Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
New grinder needed
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New grinder...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Aug 16, 2011, 12:17am
Subject: New grinder needed

I need to buy a new grinder in the near future, since my current one is only on loan. There are three models on my shortlist: Rancilio Rocky SD, Eureka Mignon Istantaneo (version with timer and manual), and Mahlkönig Vario Home (which is identical in build to the Baratza Vario).

The grinder is going to work with a Poccino Opus One (identical in construction with the Isomac Millenium exept for a bigger boiler and water tank).

Any advise?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Tue Aug 16, 2011, 7:13am
Subject: Re: New grinder needed

There are hours of reading on this topic, hundreds of hours of contemplation, and thousands of opinions at your finger tips with a search of the forum or google it. Having been afflicted with this topic recently myself let me sum it up for you but by all means wrestle with this yourself but this is were i think you wind up.

1.) All grinders are a compromise in one way or another, freshness, mess, ease of use, expense and it goes on and on and on.
2.) Taste is subjective and your taste is all that matters
3.) ROI is subjective and your money is all that matters

In the end for me the Baratza Vario is pretty darn tough to beat when you consider all things. Personally the next hop would be a Robur, K-10 or the like. I recently purchased a  Orphan Espresso Pharos which is a manual large conical. It much less costly than a Robur but it a slow, messy and has a rather steep and sometimes painful learning curve when it comes to dialing it in.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2011, 7:46am

I definately want a doserless grinder. So the Mazzer Robur and the Compak K-10, while certainly being great macinacaffès, rule out. Apart from busting my budget, too, that is. ;-(

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Aug 16, 2011, 7:51am

Well, I'm most familiar with the Mahlkönig Vario Home (aka "Baratza Vario" in North America) and the Rocky.  Eureka grinders are not sold in the US, as far as I know, under the "Eureka" brand name, but rather they make grinders for other manufacturers (Nuova Simonelli) -- the only Eureka I've had personal experience with is the Nuova Simonelli MCF.

I'd skip the Rancilio Rocky in favor of the Mahlkönig Vario Home every time.  I use this (Baratza Vario) at home for SO espresso, decaf espresso, and every other form of coffee preparation (pourover, press, siphon).  My main grinder for daily use is a Mahlkönig K30 Vario, so perhaps I can be accused of a "Mahlkönig bias," but I do find these grinders to be excellent, easy to use, and I have had ZERO problems with them.

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2011, 7:57am

NobbyR Said:

I definately want a doserless grinder. So the Mazzer Robur and the Compak K-10, while certainly being great macinacaffès, rule out. Apart from busting my budget, too, that is. ;-(

Posted August 16, 2011 link

K10-Fresh is the new dosserless version, its salty which explains my Pharos ;o)

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2011, 8:02am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Well, I'm most familiar with the Mahlkönig Vario Home (aka "Baratza Vario" in North America) and the Rocky.  Eureka grinders are not sold in the US, as far as I know, under the "Eureka" brand name, but rather they make grinders for other manufacturers (Nuova Simonelli) -- the only Eureka I've had personal experience with is the Nuova Simonelli MCF.

I'd skip the Rancilio Rocky in favor of the Mahlkönig Vario Home every time.  I use this (Baratza Vario) at home for SO espresso, decaf espresso, and every other form of coffee preparation (pourover, press, siphon).  My main grinder for daily use is a Mahlkönig K30 Vario, so perhaps I can be accused of a "Mahlkönig bias," but I do find these grinders to be excellent, easy to use, and I have had ZERO problems with them...

Thanks for the input. Given enough kitchen space and an unlimited budget I'd go for a Mahlkönig K30 Vario. Unfortunately I lack both (the budget being limited by matrimonial decree, LOL). I think the Eureka I have in mind and the Nuova Simonelli MCI are indeed identical in construction. What intrigues me about the Eureka is that it's stepless.

JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2011, 9:35am

The Baratza Vario/Mahlkönig Vario Home is so "micro-stepped" as to be virtually stepless -- I have never found myself in between steps, looking for a way to tweak it . . . there are a total of 230 steps!

jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2011, 11:43am

NobbyR Said:

Thanks for the input. Given enough kitchen space and an unlimited budget I'd go for a Mahlkönig K30 Vario.

it's just opinion and your welcome to yours for sure but I don't see the K30 Vario being three times the grinder and price the Baratza Vario is.  When you get into that kind of money you can start thinking large conicals.

EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Tue Aug 16, 2011, 1:05pm

jwoodyu Said:

it's just opinion and your welcome to yours for sure but I don't see the K30 Vario being three times the grinder and price the Baratza Vario is.  When you get into that kind of money you can start thinking large conicals.

Correct - if the brighter taste most report with larger conical grinders is what you are looking for - 64mm & up flats are reported to deliver more sweet chocolate notes.  Guess the well stocked counter should have one of each...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011, 10:03am

jwoodyu Said:

. . .  but I don't see the K30 Vario being three times the grinder and price the Baratza Vario is.

To be fair, while I do think there is a difference between the Baratza Vario (aka Mahlkönig Vario HOME) and the Mahlkönig K30 Vario -- with the K30 being the better of the two (one would hope!) -- the grind quality is close enough that I readily admit the Baratza offers more for the money.  It's long been described as a grinder that plays above its weight class, and it continues to do so.  The K30 Vario should certainly last longer, and the build quality is better, but the Baratza is definitely a bargain at the price.  

jwoodyu Said:

When you get into that kind of money you can start thinking large conicals.

True, but . . .

EricBNC Said:

. . . if the brighter taste most report with larger conical grinders is what you are looking for - 64mm & up flats are reported to deliver more sweet chocolate notes.

As with all things, it's a matter of preference.  Me?  I tend to prefer the chocolatey notes to the bright ones, so -- while I used to think about getting a conical -- I stopped seeing any reason to, once I understood the true behind Eric's comment.  Besides . . . I love my K30!  ;^)

Cheers,
Jason

showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New grinder...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.357012987137)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+