Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Rancilio Rocky problem, rough lower threads want to get jammed.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Rancilio Rocky...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
benpiff
benpiff
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: RocketR58,GrimacMini,Vetrano
Grinder: LSM FK Conical,Major
Vac Pot: Vario,Pharos
Drip: Livia 90, NS Elli
Roaster: Sonofresco ADR
Posted Tue Nov 8, 2011, 4:08pm
Subject: Rancilio Rocky problem, rough lower threads want to get jammed.

Hi all, I acquired a Rocky with a jammed upper burr that took a lot of work to remove. The grinder had hardly been used, but upon closer inspection the lower threads look rough with some obviously damaged parts (little nicks in the threads). Does a tap or repair tool this big exist? The upper burr carrier still looks fine.

This silver steel looking piece looks to bolt to the top of the motor, does anyone know where a replacement can be had? Or am I stuck trying to look for someone who is parting out a Rocky? If I try to thread in the upper burr carrier, it gets tight within a couple of turns and just wants to get jammed again. Thanks for any help!

Edit: I've emailed a couple shops and have heard that to replace this means replacing the whole motor. So thanks for any repair ideas or if anyone knows of a donor motor!

www.oldparkedcars.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Nov 9, 2011, 6:07pm
Subject: Re: Rancilio Rocky problem, rough lower threads want to get jammed.

Now you know why the grinder was for sale LOL!
At this point about all you can do Is to get a set of jewelers files and  see what you can do about filing of the rough spots

There is no easy fix for your problem other than fiddly tedious work with a file.

There are tools made for cleaning up threads that look like files but I do not remember seeing one that will match the threads in your grinder. You may be able to find a set of jewelers files that are bent on the end or have a bend in them so they can reach around places I think this would be your best bet. Good luck!

EDIT, this is a closed Ebay auction but it is the tool I would use for this job.
Click Here (www.ebay.com)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SLCCoffeGuy

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 9:31am
Subject: Re: Rancilio Rocky problem, rough lower threads want to get jammed.

Hi BenPiff,

Did you ever get your grinder fixed? I came across your posting looking for people parting out a grinder. Are you going to part it out?:)

Your best bet is to either take it to a machine shop where they can retap it or take a small sharp object and try to clear the burr from the threads.

From my readings, this is fairly common issue on the Rocky.

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Rancilio Rocky...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.194570064545)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+