Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Virtuoso Preciso Problem
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Virtuoso Preciso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Nov 24, 2011, 2:04pm
Subject: Re: Virtuoso Preciso Problem

Paulraff Said:

...When I took off the casing I found three things that surprised me a bit.

(1) A small piece of black plastic dropped out. On closer inspection this turned out to be one of three small flanges on the bottom of the adjustment ring. I don't know if this is likely to cause operational problems (but it certainly was not the reason why the ring burr would not fit properly, see below).

(2) The calibration screw was in the right-most slot, which is the finest grind calibration setting. I would expect this to be in the normal (centre) slot for a new machine.

(3) Once I could examine the adjustment ring properly I worked out what was causing the problem inserting the ring burr. The calibration screw had been tightened so that it was protruding a tiny amount through the inside wall of the adjustment ring. This was a very small protrusion but it was enough to prevent the upper burr sitting completely into its position because it hit the protruding screw a millimetre or two above its correct position. When I loosened the screw a small amount the burr fitted correctly. I could also see that there were two small holes in the ring wall  where the screw had been tightened previously. And when I loosened the screw so that the burr would fit then there is an element of play in the adjustment ring as the screw can move back and forth the length/width of whichever of the three slots it is placed in (i.e. left slot=coarse, centre=normal and right=fine). I don't know whether this is supposed to be the case or whether the screw is meant to stick into the inside ring wall so it can not move at all within its slot (meaning it almost certainly protrudes a little bit out the other side though).

As I say, I've asked Baratza. And the issues are not that major. It still looks like a good grinder. But I'd appreciate any comments or advice. And maybe my experience will help others who encounter similar issues.

Cheers everyone.

Posted November 23, 2011 link

I have 1, 2, and 3 happening with my Preciso too.  I put in an RMA request with ROASTe since my 30 day window is almost up but am not opposed to having it repaired. The center photo is the black plastic piece that fell out after I took the case off. I inspected my unit after tearing down to the adjustment rings and found a break in the ring that the fine adjustment tab fits on - see photo on right.

EricBNC: CG BVP.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Nov 24, 2011, 2:15pm

EricBNC Said:

The center photo is the black plastic piece that fell out after I took the case off.

Posted November 24, 2011 link

That 'piece' is nothing to worry about, it's the indexing ("clicker") click stop/lock for grind numbers) that sits on top of a spring, in its respective post in the center of the picture below.

CraigA: Pict512.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Thu Nov 24, 2011, 4:30pm

The broken ring and the way the grinder started cutting out when trying to grind fine enough for espresso are more troubling than the plastic piece to me.  It didn't look broken off so I wasn't worried as much about the plastic tab.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Thu Nov 24, 2011, 5:22pm

EricBNC Said:

I put in an RMA request with ROASTe since my 30 day window is almost up but am not opposed to having it repaired.

I'm a little confused, is this another Preciso or the same one you said on your original post here below;

Hey Guys, Ive had my virtuoso preciso for about 5 months now, and it has always worked perfectly.

The Baratza warranty on a new grinder is one year, BUT from 1 - 90 days (3 months) you get a brand new replacement grinder. From 91 - 365 days (3 months plus a day to 12 months), you get a refurbished replacement grinder.
It's a simple enough task to just replace/pop in the Micro & calibration ring set though.. {;-)

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
samuellaw178
samuellaw178
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: Rosco Mini
Drip: French Press, Aeropress,...
Roaster: DIY Copper drum roaster
Posted Thu Nov 24, 2011, 5:45pm

CraigA Said:

I'm a little confused, is this another Preciso or the same one you said on your original post here below

Notice the username..*blink blink* They're 2 different persons. :P
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Thu Nov 24, 2011, 5:55pm

samuellaw178 Said:

Notice the username..*blink blink* They're 2 different persons. :P

Jees, oops.,sorry! A little tired & somehow I missed that lol! {:-o

EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Thu Nov 24, 2011, 8:57pm

I was able to get the grinder working with the broken ring, but my fine adjustment is gone - I moved the screw to the middle of the slider since espresso grinding isn't happening for this Preciso.  I am able to grind for auto drip and pour over so I am covered till I can communicate with ROASTe and Baratza about what I need to do.

jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011, 8:56am

EricBNC Said:

I have 1, 2, and 3 happening with my Preciso too. I put in an RMA request with ROASTe since my 30 day window is almost up but am not opposed to having it repaired...

Ack! Sorry to hear it, Eric. I vote for a replacement in your case. Don't deprive future bargain hunters of a refurbed Preciso! ;)
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011, 10:15am

jbviau Said:

Ack! Sorry to hear it, Eric. I vote for a replacement in your case. Don't deprive future bargain hunters of a refurbed Preciso! ;)

Posted November 25, 2011 link

You and me both - I wonder if the jamming was caused by too fine (the screw was all the way over to the right in the right side slot) a grind setting.  I will ask Baratza if this is the standard placement.  I tried the 1 800 number but only get a recording so maybe they are out for the holiday.  It might be Monday till I hear back from them, but I am patient by nature - plus Scott at ROASTe extended my return window if things don't resolve to my satisfaction with Baratza.

CraigA
CraigA

Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011, 10:20am

EricBNC Said:

You and me both - I wonder if the jamming was caused by too fine (the screw was all the way over to the right in the right side slot) a grind setting.  I will ask Baratza if this is the standard placement.

Posted November 25, 2011 link

Eric, the extreme far right on the furthermost right hand slot is the finest setting in the espresso range. The standard default position from the manufacturer AFAIK is right in the center of the center slot position.

showing page 2 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Virtuoso Preciso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.375562906265)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+