Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
project worth doing?
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > project worth...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Sep 9, 2011, 9:59am
Subject: project worth doing?

From time to time I can get my hands on used commercial grinders. They range over all brands, conditions and configurations, doser, hoppers etc.

I would be able to buy, clean up and then sell them here in the sub $200 range. They won't always be our favored brands but they will all be commercial espresso grinders.

Most of the time, they have been rode hard and have been put away wet, and I have to buy, as is, no testing. I would not sell anything not working properly but they may need new burrs.

What is the feeling about This?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheMadTamper

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Fri Sep 9, 2011, 10:40am
Subject: Re: project worth doing?

calblacksmith Said:

From time to time I can get my hands on used commercial grinders. They range over all brands, conditions and configurations, doser, hoppers etc.

I would be able to buy, clean up and then sell them here in the sub $200 range. They won't always be our favored brands but they will all be commercial espresso grinders.

Most of the time, they have been rode hard and have been put away wet, and I have to buy, as is, no testing. I would not sell anything not working properly but they may need new burrs.

Posted September 9, 2011 link

I think it would be an excellent resource for people looking for quality on a budget.  Personally I think it's a good idea, with a few gotchas.  If it's a brand nobody knows anything about, it'll be harder to recommend to anyone.  On the other hand, at the $200 price point, it would be pretty easy to convince people to take them.  At less then the cost of a Rocky, you can get a grinder that sucks less.   I think you should trademark that.  It's a great slogan!

Obviously if they're in bad shape, they're in bad shape.   Needing burrs is no issue around here, though the trouble would be if the burrs required are hard or, worse, impossible to source.  I'm sure most off-brands are using big brand burrsets.  But there's likely that few that have something obscure that no one can find...that would be a big consideration.  I'm sure you could use your discretion on that so long as it doesn't end up becoming too much trouble to deal with.

Besides that, they're all conicals right?  Tell me they're conicals?  Are they conicals? Huh?  Don't tell me they're lousy SJ's or something like that.  Any grinder that's not conical isn't useful.  And it better not be any of those Mahlkonigs!  People that buy Mahlkonigs are transformed into bloodthirsty demons.  We can't have that.  No Mahlkonigs.  All conicals.  Right? (*begins chanting, surrounded by candles* "roburoburoburoburoburobur") :P
 View Profile Link to this post
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Fri Sep 9, 2011, 11:02am

calblacksmith Said:

Posted September 9, 2011 link

Hi Wayne,

I think that would be a great service to this community.

I realize that this is going to be a labor of love so you can't tie up capital in new burrs for the machines.  If you could give some assment of the motor shaft bearing play and conditition of the burr mounts I think that would pe a good predictor of sutiability for espresso.  I guess sort of like what Orphan does with the hand mills, say which ones will be suitable for espresso and which are only usfull for filter drip.

Thanks,

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Sep 9, 2011, 11:52am

I kind of guessed that it would get some positive return comments. I have a lead on 3 grinders at the moment. I may have some good news on Monday.

There is a sweet 2 gp Expobar 220v that will go on auction next week. I sure would like to get it for myself but the auctions happen while I am at work and I would take a big hit in my paycheck for nothing more than lust of a machine LOL!

The grinders come from the same place. It is an auction house that also sells through the week. The grinders are more of a nusance to them as they are not ready to go straight into commercial service and would likely be bundled with other things anyway.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011, 10:54am

EDIT:

I got excited and forgot to check into the forum rules. I just may have bought several new machines for myself. The last thing I want to do is break the rules here.  Due to my talking about something and acting before I got permission to do it, I just may have broken some rules. I am sorry if this is an issue to anyone so until this is all cleared, this project is on hold.

END EDIT.

Well, the weekend yielded a total of 4 grinders that I can rehab and get out on the market for members who are starting into espresso. All 4 are commercial espresso grinders. Two are out of my own "heard" of grinders as I have gone through them and decided on what I really need and what I don't. Two were from the vendor and they ARE FILTHY!!!! I have a buildup of up to 1/4 (and more in places) of TAR from the coffee that was ground in these poor grinders.

I need to go through these and get them ready but so far all look good as to working and only one NEEDS new burrs, three have used but OK working burrs.

I have:
(2) Firoenzato T.80/A commercial espresso grinders. One with hopper, one without. Both setup as doserless and both are stepless. Teflon tape was used on the carrier of the grinder without a hopper. The one with the hopper is one of my personal grinders. Both should turn out very nice grinds.

(1) Rossi RR45. Automatic. No hopper, needs burrs (about $40) and a power switch. The switch is working but it suffered a bang to the bottom and the cover is loose on the bottom side. Teflon tape was used to take out play in the carrier and it is solid enough that though the grinder is stepped, you can easily remove the step mech and use it stepless.

(1) Gaggia commercial grinder from my personal collection. It has OK burrs and works well. I used it in the past with my 2 gp commercial HX machine. I don't remember what model it is but it is a good grinder.

The prices will be under the $200 mark I said and less.

There is a lot of cleaning to do before I get them "on the market". I will post pics and details in the BSF forum when they become ready.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

TheMadTamper

Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011, 12:00pm

calblacksmith Said:

EDIT:

I got excited and forgot to check into the forum rules. I just may have bought several new machines for myself. The last thing I want to do is break the rules here.  Due to my talking about something and acting before I got permission to do it, I just may have broken some rules. I am sorry if this is an issue to anyone so until this is all cleared, this project is on hold.

END EDIT.

Posted September 12, 2011 link

Isn't there a selling forum for exactly this purpose?   You're not a retailer or manufacturer, you're an individual fixing up old gear and selling it on the forums for ridiculous prices.  I'd be truly shocked if the mods classified it as commercial activity in any way.  I could be wrong....but I'd be kind of amazed.
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011, 12:07pm

TheMadTamper Said:

you're an individual fixing up old gear and selling it on the forums for ridiculous prices.

Ridiculous prices notwithstanding, CG forum rules specifically prohibit exactly what you described.  
"**MUST READ** Buy, Sell and Trade Forum Rules (updated May 2014)"  

I'm betting that an exception will be granted, but we will let the site owner make that decision   :-)

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
JtothaR
JtothaR

Espresso: Faema D92/A1 Smart
Grinder: B VARIO, Krups Conic
Drip: Manual Pour-Over, Bodum...
Roaster: Redbird, Metropolis
Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011, 12:08pm

TheMadTamper Said:

Isn't there a selling forum for exactly this purpose?   You're not a retailer or manufacturer, you're an individual fixing up old gear and selling it on the forums for ridiculous prices.  I'd be truly shocked if the mods classified it as commercial activity in any way.  I could be wrong....but I'd be kind of amazed.

Yeah, I think this sounds like a service to new people who cant afford a passable grinder, not commercial interests. Good luck with it!

-James

Load and Lock.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011, 12:45pm

I contacted JonR off the board, not the other way around.

I have no intention of competing with advertisers or companies but the rules are the rules and it was MY folly to not have checked with the powers that be first.

This still may happen even if I need to take out commercial advertising here and follow those rules. I just want to help the community but the rules are there to protect everyone, not hinder anyone in specific.

However this ends up, it will clearly be within the law.

Thank everyone esp JonR for the interest and guidance here.

I did send an email to the site email address, I have received the autobot reply and I responded to it (I think I did it right :O)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

TheMadTamper

Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011, 1:05pm

JonR10 Said:

Ridiculous prices notwithstanding, CG forum rules specifically prohibit exactly what you described.  
"**MUST READ** Buy, Sell and Trade Forum Rules (updated May 2014)"  

I'm betting that an exception will be granted, but we will let the site owner make that decision   :-)

Those rules all make sense, and this would seem likely to be approved since it's not for a profit which seems to be one of the stipulating rules.  Two parts of the rules I don't understand though is the "no cottage fixer-upper" item which would seem to apply to this but I can't figure out how it would conflict with advertisers or make life unpleasant for guests in the buy/sell forums, and the "no commercial even from a failed business or auction" rule which would seem to apply to this, but while I can see trying to prevent ebay-like regularly occurring posters who constantly try to turn this stuff for a profit, it seems to me there's a lot of posters here who are in positions to acquire old commercial gear.

I don't disagree with the rules outright...I'm just curious about the intended goal of that one. It seems a little left over from the "old world" before commercial gear and tinkerers was flowing with huge regularity through the member base.  It probably deals with advertising somehow...I just can't figure out how (specifically how fixing up an old machine and selling it or the fact that a machine was once used in a commercial environment would affect advertisers.)

*Edit: And, yes, I read the "optional reading"....that one is still a mystery to me :)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > project worth...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.374195814133)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+