Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Considering: Mazzer SJ (used) or Ascaso I-1 (i-mini or i-steel), or Rocky
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Considering:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mavrick1903

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MCF
Posted Mon Mar 28, 2011, 11:58am
Subject: Considering: Mazzer SJ (used) or Ascaso I-1 (i-mini or i-steel), or Rocky

The Ascaso/Rocky options would be used. or I've found a used Mazzer SJ used for $450. the other options would have shipping involved unless I find a retailer with a free shipping promo (yes, I know they're out there). Any thoughts?

Second question. the stock height of the SJ lists at 24". Does anyone know what the finished height of an SJ with a mini hopper on it? to go with the SJ, it would HAVE to have the mini hopper.

or should I hold out for a used Mazzer Mini for under $400 on ebay or?

I've been reading all kinds of reviews and posts and youtube reviews, FWIW and am still asking the question, so search is reasonably covered already.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Mar 28, 2011, 1:29pm
Subject: Re: Considering: Mazzer SJ (used) or Ascaso I-1 (i-mini or i-steel), or Rocky

Please don't take this the wrong way, but this seems to me to be a no-brainer . . . if you have the space, get the Mazzer SJ and a new set of burrs.  Even if you don't have the space, get Mazzer SJ  . . . and yes, you can fit a smaller hopper on the SJ.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
LeDre

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: Robur
Drip: Hario, Chemex, Kone
Posted Mon Mar 28, 2011, 3:26pm
Subject: Re: Considering: Mazzer SJ (used) or Ascaso I-1 (i-mini or i-steel), or Rocky

The Super Jolly is about 19.5" with the mini hopper. Of course you can reduce the height by using a portafilter basket in the neck of the grinder if space is an issue.
symbology

Espresso: La Spaziale S1V2
Grinder: Macap M7D
Posted Mon Mar 28, 2011, 4:45pm

How about a new La Cimbali Max Hybrid for $615 shipped?

I just picked one up last week from this seller.

http://shop.ebay.com/tdmj2010/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

Also, he has some new Mini's that have been selling for around $425.

-Allen
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Mar 29, 2011, 6:13am

The new and old style SJs are different heights, which one are you looking at? The SJ is by far the best deal of the grinders you listed. Good deals are out there though the price you quoted is not all that bad. I have 2 SJs (an old style and a new one) both fitted with the Mini hopper, which works out great for me as a full hopper will last me about 5 days, so I never get stale coffee!

I will have to go home and measure  the different heights of the two machines to give you a size quote. Neither will fit under our overhead cabs with a hopper though, so I guess it is a good thing that where my coffee bar is setup, I don't have anything overhead!

There is not a LOT of difference between the new and old in relation to size, here is a pic to show the old style on the left and the new on the right. As I said, both have the Mini hoppers on them.

calblacksmith: grinders horz for web.jpg
(Click for larger image)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mavrick1903

Espresso: Isomac Relax
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MCF
Posted Tue Mar 29, 2011, 3:41pm

Update: as the search evolves, we're now onto the Mazzer SJ for $450. Local seller, used, a short hopper would be a must, and the fact it may not fit under cabinet would not go over well. Doser of course. Local shop selling this.

Choice 2: Macap M4. Stepped doser. For sale here for $350 (provided it's still available by the time I get off the fence). Shipping $25. I expect the burrs are half or less left in their life cycle.

Lastly NS MCP. Stepless, doser. $300. Same local seller as the Mazzer, a local repair shop that dabbles in consumer gear.

Doser I think will be fine with my expected use. On my non client visit days I hit the machine throughout the day. On travel-from-home days, I'll be traveling with a 16oz, so pulling 8oz or so, or 4 doubles.

I know the Mazzer may seem like a no brainer, but at $475 (after adding the short hopper) and it's size...
coffee_no_sugar

Espresso: pavoni pub, brasilia club
Grinder: mazzer sj, mdf, infinity
Drip: melitta clarity
Roaster: popcorn
Posted Wed Mar 30, 2011, 3:39am

Doug,

You can use the SJ without a hopper.  Works great for low volume applications.
Personally I prefer storing my beans in a small air tight container than a large
hopper.    The throat of the SJ can only hold enough for a double (fine by me)
and you need a tamper (58?) to keep the beens from flying away.

Wesley
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Wed Mar 30, 2011, 4:03am

mavrick1903 Said:

Update: as the search evolves, we're now onto the Mazzer SJ for $450. Local seller, used, a short hopper would be a must, and the fact it may not fit under cabinet would not go over well. Doser of course. Local shop selling this...

I know the Mazzer may seem like a no brainer, but at $475 (after adding the short hopper) and it's size...

Posted March 29, 2011 link

Your "problem" is that you have 3 good choices.  That's an opportunity.

I look at the intangible of having the chance to see and touch the local Mazzer SJ.  You know the appearance, the dings or lack thereof, that it works, how it grinds and you eliminate potential of shipping damage. That extra money is a one-time sunk cost that amortized over the life of the machine (20 years), runs $.40 more per month than option (2).  That alone would push me over the top.

RE:  Height.  Others have offered suggestions.  You can also get a nice stainless steel canning funnel that's 2.5 inches high for $10 and you have a winner:   Link to Amazon.

Just an opinion.

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Mar 30, 2011, 6:43am

Here you go, I promised the info and here is a pic.
The old style grinder is on the left and the new is on the right. The hopper is the mini and, for me, it is the perfect size. If at all possible, get the SJ and if it will fit, use the mini hopper and a timer to adjust grind volume, you won't be sorry.

You get a very easily adjustable grinder and a very easily adjustable dose size with the timer and a constant pressure of beans on the burrs. Yes I know that you can use the grinder without the hopper but it is soooooooo much nicer with the hopper, take it from someone who has been down both roads.

calblacksmith: grinder height.jpg
(Click for larger image)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Considering:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.267956972122)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+