Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Vario Won't Grind Coarse
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario Won't...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Jun 26, 2011, 6:04am
Subject: Re: Vario Won't Grind Coarse

Endo,

You're going to want to have the sliding 2.5 mm hex cap screw adjusted all the way forward as seen in the pic below.

To return the Vario to the factory default setting calibrated for espresso, the Macro lever will be one notch down from the top & the Micro will be set in the center position. Adjust the 2.00 mm set screw till the burrs lightly begin to touch.

CraigA: phpnMZZD8AM.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Endo
Endo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Sun Jun 26, 2011, 3:13pm

CraigA Said:

Endo,

You're going to want to have the sliding 2.5 mm hex cap screw adjusted all the way forward as seen in the pic below.

To return the Vario to the factory default setting calibrated for espresso, the Macro lever will be one notch down from the top & the Micro will be set in the center position. Adjust the 2.00 mm set screw till the burrs lightly begin to touch.

Posted June 26, 2011 link

Craig,

I don't think it's an adjustment issue. I run the grinder with no beans and the zero point (when the motor starts slowing down) is at the factory setting (top macro notch and mid micro). I then put beans in and run it very close to this zero setting (3 micro notches higher so there is no rub, and I get a coarse espresso grind that gives me 14 second shots.

I use the same fresh beans in my Mazzer SJ and I get perfect 30 seconds shots.

I had this issue once before on a new Rancilio Rocky. It seemed to be due to a lack of parallelism between the upper and lower burrs. This caused a rub on one side, and the coarse coffee would shoot out the other side. I had to return it.

This is a refurbished unit that you had sent me. Did the previous owner have the same issue perhaps?

My next step will be a more thourogh cleaning to see if I can spot a grain lodged on one of the datum surfaces.

alnica Said:

Endo - You do seem to have had quite a few issues with your Vario(s). Just as a matter of interest, about how many pounds of coffee have you put through your current one?

Posted June 25, 2011 link

I've only run about 20 lbs of coffee through it.
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Sun Jun 26, 2011, 5:20pm

Endo Said:

Craig,

I don't think it's an adjustment issue. I run the grinder with no beans and the zero point (when the motor starts slowing down) is at the factory setting (top macro notch and mid micro). I then put beans in and run it very close to this zero setting (3 micro notches higher so there is no rub, and I get a coarse espresso grind that gives me 14 second shots.

The factory setting isn't the top Macro notch setting, it's one notch down., & 3 Micro notches higher would be going finer, not coarser..
By what you've just described to me, you're 3 notches finer past the zero point where the burrs touch!

I had this issue once before on a new Rancilio Rocky. It seemed to be due to a lack of parallelism between the upper and lower burrs. This caused a rub on one side, and the coarse coffee would shoot out the other side. I had to return it.

I've heard of it happening, you never know how anything is being treated through the shipping process..

This is a refurbished unit that you had sent me. Did the previous owner have the same issue perhaps?

Please email me offline asap. I have no way of knowing this as I don't know who you are (your CG handle & profile name). Please email me with your real name & serial number of the Vario. I can then check it against my record/service log book to see if your Vario's serial number matches an issue I had with one Vario. That Vario had a new swap out of the white glass reinforced lower burr chamber housing & corresponding black base (Macro/Micro) unit.

My next step will be a more thourogh cleaning to see if I can spot a grain lodged on one of the datum surfaces.

It really doesn't take much throw things out of kilter..

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Endo
Endo

Posted Sun Jun 26, 2011, 7:49pm

CraigA Said:

The factory setting isn't the top Macro notch setting, it's one notch down.,

Oh, I thought 1st macro notch meant the top notch. Oh well, shouldn't make any difference anyway since it's all unuseable below zero. (BTW, I usually set zero at the top notch to avoid accidental load on the motor if the macro lever gets hit by accident).

CraigA Said:

...& 3 Micro notches higher would be going finer, not coarser..
By what you've just described to me, you're 3 notches finer past the zero point where the burrs touch!

Sorry, my lingo is probably not right. What I meant to say was I am only 3 micro notches coarser (lever down) from my zero point.

BTW, I just finished stripping down my grinder. Removed the belt, motor and lower burr carrier. Kind fun (at least better than watching dancing shows on TV, I guess). There were grounds everywhere (including inside the case). Not a lot though. Here's what the underside of the lower burr carrier looked like:

Endo: s.jpg
Endo
Endo

Posted Sun Jun 26, 2011, 7:51pm

.....and here's the star area. (Not too bad).

CraigA Said:

Please email me offline asap.

I'll do that if this latest cleaning doesn't fix things. I'm going through a LOT of prime Papua New Guinea coffee figuring this out! (I knew I shouldn't have thrown out that Starbucks coffee I got for Christmas :-)

Endo: t.jpg
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Sun Jun 26, 2011, 8:02pm

I'm very sorry to hear you're having issues with your Vario Endo! {:-/
Thanks for the updates so far.

I don't have the authority to act on behalf of Baratza, all service inquiries have to first be Ok'd with Baratza head office. Baratza will absolutely take care of you, & so will I secondarily when they give me the go ahead.

Endo
Endo

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2011, 3:55pm

Well, I finally got the grind size down to an acceptable level for espresso (25 sec shot). To do this I had to go 3 notches tighter than my zero!

I don't hear a noticable load change on the motor (though it's hard to tell when beans are being ground). So I must assume the "no bean" zero is different than the loaded "with bean" zero. Maybe some play in the mechanism?
Endo
Endo

Posted Thu Sep 8, 2011, 8:12am

I took everything apart and cleaned it a month ago, but I still can't seem to go from espresso to french press without the lower burr sticking. I need to actually remove the hopper and PRESS down the lower burr for it to "snap down" and change to the coarse setting.

Also, when I go back to espresso afterwards, my zero point is always different (hysteresis). I waste a lot of coffee re-finding my espresso setting, so I've just gone back to my Mazzer SJ for espresso and only use my Vario for French Press.

Any more ideas? Lower burr shaft lubrication perhaps? Or should I just e-mail Baratza support?
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Thu Sep 8, 2011, 9:52am

Endo Said:

Or should I just e-mail Baratza support?

Posted September 8, 2011 link

Yes.  That's where I would have started. Good luck!

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
scrutinizer

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Vario, Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Alpenrost, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Sep 8, 2011, 12:16pm

Endo Said:

Well, I finally got the grind size down to an acceptable level for espresso (25 sec shot). To do this I had to go 3 notches tighter than my zero!

I don't hear a noticable load change on the motor (though it's hard to tell when beans are being ground). So I must assume the "no bean" zero is different than the loaded "with bean" zero. Maybe some play in the mechanism?

Posted June 27, 2011 link

Endo,

Your description of where you are at presently is consistent with the operation of my Vario.  Three clicks coarser than "zero" would produce gushers on my machine and I can never use that coarse of a grind.  Depending on the roast, I am normally grinding in the range that is bounded by a) a few clicks finer than "zero" to b) a few clicks coarser than full up micro position.  The finest of that range normally chokes shots and the coarsest is too fast..thus it works perfectly...if finest does not choke then I recalibrate with 2mm allen and I'm back in business.  This is for a fresh full city ++ style of espresso blend roast.    

While I've seen some posts that touch on this somewhat ambiguously, I am operating under an assumtion that if Baratza wants "zero" to be set at the middle of micro travel, they expect me to be able to use the full range of travel (i.e., do not have to stop at "zero").  Similarly, if it were bad to run the grinder "into the negative" from zero on a properly calibrated unit, then presumably they would have asked us to set the "zero" at the top of micro travel to avoid any possibility of going "negative".  The part that is missing from the manual is a clear statement about how much finer one can go beyond "zero" before there is concern about loading the motor.  I am fine assuming they have set the zero calibration instructions so that you can use all the available range of settings w/o venturing into off-normal operating conditions.  

Pat
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario Won't...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.40722990036)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+