Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Virtuoso Preciso Problem
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Virtuoso Preciso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012, 1:59pm
Subject: Re: Virtuoso Preciso Problem

samuellaw178 Said:

I see. Pardon my another question: How far would be too far? This is my procedure: When I adjust the grinder, I run the grinder, turn the hopper to about 20 one step at a time (maybe about 0.5-1 sec in between). Then again, slowly go down further Macro setting one step at a time and pay attention to the sound. I would quickly back off when I hear a different sound (definitely less than 1 sec or maybe 0.5 sec), assuming that was the zero point. Is this not advisable to do so?

Posted February 23, 2012 link

No that's ok. Don't keep the burrs rubbing together though.

That would be very helpful for all Preciso users. Thanks Craig! Embarrassingly, I think I did see your post somewhere about that but didn't read into detail *shame*

I looked briefly, but am too busy to look in depth.. It'd be nice if maybe someone else could post the link with pic if they've come across it in their forums travels.

In the meantime, I'll post the pic though.

I've put in a pic of the aluminum gear shaft end to show how it may rub on the old style base plate.

P.S. I did post the pic of my solution to solve the problem of the popping up of the base/bottom anchoring ring #3 above this pic. The problem occurs if the white retaining nibs/nubbins get worn or rounded over if for some reason an end user is snapping #3 on & off too much.

CraigA: php51FdGgPM.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012, 2:15pm

all the support is great...but geez, is it just me or does there seem to be a lot of problems already on a product that hasnt been on the market for very long.

it's really having me reconsider my view on the quality of baratza products
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012, 2:21pm

frank828 Said:

all the support is great...but geez, is it just me or does there seem to be a lot of problems already on a product that hasnt been on the market for very long.

it's really having me reconsider my view on the quality of baratza products

It seems very common for most products to go through a bit of a hiccup in the first round of production. the Vario had some issues for awhile as well but you no longer see many posts about this anymore.

My father always told me to never buy the first year production of a car.
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012, 3:52pm

germantownrob Said:

It seems very common for most products to go through a bit of a hiccup in the first round of production. the Vario had some issues for awhile as well but you no longer see many posts about this anymore.

My father always told me to never buy the first year production of a car.

haha and you own the vario, preciso and esatto
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012, 4:04pm

frank828 Said:

haha and you own the vario, preciso and esatto

Each one was an early version and each one had its own set of problems that have been worked out and work great now, my dad was correct as always. The Esatto only needed to be recalibrated, the Vario needed replacement after 6 months, and the Preciso needed the new updated adjustment ring, there was definitely frustration but Baratza is very good at resolving these issues as they arise, at least my Virtuoso has only needed burrs over the last 5 years.
Intrepid510

Posted Sat Feb 25, 2012, 4:12pm

I didn't feel like starting a new thread but my grinder started making a different toned pitched when grinding at all settings, I am going to open it up and see if there is anything obviously wrong with it but I did grind another shot and drip with it and it works fine, just the noise is off. Anything I should be looking for?

Less water, more grounds.
Intrepid510

Posted Sun Feb 26, 2012, 9:07am

Well I have come to the conclusion that I am going to use it until something happens, unless someone much wiser than myself says other wise.

I have also thought of a better way to describe it, it sounds like something is slipping like a belt. When the grinder is empty it sounds normal and when it grinds it works fine. However when it goes from having beans in the hopper to nothing it sounds like a belt is slipping inside the grinder. It's just odd t me that it doesn't slip when under load like you would expect if a belt was slipping.

samuellaw178
samuellaw178

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: Rosco Mini
Drip: French Press, Aeropress,...
Roaster: DIY Copper drum roaster
Posted Sun Feb 26, 2012, 9:51am

Intrepid510 Said:

Well I have come to the conclusion that I am going to use it until something happens, unless someone much wiser than myself says other wise.

I have also thought of a better way to describe it, it sounds like something is slipping like a belt. When the grinder is empty it sounds normal and when it grinds it works fine. However when it goes from having beans in the hopper to nothing it sounds like a belt is slipping inside the grinder. It's just odd t me that it doesn't slip when under load like you would expect if a belt was slipping.

Posted February 26, 2012 link

From my experience, the motor sound does change and vary sometimes. It's like it's changing its pitch every once a while. I was concerned initially but don't think it's a problem now. I am not sure if your noise is the same as mine though.
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Feb 26, 2012, 10:09am

Intrepid510 Said:

There's no drive belt in a Preciso, only the Vario..
What you're describing is the sound of beans/loading, no beans/unloading pitch of the motor & that's normal. All of the Baratza grinders have a direct motor spiral helical drive shaft to an aluminum helical burr transmission driven gear.

CraigA: Pict527.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Intrepid510

Posted Sun Feb 26, 2012, 10:50am

CraigA Said:

There's no drive belt in a Preciso, only the Vario..

Good to know its just making a noise it did not before, hopefully it's just nothing but the grinder aging a little bit. If it does fail I am glad that you are on this forum to help people like me. I appreciate it.

showing page 9 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Virtuoso Preciso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.370803117752)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+