Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 151 of 199 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011, 3:44pm
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

Yes right, there's no damage to DV2., the damage is to the underlying copper circuit pathway. The DV2 shell gets bumped/banged & the copper strip/pathway gets torn away from the rest of the pathway creating an open circuit. That in turn creates an inrush of current that overwhelms the current carring design parameters of the circuit & burns out/frys the two (2) resistors.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
greekespresso
greekespresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mahlkönig Vario Home, Anfim...
Posted Sat Oct 1, 2011, 12:52pm

Any recommendations for brush to clean Vario’s burrs?  I vacuum clean mine but it does not work well for cleaning the slots of the burr’s flat head screws.
Many thanks

www.greekespresso.gr
 View Profile Link to this post
kmetzger
kmetzger
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011, 12:23pm

My new circuit board arrived today. After installing it and reassembling the grinder, the good news is the motor is now running. The bad news is it won't grind anything. All I get is a high pitched noise. I took it apart again to make sure the belt wasn't stripped. The belt is fine. The burrs spin when I press the safety switch. Any ideas?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GDK

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: MiniVivaldi II, preinfusion,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario W
Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011, 12:59pm

Place only a few beans in the hopper (like 6-7) and try grinding without the bin cover and have a peak to see if lower bur spins. Your belt may be slipping under normal load but it should work with a few beans in the system. If that is the case, you may have to clean the belt mechanism.
kmetzger
kmetzger

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011, 3:05pm

Problem solved. When I reassembled the unit after replacing the circuit board, I neglected to keep tension on the belt before tightening the screws. It works fine now.
mayong_md

Posted Wed Oct 26, 2011, 8:44pm
Subject: Re: grinder fineness setting and burr wear

Hi listers. Greetings. I just got hold of a Vario, bought from one o' you CG's :-) Shipped to the Philippines, thanks to the very kind and accommodating CG member I got it from.

My question is: I roast my own coffee in an air popper and a home made drum. Beans are local Mountain Province (Sagada and Barlig) high-grown arabica's. Calibrating my grind to pull the 27sec or so ~1oz single, I arrive at the setting wherein the Right lever is at the topmost finest position and the left lever 7 notches up from the lowest position. Before I even started using the grinder, I calibrated the burrs (as in the video) where the motor labors at the finest coarse setting and the fineness (left) is at midpoint.

Will I wear out my burrs quicker at this setting? I wouldn't want that, but I've no choice as of the moment. Next bean choice would be starbucks or some local coffee bar with black and oily beans.

Thanks!
Mario
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Oct 26, 2011, 10:17pm

Mario, though many here have found a GENERAL sweet spot with the Macro 1 down from the top and the Micro close to where yours is set, I believe you'll be fine.
Still, if you haven't yet, I'd do a complete cleaning of the grinder.
Remove the hoper, upper burr, then remove the 3 little screws holding down the lower burr. Carefully remove the screws and lift out the lower burr. Either brush out our blow out the debris with compressed air, being careful not to blow stale grind into the back inside of the grinder. (I hold an index card back there to deflect blown grind. DO NOT LIFT THE GRINDER AND TURN UPSIDE DOWN!!

Lift both levers up and down several times to make sure no grind is caught in there. In particular, the MACRO lever should FREELY go all the way to the top with no resistance the last few clicks.
When the grinder inside is clean, clean the burrs with a cloth, no water, reinstall the lower burr with the 3 screws. tighten evenly, but don't over torque them.

Then re-install the upper burr assembly, and hopper.

I'd re-calibrate, and perhaps reset your levers to MACRO, 1 notch down from the top, Micro 7-8 up from the bottom.

If you get gushers, it's your beans. They are probably weeks if not months old.
Or, it could be your espresso machine. You didn't mention which machine you have.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
mayong_md

Posted Thu Oct 27, 2011, 4:16am

@IMAWriter: thanks for the insight.

The beans are fairly new from roast, 3-5 days, though I might think it may be the beans. I tried left over, stale, caffe mauro beans, and choked my machine with the present setting. I was able to get the "pour" at the setting that you mentioned. It tasted awful, though.

My machine's a Grimac Mia.

Oh, and BTW, I got the Vario new.

I've been critiquing the shots, and there is a dark halo in the cup. The taste a bit sour with a bitter finish. I believe its on the overextracted side, so maybe I can bring the MICRO adjustment down a notch or two still.

The experiment continues....dun dun duuun....

Thanks again.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Oct 27, 2011, 5:32am

Mario, usually the dark ring around the cup indicates a TOO hot water temperature. Interesting you say the shots are "sour" as that is usually a description of a "too cool" shot, while "bitter" is what is usually the descriptive term used for a overly hot pull.
Of course, it could also be that you're getting uneven extractions.
Are you using a proper stainless tamper, and does it fit tightly within the basket?

What method do you use to "distribute" the fresh grind evenly in the basket?
I've found over time the LEAST amount of fiddling with the coffee the better!

I assume there is no "crema enhancer" with your machines PF and basket?
if so, remove it.
5 Days post roast is a good starting point to begin pulling shots with most blends and Single origins.

Sorry you're having trouble. Hang in there.

EDIT...to your subject line, I believe you should perform the calibration on your Vario. were you given the little "oil can' shapped 2mm adjustment tool?

If not a 2mm allen wrench will do.
The procedure is described in the manual, which is also available as a pdf online.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Thu Oct 27, 2011, 5:54am

mayong_md Said:

Calibrating my grind to pull the 27sec or so ~1oz single, I arrive at the setting wherein the Right lever is at the topmost finest position and the left lever 7 notches up from the lowest position. Before I even started using the grinder, I calibrated the burrs (as in the video) where the motor labors at the finest coarse setting and the fineness (left) is at midpoint.

Will I wear out my burrs quicker at this setting?

Posted October 26, 2011 link

Mario - In order to get a fine enough grind on my Vario-W I had to set the grinder so that the motor labored at +1 Macro and about halfway down the micro, and the actual grinding is set to 0 on the macro and about +4 on the micro (1D on the Vario-W). I worried about it so asked Baratza and they said the motor on these grinders is very robust and not to worry about running it so fine, even though the motor is laboring quite a bit. As long as you're not getting metal-on-metal sounds, the grinder can take it.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
showing page 151 of 199 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.302098989487)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+