as that place where (without beans in the machine) the burrs begin to touch. We set up Virtuoso's to begin to touch between 8-10, then we set the screw in place. The purpose of the calibration screw is to make each of our grinders the same (from the production line). In essence, we are able to compensate for all manufacturing tolerances thru the use of this calibration system. All commercial grinders have similar capability, but this is unique among household grinders."

So I guess that the calibration screw will not always be in the centre of the centre slot position, but the grind scale should be consistent once they get the "zero" point right.

Eric, I got two replacement Precisos from Baratza. The latest one is working great. Normally I would be freaked out at having to get three machines in a short space of time, but manufacturer, importer and retailer were all so helpful at explaining and sorting my issues that I'm glad I stuck with them.

I haven't checked where the calibration screw is on this machine. With a bit of luck I will never have to...

;-)

Cheers.....Paul
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011, 6:08pm

EricBNC Said:

When one of these holes was created at the factory it pushed a dimple up above the screw hole on the plastic surface the burr sits on - I wonder if this affected the alignment of the burr?

It possibly could have, if the anchor screw was overtightened & pushed up the circumferential flat surface lip area above the screw too much causing distortion., like a miniature peak ^. If not too high, try pushing the adjusting ring down against a flat counter top to level it out some. It may break away there though, at that spot.
Once the screw is secured, it's going to 'bow' it out again anyway. That tiny 'spot' is nothing compared to the circumferential area of the whole lip, so I'd say it's inconsequential.

CraigA
CraigA

Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011, 6:16pm

Paulraff Said:

Hi Eric and Craig. I asked Kyle about this specific point and he told me: "Another word about the screw being in the right slot: we set our grinders up using the "zero" point to set the calibration screw. We define the "zero point" as that place where (without beans in the machine) the burrs begin to touch. We set up Virtuoso's to begin to touch between 8-10, then we set the screw in place.

Thanks Paul, I know this.

showing page 3 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Virtuoso Preciso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.39049911499)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+