Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Used Commercial Espresso Grinders For $200: What to look for and how to buy
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Used Commercial...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 5:19am
Subject: Re: Used Commercial Espresso Grinders For $200: What to look for and how to buy

I have referred to the MDX several times in other threads, it is a good grinder too. The SJ doser throw is well known and documented but it can be worked around without too much issue. A naked PF is an easy way to get around the placement of the PF forks which are centered under the exit of the doser. Try moving the lever a bit slower when dosing, it will drop much more straight, if using a stock PF, rotate the PF in the forks in a circle as you slowly work the doser, this will give you a much more even dosing of the coffee grounds into the PF.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fox2000
fox2000
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millenium I
Grinder: Mazzer S.J. Auto & MDX
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 10:15am
Subject: Re: Used Commercial Espresso Grinders For $200: What to look for and how to buy

Hi Wayne thanks for the info you are one of my most helpful CG people :) I have a bottomless PF and because I am still weighing most of my doses I keep the filter out of the holder for easy and accurate weighing I also removed the forks on both of my grinders as they both seem to get in my way. I have found rotating the filter and holding it myself to be the best way to overcome overshooting from the doser and it helps to avoid wasted grounds and uneven distribution. I do tend to click the doser fast and hard which may account for how far it overshoots the filter when using the SJ, I will try mellowing out my thwacking a bit. This is why I love CG its easy to overlook simple solutions but a quick search or question posted and you have your answers. The MDX is referred to as a great grinder in many posts however there just isn't the same kind of info available as there is on the SJ. It is very easy to find tutorials on dialing in a SJ or cheap DIY mods to overcome any SJ flaws but for the MDX it is difficult to find. Maybe we can fix that and start a thread on the MDX with instructions on usage, cleaning and useful mods and repairs? I know the info is there but its hard to find especially for newbies like me who don't always know the right terms to search for. I think the most useful advice I have gotten so far on the MDX is to make tiny adjustments, prior to reading one of your posts I had been making pretty large adjustments and wasted tons of coffee trying to dial in the MDX. It took several tries to find the info I needed to dial in which is why my biggest compliant about the MDX and other less known commercial grinders is lack of readily available info.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 5:05am

Your right, the MDX does not have a lot of info on it specifically, it is a solid grinder that does a very good job. It does have some plastic in it's construction which may or may not be an issue for you, me or anyone LOL!

The same basic procedures work for all commercial grinders though and make small adjustments, little changes make a big difference. I think there is so much more info on the SJ because there are a lot more of them out there and they practically never wear out. YES they do wear out and there have been a few posts from frustrated owners of worn out SJs but that is the exception rather than the rule.

I like both the SJ and the MDX, actually I like the adjustment mech on the MDX better because of the micrometer adjustment style but that does not make it any better or worse than the SJ, just different. Dodge, Chevy, Ford kind of thing. (Note Dodge first, ya know which I tend to favor and which order I fall on that subject? LOL!)

YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 8:17am

One advantage of the MDX (I have its little brother the MDM), the adjustment mechanism means no threading on the burr carrier.  That mean no crossed threads and no clogged threads when cleaning or replacing burrs.  Its a secondary benefit, but I have seen posts with exactly those issues.
fox2000
fox2000
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millenium I
Grinder: Mazzer S.J. Auto & MDX
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 12:11pm

I found the adjustment on the MDX much easier as well making tiny adjustments is very easy. Occasionally I have struggled with small adjustments on the SJ adjustment ring it can take a little man handling :) Due to the fact I had read so much about the SJ initial setup was much easier. The threads is a very good point I was petrified of cross threading the SJ the 1st time after hearing so many warnings. Also the MDX has the benefit of keeping its setting when taking off the top burr carrier. I agree the small amount of plastic is not really relevant for home use. In a cafe it may matter? when I got the MDX from a cafe owner it had a shattered hopper lid a brand new hopper apperantly the old one met an untimely demise. It also has a missing doser lid and a small crack in the doser, that said most of those parts are plastic on all grinders so I really don't know if these parts are more durable on the SJ. It seems to be really just be personal preference when it comes to home use or even just availability and cost so the car analogy seems accurate :)
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Used Commercial...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.214767932892)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+