Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
How to cut a bean hooper
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > How to cut a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Sylvain

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Marzocco GS3
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011, 4:23am
Subject: How to cut a bean hooper

Hello, I just have bought a Mahlkonig K30 Vario with a short bean hooper.  The bad news, its too high by almost 1 inche to fit under my cabinet.  I know it before buying but want this grinder anyway.  I am thinking seriously about cutting the hooper to fit under the cabinet.

Anyone here have done it before ?  If so, whats the way you have made it ?  Or, have you find a shorter hooper from another brand ?  Thanks a lot for the help.

Sylvain
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011, 6:47am
Subject: Re: How to cut a bean hooper

I've read a post from a guy who uses the K30 without a bean hopper at all.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
Sylvain

Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011, 9:57am

Hello

I have read that post some time ago.  I was thinking about buying a Versalab or a K30.  I have taken my decision on the Mahlkonig because of the bean hopper.  But before buying, I knew of the hight problem.  Now, I just want to make it with a hopper to fit under my cabinet.  Its look like I will used a saw or dremmel.  Sylvain

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011, 10:36am

Hello

I had to do this when I first bought a Mazzer grinder. At the time, the hopper was about15mm too high to fit under my cupboards (I've since remodelled my kitchen and now it would have been OK...)

I followed some helpful instructions I think I found on here.  Assuming it's made of a plastic that can be cut, start by placing it top down on a flat surface.  Find a thin marker pen, and place it horizontally on the same surface at the height you want to remove. Turn the hopper 360 degrees against the marker to give you a nice even line.

I then used a very fine hacksaw, followed by very fine abrasive paper to get a smooth finish.  Not too sure about a dremel, it might be more difficult to keep a straight line ?

Will the hopper lid still fit if you take off the amount you need to ?

Best of luck.  Hope it's successful.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011, 10:56am

__________ Said:

I followed some helpful instructions I think I found on here.  Assuming it's made of a plastic that can be cut, start by placing it top down on a flat surface.  Find a thin marker pen, and place it horizontally on the same surface at the height you want to remove. Turn the hopper 360 degrees against the marker to give you a nice even line.

I then used a very fine hacksaw, followed by very fine abrasive paper to get a smooth finish.  Not too sure about a dremel, it might be more difficult to keep a straight line ?

Posted October 4, 2011 link

This is pretty much how I did it too, except that I wrapped the hopper with masking tape in the area of the cut (maybe 1 inch on either side of the line) before marking and cutting (to avoid permanent marks or scratches).  Also, it's a good idea to lube the saw blade frequently using a 50/50 mix of dishwashing soap and water.  

The second hopper I cut was done using a dremel fixed to a stand and the hopper was rotated on a flat surface to assure a level cut.  It worked out well, but I think the hacksaw was really just as easy.  

As for a lid, I used a small Mazzer hopper lid on the K30 original hopper.  I actually measured so that my cut hopper would fit the lid after making the cut (i.e. make the cut so that the finished diameter fits the smaller lid).  Below is a picture of the end result, it was pretty short.

JonR10: K30 shorthop.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
Sylvain

Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011, 11:07am

Ah !!!  I know for sure I can have good trick from peoples here.  I have on hand a cover from my Mazzer short hopper.  I will cut it after works and will give you news tomorrow.

Thanks again to all for the information.

Sylvain
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011, 9:57pm

JonR10 Said:

...I wrapped the hopper with masking tape in the area of the cut (maybe 1 inch on either side of the line) before marking and cutting (to avoid permanent marks or scratches).  Also, it's a good idea to lube the saw blade frequently using a 50/50 mix of dishwashing soap and water...

Using tape and lubrication sounds like a great idea in order to prevent the plastic to crack during sawing and get a smooth cut.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Sylvain

Posted Wed Oct 5, 2011, 4:50am

Hello, just to let you know the job is done.  The bean hopper I have is the short one with hinge lid and the plastic is really thick.  I have follow all your trick and its looks like the photo of JonR10.

Thanks again.

Sylvain
enigma9051

Posted Mon Oct 17, 2011, 11:55am

Sylvain Said:

Hello, I just have bought a Mahlkonig K30 Vario with a short bean hooper.  The bad news, its too high by almost 1 inche to fit under my cabinet.  I know it before buying but want this grinder anyway.  I am thinking seriously about cutting the hooper to fit under the cabinet.

Anyone here have done it before ?  If so, whats the way you have made it ?  Or, have you find a shorter hooper from another brand ?  Thanks a lot for the help.

Sylvain

I don't know if a hopper for a Mazzer Mini could be adopted to fit, but this company makes one 2/3's the Mazzer short hopper height. (Just an idea).
http://www.espressoparts.com/MAZ_85M
enigma9051

Posted Mon Oct 17, 2011, 12:06pm

Here's a couple of pix where someone modified a $25 Macap M4 hopper by cutting the bottom off the M4 hopper and gluing it to the black part of the K30 hopper.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > How to cut a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.284837007523)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+