Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Virtuoso Preciso Problem
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Virtuoso Preciso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 10 last page next page
Author Messages
gmarrese91
gmarrese91
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90, Rancilio...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Roaster: Turbo Crazy, Popcorn Popper...
Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011, 5:18am
Subject: Virtuoso Preciso Problem

Hey Guys,

Ive had my virtuoso preciso for about 5 months now, and it has always worked perfectly.  Last night though, I was making espresso for company and after my fifth shot, the coffee poured out of the portafilter and filled a shot glass in about 1-2 seconds.  Thinking i had made a mistake, i checked the grinder setting and it was at 7 macro, which is supposed to be an extremely fine grind.  I attempted to grind again, and still the grinds that came out looked like they were as course as drip.  I put the setting on 1, the absolute lowest, and still the grounds came out extremely coarse.  Any ideas as to why its not working or what could be wrong? It happened all at once so I quickly dismissed the thought of worn out burrs.  Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
Pinch
Pinch
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket evo cellini v2
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: El Cheapo B&D
Roaster: Popper, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Sep 21, 2011, 7:25am
Subject: Re: Virtuoso Preciso Problem

Hi Gianmarco,

I can only think that the plastic top burr holder might be broken...

Marc
daveupstateNY
daveupstateNY

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario &...
Vac Pot: Yama 2 & 5 cup
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster CD,...
Roaster: Don't roast ... yet!
Posted Wed Sep 21, 2011, 7:55am

Pinch Said:

Hi Gianmarco,

I can only think that the plastic top burr holder might be broken...

Marc

Posted September 21, 2011 link

+1 check to see that the "locating tabs/ears" on the upper burr retaining collar have not broken off. This will happen if a stone and/or hard bean gets trapped between the burrs. Note: this is by design, not a problem. New retaining rings can be purchased directly from Baratza on their "store" web page.

Ciao,

Dave
gmarrese91
gmarrese91

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90, Rancilio...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Roaster: Turbo Crazy, Popcorn Popper...
Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011, 7:27am

thanks for the reply.

I checked the upper burr holder, and it seems fine, nothing is broken off.  The only thing i notice is a slight hairline crack in the plasting.  Nothing is protruding or indented and nothing is broken off though, and the crack is only barely visible so im not sure this could be it, but i'll call baratza as soon as i can and ask them.  If anyone else has any other advice feel free to chime in! thanks.
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Sep 25, 2011, 10:12am

There could be a problem with any of the 6 tabs on the micro sliding collar #1 or any of the 3 tabs on the calibration ring #2 being broken off, damaged., & lastly #3.

CraigA: Pict502.1.JPG
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Paulraff

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011, 12:08pm

Hi Gianmarco.

Did you get this resolved? The reason I ask is that exactly the same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what the cause of the problem is. The supplier here in Ireland immediately offered me a replacement, which is great. I'm waiting for new stock to arrive soon. But since I have no clue what went wrong I'm nervous that it may happen again with the replacement machine too.

Paul
Bob_M
Bob_M
Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011, 4:59pm

FWIW As I was doing precision checks on my esatto the preciso froze up after abt 5 rather rapid runs..after a while it ran ok then froze again...I assummed that the burrs heated up and expanded..maybe I was lucky I didn't hurt anything (it seems to be working ok)
Paulraff

Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011, 11:49am

Update: got a replacement Preciso today and had even more problems with that one. Tried a couple of grinds at 10 and 12 and the results were so fine I couldn't get a drop at all out of my Gaggia. I took off the bean hopper and ring burr and cleaned out the ultra-fine grinds. Then I found I couldn't get the ring burr to sit back correctly in its slot. The adjustment ring wouldn't rotate at all.

Horror!  :-(

The suppliers are still being helpful and delivering a replacement. However, as I hate it when I don't fully understand a problem I stripped down the latest machine and discovered three unusual issues (for a brand new machine). I've just now sent a query to Baratza to help me out but maybe someone here will have something to offer as well?  ;-)

When I took off the casing I found three things that surprised me a bit.

(1) A small piece of black plastic dropped out. On closer inspection this turned out to be one of three small flanges on the bottom of the adjustment ring. I don't know if this is likely to cause operational problems (but it certainly was not the reason why the ring burr would not fit properly, see below).

(2) The calibration screw was in the right-most slot, which is the finest grind calibration setting. I would expect this to be in the normal (centre) slot for a new machine. When I examined it I could see that it has certainly been in the normal slot at some stage because the markings were visible where the screw had been tightened previously. This explains why a setting of 10 produced something akin to a Turkish grind when I used it. I don't know whether this calibration setting was done in the factory or not. It seems odd though.

(3) Once I could examine the adjustment ring properly I worked out what was causing the problem inserting the ring burr. The calibration screw had been tightened so that it was protruding a tiny amount through the inside wall of the adjustment ring. This was a very small protrusion but it was enough to prevent the upper burr sitting completely into its position because it hit the protruding screw a millimetre or two above its correct position. When I loosened the screw a small amount the burr fitted correctly. I could also see that there were two small holes in the ring wall  where the screw had been tightened previously. And when I loosened the screw so that the burr would fit then there is an element of play in the adjustment ring as the screw can move back and forth the length/width of whichever of the three slots it is placed in (i.e. left slot=coarse, centre=normal and right=fine). I don't know whether this is supposed to be the case or whether the screw is meant to stick into the inside ring wall so it can not move at all within its slot (meaning it almost certainly protrudes a little bit out the other side though).

As I say, I've asked Baratza. And the issues are not that major. It still looks like a good grinder. But I'd appreciate any comments or advice. And maybe my experience will help others who encounter similar issues.

Cheers everyone.
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011, 12:41pm

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the Coffeegeek forums! {;-)

Sorry to hear you're having problems!

You're wrong on a few counts & I can explain it to you. I added you as a contact on MSN Messenger & an introduction email also through the system to you., WLM Windows Live Messenger to discuss your grinder if you wish.
Not related, but this pic for  Paul (Thurs Nov 24th MSN chat live start 1:26PM Toronto time) shows a major broken away piece of one of the Micro ring lugs.

CraigA: Pict455.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Paulraff

Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011, 1:49pm

Thanks for your response Craig  :-)  I've accepted the WLM invitation. I would love to get any advice you have.

I've also got a prompt helpful response from Kyle at Baratza. The problem with the calibration screw breaking through is not unknown to them but it is very rare. He told me "we use 30% glass filling to further strengthen the part [micro-adjustment ring], this should allow the screw to be tightened (even in the middle of the slot) without deforming the slot and allowing the screw to go too deep".

So far, the good things coming out of this episode are:

(1) Baratza and the local suppliers in Ireland (Marco Beverage Systems and Coffee Angel) are proving themselves to be helpful, knowledgeable and customer-focused.

(2) I'm already finding that I can get wisdom, help and support from the Coffeegeek forums.

(3) I'm learning more about my grinder than simply how to plug in it, fill it up and press the grind button.  ;-)
showing page 1 of 10 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Virtuoso Preciso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291253089905)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+