Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Does anybody know the new Breville BCG800 (Smart Grinder)?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Does anybody...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 13 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jbb
jbb
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: silvia v2, la spaziale s1v1
Grinder: rocky, b. vario
Posted Tue Mar 15, 2011, 10:22pm
Subject: Re: Does anybody know the new Breville BCG800 (Smart Grinder)?

JVBorella Said:

I think the Breville is a better brew grinder.

Posted March 15, 2011 link

Do you think this is because of the conical burrs?
 View Profile Link to this post
JVBorella
JVBorella
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Wed Mar 16, 2011, 8:06am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Before or after the breville supplied espresso shim is applied to the grinder?Len

Before the shim kit was installed my Breville could not grind fine enough for decent shots from my pump machine, I didn't try it with the MCaL at that point. After reshimming the grinder it would do a nice job in the coarser Microcasa range which may or may not equal what comes out of the Vario at a similar setting. Hard to say without having them side by side & doing a blind tasting. Unfortunately when I set the grind fine enough to get a range of normal pour times for a typical pump machine using a standard double basket the quality of the output drops way off. The previously fluffy grounds now leave the grinder with lots of dense little clumps that are hard to break up. With some dedicated WDT effort you can produce a decent pouring shot but the resulting shot isn't particularly tasty IMO, whereas the coarser ground shots pulled on the MCaL were pretty nice.

The Breville could definitely use some more power as it slows way down in the fine espresso range taking approx. 30 seconds to turn out an 18g dose. Of course this is only applicable to the grinder as I have it shimmed.

John
JVBorella
JVBorella

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Wed Mar 16, 2011, 8:38am

jbb Said:

Do you think this is because of the conical burrs?

I doubt it as the best brew grinders available use flat burrs. I'm sure it has more to do with the design of the cutting/crushing area of the burr then conical vs flat burrs. The burrs in the B. Vario are designed to produce a very high quality espresso grind & the fact that they can also produce a good brew grind is pretty amazing. Based on the good espresso grinders I've owned they typically don't make very good brew grinders.  The output in the drip range from the Breville was low in fines & produced a sweet vac pot brew with no bitterness once properly dialed in. It didn't bring out the individual flavors as well as my Bunn with the Ditting burrs but I felt it did do a better job then what I got using the stock Bunn burrs. Of course this is going from memory & without a blind tasting comparing the different grinders/burrs it's just my opinion.

John
Leonardopm
Leonardopm

Espresso: Ascaso Dream/Gaggia Baby...
Grinder: Vario Home/Breville Ikon...
Roaster: Popcorn Popper
Posted Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:46am

Hi all,

Just to update you about the shim kit thing...

Got the shims last Tuesday night and installed it. The grinder is now grinding fine enough for my Gaggia Twin and the dosing is OK too. Before the shims I was getting too big doses, probably because of the too coarse grind.

Unfortunately I'm travelling now and can't test my grinder a little more, only after a few weeks.

Leonardo
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Mar 21, 2011, 12:56pm

OK, I only read the first page and this point may or may not have been made but Watts is not an indication of the power OUTPUT of a product, only how much goes IN to the product.

A very inefficient (grinder lets say) may be rated for 200 w and only put out 1/30 HP while another grinder may be rated for 150 w and puts out 1/20 hp.

The first, though rated at a higher wattage than the second, is not as efficient in it's use of power due to poor design and thus uses more power to do less work. The second is a better design and gets more grunt from it's power usage due to better design and so it needs less power to do it' job though it's w ratting is lower, it is the better grinder.

No actual electrical calculations were made or were inferred. I only picked numbers out of the air to make a point.
Please do not say that it is impossible to get 1/20 hp from 150 w using any formulas for hp from watts. SMILE!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue Mar 22, 2011, 1:53pm

Just an FYI.  If you need to get the shim kit for your Breville BCG800, just call:  1-866-273-8455 .  Choose option#2 (all other inquiries).  you may have to wait a bit for an operator to assist you, but from there it is fast going.  They only ask for your name, address, and telephone number.  Shim kit is free, and takes about 7 business days to arrive.  I am waiting now.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ergojuer

Posted Thu Jun 30, 2011, 12:43am

At first, excuse my english, its not the best. ;-)

In this summer/ autumn the breville smart grinder will arrive in germany under the brand "gastroback"  (link Click Here (www.gastroback.de)
I read the english and the german manuals, but there is still a question:

Is there any possibity to adjust the basic grindamount for one shot? I know, that it is possible to adjust the amount in 5 steps of 5% up und downwards.
But if it is neccessary to calibrate the grinder by shims for espressofine grinding, this will result in a smaller amount/ time. I prefer about 9 gr for a single shot. So what happens, when the thicker shim is built in?
I am a little bit afraid, that this will result in a situation, where the basic amount will be far under the the desired 9 gram. Maybe I have to adjust the grinder then by take 20% oder 25% more in the direction stronger. At the end it won`t be possible to vary the amount upwards. Maybe even the basic amount +25% won`t be enough?

All this would be no problem, if it is possible to adjust the basic amount. Further on I could then work with the +- 25%.
zaneus
zaneus
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2011, 5:37am

You can select 1 or 2 shots with the espresso range on the grinder. In the one shot side you have a range between 5ish grams up to 14 grams. i weighed the heaviest and was getting about 7 at a bit below the halfway, didnt bother weighing the smallest amount as i didnt see a need to. In the two shot side of things it goes from as low as 14 up above 24g, i had the dose set to full and let it run. i knew i already had enough grinds so i stopped the automatic dosing early, weighed it at 24.4g. The grinder pretty much gives you any dosing setting you need for espresso. I can't comment on the accuracy of the dosing as i haven't had the grinder for very long, but it seemed accurate +/- a gram which i can live with. I had it set to dose around 18g and i'd weigh that, then pinch some off or grind a bit more in if it needed it
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Tue Aug 16, 2011, 8:02am

calblacksmith Said:

OK, I only read the first page and this point may or may not have been made but Watts is not an indication of the power OUTPUT of a product, only how much goes IN to the product.

A very inefficient (grinder lets say) may be rated for 200 w and only put out 1/30 HP while another grinder may be rated for 150 w and puts out 1/20 hp.

The first, though rated at a higher wattage than the second, is not as efficient in it's use of power due to poor design and thus uses more power to do less work. The second is a better design and gets more grunt from it's power usage due to better design and so it needs less power to do it' job though it's w ratting is lower, it is the better grinder.

No actual electrical calculations were made or were inferred. I only picked numbers out of the air to make a point.
Please do not say that it is impossible to get 1/20 hp from 150 w using any formulas for hp from watts. SMILE!

Posted March 21, 2011 link

Wayne, motor Wattage is just indication of power that goes in as you rightfully mention, but if you put that 150W motor on a 1-11 gear reduction unit, you will actually have 1650W or 2.2 HP torque power... it is not exact but very close and it varies if you use AC or DC motors... : it is mentioned to be interpreted (or confuse the potential buyer), like the 15-18bar pressure quotation given for pumps, that can only mistake or mislead the naive and not the expert, since all you need to brew coffee is 9 bar...... So you cannot simply judge and compare different units on these simple parameters...
ciao, Pietro
JDolezal

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Breville BCG800XL
Posted Mon Nov 28, 2011, 9:18am

zaneus Said:

You can select 1 or 2 shots with the espresso range on the grinder. In the one shot side you have a range between 5ish grams up to 14 grams. i weighed the heaviest and was getting about 7 at a bit below the halfway, didnt bother weighing the smallest amount as i didnt see a need to.

Posted August 16, 2011 link

I find that when I dial in 1 shot with no +/- % change (no bars), I get around 11g of coffee - which is significantly more than is required for a single shot. Is this normal for this grinder? I'm suspicious that the dosing isn't very accurate or consistent.
showing page 13 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Does anybody...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.336082935333)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+