Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
New grinder needed
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New grinder...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011, 9:34pm
Subject: Re: New grinder needed

So the Vario seems to be the best choice in this prize segment. But can anyone report some first hand experience with the other two grinders (Rocky SD and Eureka MCI [aka Nuova Simonelli MCF])? Did you upgrade and why?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
JtothaR
JtothaR
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: NS Appia, Oscar
Grinder: K10, Lusso, GM 875
Drip: Pour-Over, FP, Toddy
Roaster: Agapao, Metropolis, CC
Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011, 11:44pm

NobbyR Said:

So the Vario seems to be the best choice in this prize segment. But can anyone report some first hand experience with the other two grinders (Rocky SD and Eureka MCI [aka Nuova Simonelli MCF])? Did you upgrade and why?

Posted August 19, 2011 link

Rocky - Steps are too wide, no timer

Eureka - more messy, more coffee waste, no timer

-James

Edit: And yes I upgraded, to the Vario.

Load and Lock.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2011, 12:42am

JtothaR Said:

Eureka - more messy, more coffee waste, no timer...

Posted August 19, 2011 link

Thanks for the input, James. Just one thing: the Eureka is available in three versions (no timer, with timer, and with a timer/manual switch). The Isomac I'm using at the moment has large residual grounds that add up to almost a single shot dose. Is it the same with the Eureka?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
JtothaR
JtothaR

Espresso: NS Appia, Oscar
Grinder: K10, Lusso, GM 875
Drip: Pour-Over, FP, Toddy
Roaster: Agapao, Metropolis, CC
Posted Sat Aug 20, 2011, 9:02am

NobbyR Said:

Thanks for the input, James. Just one thing: the Eureka is available in three versions (no timer, with timer, and with a timer/manual switch). The Isomac I'm using at the moment has large residual grounds that add up to almost a single shot dose. Is it the same with the Eureka?

Posted August 20, 2011 link

Sorry, the one I owned was timerless.

The burr chamber retains about 9g of coffee and the chute retains a further 6-7g. So it's not the best for home use. Mazzers have a smaller chute and retain less.

-James

Edit: If you are set on buying the MCF(Doser) or the MCI(doserless) I'd honestly recommend a Super jolly or mini over either, and the price ranges are comparable (new)

Load and Lock.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2011, 1:44pm

I haven't made up my mind yet. But at the moment I tend towards the Vario.

NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Sat Sep 17, 2011, 1:15am

There you go and decide to buy a Vario asap, and you get a Eureka as a birthday present. Cripes! I must have dropped that it was on my shortlist not only here on this forum. It's a good enough espresso grinder, I guess I should be happy. At least it's the version with a manual/timer switch. It looks nice and sturdy, it's compact, heavy, stepless, and relatively quiet.

And there's a German saying: Einem geschenkten Gaul schaut man nicht ins Maul. (Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.)

I'll write a review as soon as the grinder and I got aquainted.

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011, 9:27am

I have been playing with the NS.  MDX and I am impressed with it. Even with burrs as sharp as a butter knife, it turns out shots every bit as nice as either of my SJs. New burrs are on the way though!

It was the auto version when it was new but someone in the past took off the miocroswitch and made it a manual only. I removed the top of the hopper to get acess to the grind chute to clean the grounds between shots.

The chute is about twice the size of the ones on the SJs. It is also offset to the right to get a better flow out of the grind chamber.

I am running it on a timer and with the dull burrs, it takes 8.5 seconds to grind 18 g while my SJ takes 7.4 seconds to do the same.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
physiodude

Espresso: Expobar Office Lever
Grinder: Compak K3
Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011, 3:54pm

I am thinking the same question.  Currently own Rancilio Rocky but have been urged to K3 Touch.  Also, needing doserless as only 1 coffee drinker in the house.  Just got Expobar Office Lever and am pulling very good shots with it, just thinking of upgrading.  Also, any thoughts what a doserless Rocky should sell for in Canada.  Only 2 years old!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Sep 19, 2011, 3:48am

The number of people does not determine doser or doserless. If you prefer without that's great, but number of coffee drinkers is not the deciding factor.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheMadTamper

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Mon Sep 19, 2011, 6:42am

physiodude Said:

I am thinking the same question.  Currently own Rancilio Rocky but have been urged to K3 Touch.  Also, needing doserless as only 1 coffee drinker in the house.  Just got Expobar Office Lever and am pulling very good shots with it, just thinking of upgrading.  Also, any thoughts what a doserless Rocky should sell for in Canada.  Only 2 years old!

Posted September 18, 2011 link

The K3 Touch is a substantial improvement over Rocky, that much I can guarantee.  I found the move significant.  However in terms of product comparisons I've seen people compare it to the Mazzer Mini (which has lost a lot of its love these days) and to the Baratza Vario.  It gets tricky there, some SUBJECTIVE commentary from two posters that owned both...one preferred the Vario, one preferred the K3.   Yet the Vario is most often compared to a Super Jolly.  And I don't honestly think the K3 is quite up to an SJ in output, though I've not owned an SJ.   I will say the K8 (83mm flat burr grinder from Compak) is substantially better in output than the K3, and is nearly as good as the K10 (the big 68mm conical grinder from Compak.)   But of course we're talking about whole different size ranges and price points.  

I think the pros of the K3 are:
Much better than Rocky
Very consistent
Very fluffy grinds without much clumping issue (no need for WDT)
Timed grinding, though a pain to adjust, is pretty accurate and consistent.

Cons of the K3 are:
Not as good grinding as K8...presumably this means not as good as SJ as well (but no true taste testing has really been done against it that I've seen)
Tends to require a big purge to get stale grinds out if you don't sweep out or vac out the chute.  I haven't had ANY purge on the K8 so far, but I vac the chute on there and did not on the K3.  Unfair comparison.

It's definitely a nice, robust grinder and is very consistent and good quality grinds.  If I had not had a K10 (or, now, K8) I'd never have noticed a particular flaw in the flavor.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New grinder...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.331068992615)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+